2_Liter_Turbo's 1992 240SX Coupe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2_Liter_Turbo's 1992 240SX Coupe

This is my 1992 Nissan 240SX Coupe Base Model. On the old internally stock motor (with the GT3071R), I dyno'd the car on a Mustang Dyno, and it put out 342.5 HP and 334.6 TQ at the rear wheels. Full power was between 4k and 6200 RPM. The lack of more power is due to the horrible tune (I do not recommend Emance whatsoever!), and stock cams. I was under 11.0 AFR give or take a few tenths under full boost, and this is at 20psig. I like to do all kinds of driving on the car, which include but not exclusive to: Auto-X, Drag Racing, Drifting, and general Spirited Driving. At the Drag Strip last year's season, I cut an 11.95 @ 114.5 MPH with a 1.61 60 ft.

Over the past year I have been working on a built SR long block to install in the car, and thought I was all done and ready for a tune. Well, it turns out that the ringlands cracked/broke so I have to redo the bottom end... yay. Not entirely sure of the cause just yet, but I'm sure I'll know more soon when I get the motor out.

Below is the "mod list", but obviously some will change with a new bottom end (mainly the pistons of course):

Under The Hood:
    1993 S13 v2 Redtop SR20DET
    Bottom End Balanced, decked, honed, and bored out to 86.5mm.
    86.5mm Mahle 8.5:1 Pistons
    Scat H-Beam Connecting Rods
    ARP Rod Bolts
    ARP Main Studs
    ARP Head Studs
    ACL Race Main Bearings
    ACL Race Rod Bearings
    Brand New SR20DE Crank
    Apexi Metal Head Gasket
    Supertech Dual Valve Springs
    Supertech Titanium Retainers
    Tomei 260 Duration Camshafts (12mm of lift)
    Tomei Solid Lifter Conversion
    Custom (made by yours truly) Rocker Arm Shims
    Megan Aluminum Accessory Pulleys
    ATI Crank Super Damper
    Full-Race Twin Scroll Manifold
    Full-Race/Garret GT3071R Twin Scroll
    Full-Race/Tial 44mm External Wastegate
    Full-Race 3" Turbo Elbow
    Modified Megan 3" Down Pipe
    Modified Apexi GT-Spec Exhaust (3"/3.75")
    HKS Intake Filter
    300ZX TT N62 MAF
    Greddy V-Spec FMIC
    Tial Q BOV
    Tomei Adjustable FPR
    Tomei 740cc Injectors
    Splitfire Coil Packs
    Earls Oil Filter Relocation Kit
    Earls SS Braided Turbo Lines
    Top Fuel Oil Catch Can
    NGK Iridium Plugs
    Westco Miata Battery
    Greddy Oil Pan
    Nismo Radiator Cap
    Mishimoto Radiator
    Circuit Sports Radiator Hoses
    Altima Electric Fans
    Megan Brake Master Cylinder Heat Shield

Power Transfer:
    Kaaz 1.5 Way Clutch Type LSD
    ACT 6 Pad Sprung Racing Clutch
    ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate
    ACT Streetlight XACT Chromoly Flywheel
    Nismo Engine and Transmission Mounts
    B&M Short Shifter
    Shaftmasters 1 Piece Aluminum Drive Shaft

Handling and Grip:
    Complete 5 lug conversion
    Megan Street Coilovers
    Tanabe Chromoly Rear Sway Bar
    300ZX Aluminum Rear Uprights
    SPL Tension Rods
    Project Nissan Adjustable RUCA's
    Megan Adjustable Toe Rods
    R32 Skyline GTS-T Brake Conversion
    SPL SS brake and clutch lines
    ES Sway Bar Bushings Front and Rear
    ES Rear Subframe Bushings
    5 Zigen Typhoons 17x8 +27 Offset Up Front / 17x9 +35 Offset In Rear
    Kuhmo 235/45/17 Tires Up Front / Maxxis MA-V1 275/40/17's in Rear
    (For Drag Racing, I have a pair of OE Mustang Steelies with 26x8.5x15 Mickey Thompson ET Drag Slicks)

Inside the Car:
    S14 OEM Front Seats
    HKS Turbo Timer
    HKS Fan Controller
    Hallman MBC
    Real S13 Silvia Manual Seatbelt Conversion
    Nismo Leather Shift Knob
    Emance Tuned ECU
    Autometer ES Wideband Air/Fuel Gauge
    Autometer ES Electronic Boost Gauge
    Momo Steering Wheel Hub
    Momo Mod 08 Steering Wheel

Styling:
    Clear Turn Signals

Here are a couple photos:

Here is a video:
    Drag Racing My Buddy (12.3 Pass): http://www.vimeo.com/3355139

I plan on replacing a lot of the suspension parts with SPL parts, and get rid of the cheap stuff. Also going to get more serious with the coilover setup as well eventually. For now, I need to get the motor where it is supposed to be, get the chassis stiffened up and straightened followed by a good set of tires, lol. I'm nowhere near finished with this car, but it's been coming along over the past 7 years, lol.

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
    96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

There are plenty of people who have much to say about Emance on KA-T.org. Very little of it is good.

Comment

Yeah I know, I got mine a couple years ago before anyone really knew... lol. The ONLY reason why I went with it in the first place is because I ran out of money... *sigh*

96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

A small update:

I have CP 9:1 86mm pistons coming in the mail, and I picked up a Greddy intake manifold. Using my original long block for the second build (the one that I ran the 11.9 with). It still has great compression and is in awesome shape. Going to just do a finishing hone on the cylinders and use the stock 86mm sized CP pistons to save some money on machine work. Still going to deck it of course (for an MLS HG), and I am going to do some other tweaks to it. Going to also pick up an Ishihara-Johnson crank scraper/baffle setup to help with oil conditions. I also have an AEM EMS sitting on my desk for when it's all back together. No more cheap bs tune...

Selling some of my Silvia front end stuff to help pay for all of this. I want the motor done right this time, lol. I want to drive my car!
        Last edited by 2_Liter_Turbo; 01-20-2011, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I'll try to keep this thread updated as I go along.

Here are a few shots of my pulling the motor out to take apart. It is currently on the stand waiting for me to finish cleaning up the garage so I can tackle the project.

Comment

Could you please, please, weigh that whole thing while it's out? With the intercooler and piping.

I'm extremely curious to see how much it all weighs.

Ridiculously clean btw.
            Support innovation, buy from companies that design their own parts!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Suspension before power.

Comment

The car or the engine? I hope you don't mean the car is clean, lol. It's a turd! If you're talking about the motor, then thanks ha ha. Too bad it's f'd inside!

Comment

Hahaha, yeah I was talking about the engine in both regards.

Suspension before power.

Comment

Ha ha, yeah That's what I though! I already started taking it apart (before I read your request), so I'll try to remember when I have it all back together. I'd have to find a scale that would go to 400 lbs anyways. I think SRs are about 340 aren't they? I honestly don't remember, lol. I can use my bathroom scale to do the tranny if you want though.

Comment

Around there, but I've been hearing a lot about how tubular top mount manifolds, big turbos, and front mount intercoolers add a lot of weight, so I'm extremely curious to see what it all weighs together with all accesssories.

Thanks man.

Suspension before power.

Comment

Tranny weight would be cool.

You can do an engine with two bathroom scales (should be below the 250-300 lbs each can go up to).
                      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
                        Around there, but I've been hearing a lot about how tubular top mount manifolds, big turbos, and front mount intercoolers add a lot of weight, so I'm extremely curious to see what it all weighs together with all accesssories.

Thanks man.
                        Ahh totally, I got ya. When I get close to finishing everything (I'll keep this thread updated), just remind me, ha ha.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                          Tranny weight would be cool.

You can do an engine with two bathroom scales (should be below the 250-300 lbs each can go up to).
                          I'll have to grab one more then, lol. My scale goes to 350, but two scales will be easier I think.

Comment

another request for motor's weight

Comment

SR transmission with little to no oil or shifter (mounting plate included), but with throw out bearing and clutch fork; weighs 93.8 lbs consistently. I have a digital scale that calibrates it self every time, and I did it 5 times with the same result every time. The tranny was completely on the scale; it was not touching the ground or myself in any way.

Comment

Working...
                              X