2010 Big Year: Hulk Smash Debut!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Big Year: Hulk Smash Debut!!!!

Hi, everyone. My name is Steve. On most other forums, I go by irritatedmax, so if you recognize anything there you have it. I just thought it would be nice to go by my real name.

As the title indicates, I have big plans for my S14, dubbed Hulk Smash, this year. It has been a constant work in progress over the past three years; spiraling into a full car build before I knew what happened. Anyway, a full write-up of the build-up can be seen on our blog - Brickhouse Products (click for hyperlink). Click on the Hulk Smash category on the right, and it will pull all the posts on the build.

It currently looks like this...kind of...actually, this is the just the last pic I have of the car before storing it away for the winter. Haha.

The engine bay...again, before I tore it apart about a month ago.

And, a quick rundown of the main parts.

Engine:
    Built block - AMS rebuild kit
    Garrett T3/T4 57 trim .63 AR turbine housing
    Brickhouse mid-mount intercooler
    Nistune

Suspension:
    Stance OG Coilovers
    Peak Performance RUCAs
    Peak Performance Tension Rods (need to install)
    Tein Inner/Outer Tie Rods
    NRR DIY Toe/Traction Rods (hopefully can get in on the group buy)

Brakes:
    Z32 26mm Brakes Front
    Stock Rear Calipers
    1" Z32 BMC
    Hawk Pads
    Motul 5.1 Fluid

Drivetrain:
    Competition Clutch Stage 4 Sprung Clutch
    Welded Diff
    Peak Performance Motor/Trans Mounts

There is A LOT more, but that gives you a nice starting point/general idea of the build. I started building it with drifting in mind (some part choices may reflect that); however, I recently realized I need to look into more AutoX and HDPE events to maximize my track time opportunities (drifting is rare in these parts) AND, more importantly, increase my driving abilities.

It was not built for any specific class nor will it be. I will run with whatever I am classed with - not trying to sound like a tough guy. It was built for fun/drifting and is beyond the point of being toned down to "more beginner" class. I am not a pro driver nor do I expect to be. It is just my car, and I want to have some fun and learn with it.

My current (VERY simplified) project/upgrade list goes something like this:
    -Finish oil cooler setup
    -Buy wheels and tires for HDPE/AutoX (RPF1 18x10.5+15 or Work XD9 18x10+18 with ~275/35 NT05 all around)
    -Reinstall/Bleed Brakes
    -Reassemble engine bay
    -Tune/Alignment
    -DRIVE!!!!!!!!

That's about it for now. I'll update this as my "build thread". Thoughts, comments, suggestions, recommendations, and opinions are more than welcome.

Welcome to the site. This place is a wealth of good knowledge and DIY'ers.

Car looks nice, must be fun to drive. You have any dyno sheets/#'s or videos of it??

Comment

Welcome! Moar chassis pix please.

Comment

No, "good" pics of the car. It has been living a sheltered life in the garage where I can't get far enough from it to take a decent pic. It is rolling now and the weather is clearing up. Pics in the future.

So as I hinted at above, I have been working on my engine setup. I finished up the intake manifold. Came out looking brand new and awesome. It is just raw aluminum coated in high gloss clear powder coat.

As you can see, I got really carried away. I ended up re-doing the hardlines and vacuum lines. I stripped some more stuff off there and simplified it. I coated the hard lines in high gloss black. The disassembled the throttle body and made it pretty as well.

In other happenings, I realized that the "26mm" calipers I bought are actually 30mm. Cool, right? No. I already bought 26mm rotors and a replacement 26mm caliper for the one 30mm that was jacked up. Now, I am in search of a driver side 26mm z32 caliper. Hit me up if you have one!

I modified my -10 fittings to fit the Skullworks oil block. Just a bit more mock-up before I can mount my filter relocation bracket and run my lines.

Comment

Had a big weekend and got a lot done. Put together a large update on the site. Want to go to bed so no photobucket.

Check it out!

Hulk Smash: What happened? I blacked out. (<----clicky, clicky hyperlink)

When looking into cage requirements, I looked into SCCA rules and classes today. I am solidly in street modified from the best of my deduction abilities. I have a few questions:

-I want to do a 4-point roll bar/cage. Can I connect the rear strut towers?
          -Can I make a "power brace"? It says you can reinforce but not alter stock suspension locations within reason.
          -What are the maximum wheel/tire sizes? I read anything from Stock, Street Touring, and Street Prepared is allowed.

Obviously, I have some more research to do. I realize I won't be competitive in SM, but I would rather not jump up into some crazy class if I can avoid it.

Thanks for the help!
          Last edited by Steve; 03-09-2010, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Looking at your build it looks beyond SM. SM requires full interior until of in back of the front seats. That includes everything in the dash. You can remove AC and AC related components.

Power Brace doesn't alter the pickup points on the suspension so that is legal. No wheel or tire size limits in SM so the widest rubber you can fit and gearing that makes the most sense.
            Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
            TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

Originally posted by eye-5 View Post
              Looking at your build it looks beyond SM. SM requires full interior until of in back of the front seats. That includes everything in the dash. You can remove AC and AC related components.

Power Brace doesn't alter the pickup points on the suspension so that is legal. No wheel or tire size limits in SM so the widest rubber you can fit and gearing that makes the most sense.
              The dash is 100% there (just not installed at the moment). I have complete interior from the back seats forward. I removed the airbag which it says I can do. Is there something else I am missing?

Can I ditch the sound deadening?

Thanks for you input!

Comment

Then you are probably good. It looked a little intense from the pics.

I totally shredded my wiring with the big R Comps on the drivers side front. Found bare copper when I was doing my 5 lug conversion. Maybe thats why the battery only lasted a week without driving it. I'll be replacing a bunch of wires and moving them up and out of the way of the expensive hoosier wire shredders.
                Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
                TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

Working...
                X