No announcement yet.

SitRep: Too many cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think engagement is perfect, exactly what I want in a performance clutch. I have an ACT Prolite flywheel -- it's 9? lb. Very light.

After 50 miles of driving today the turbo seems pretty unhappy. It didn't sound great pre-rebuild but the play wasn't too bad. Now it's louder and the shaft play has increased and the wheel has to be close to hitting the housings. I'm going to see what I can scrounge this week, might just buy another Precision since they're cheap (and I'm being cheap on this car) and it will just bolt on. Sighhhhhh.

Comment

Ugh - Precision turbos...

You could always EFR it

https://www.mr2oc.com/6-mkii-90-99-n...omeness-3.html

Sounds good on the clutch - I was debating the Stage 2 Daily vs. Stage 2 Endurance, but if the Endurance drives great, I'll go with that.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Ended up buying a new dinosaur turbo in the form of a 46 trim t3/t4. Went with .48 housing just for maximum spool. Prob knocked 75-100whp off peak power but I'm ok with that.

As a result of sitting forever one of the caliper seized up so had to replace that. 91-92 turbo reman calipers are nearly impossible to find any more, but ebay came though. Also ended up getting a NOS toyota caliper rebuild kit just to shelve, and you can still buy new pistons from Toyota at least.

Also the spal intercooler fan totally seized up, too, so had to replace that.

I did get my works bell hub, QR, and momo wheel in, at least, which I like very much.

Last weekend did a 300-mile engine break-in drive of backroads and I'm irritated by how much I like the car. The steering is probably the only downside as it's manual and bus-like ratio, but otherwise it's a reasonable little car that feels solid and fun to drive.

Amazing road that's about an hour from my house:

My friend built me a boost gauge that goes where the clock goes, too, and it's super cheesy and my favorite thing:

Currently having Mark Panic of Panicwire build me a couple harnesses for those gaugeart CAN gauges (one for the 240, one for the mr2) so hopefully Links will go in sometime in the next few weeks.

Comment

They're pretty fun aren't they? I'm not a huge fan of the stock seats, so I picked up some S2000 seats to put in.

I can only imagine how slow the manual steering is. The PS rack on my '93 is pretty slow. I'm going to go to an MR2 Spyder pinion at some point to speed it up. Future project there...

The PS pump doesn't give much if any assistance above ~30-35 mph, so there's a lot of effort with ~7 deg of caster up front. It's not horrible tho'. Just gotta get used to it.

Comment

Yeah it's great I have Jdm seats in mine that arent too bad. I have a spare pair of frs seats that I saw someone mod and install in an fb post yesterday but I suspect they will sit too high.

​​​​​​The steering is what it is. It'd probably be fine on track and terrible at autox, but this car isn't destined for anything but street driving.

Comment

Same seats - although yours are likely cloth. I have leather, and they just sit too high, and are a bit too... barcalounger like. I've felt worse seats (like C5 and C6 'Vette seats), but these aren't much better. I like the adjustable headrest, but not much else about them.

Comment

Oh, yeah, the cool 90s blue/grey cloth print.

I can fit with a helmet, though I can't in my buddy's leather seats + t-tops.

edit: like this

Comment

Yep, mine at tan leather. Do you have adjustable headrests on yours? Mine kinda click forward in 3 increments than back all the way on the next click. Probably a crazy complicated little adjuster thing to do that motion - one of the things I like about 90's Japanese cars... hah

Comment

Oh wow! I never would have noticed that on my own haha. Yeah my headrests do the click thing.

Comment

Some buffing later and this car doesn't look half bad.

A few spots are damaged well beyond buff-repair, but I think I found a bumper locally so that will take care of the most glaring cosmetic issue.

The Link subharness for the 240 is done and waiting on the Mr2 one so I can get ecu installed and get it tuned.

Probably try to at least get the new wideband installed in the 240 this weekend and get it all ready for startup on the new ecu.

Comment

After two rounds of powdercoat that both looked terrible, I gave these wheels to my buddy to paint and they came out perfect.

Picking up the Link expansion harnesses tonight so hopefully get at least the mr2 going on Link in the next couple of weeks.

Also threw in rollbar into the miata -- hoping to sign up for the last Miatas @ Laguna event in October. This is definitely a "passes tech" bar rather than a "save your life" bar, but it's far enough back that my head isn't close to it while street driving.

And a couple of us went out to the SCCA Time Trials event this last sunday -- dusted off the ol' 240 and had a good time. TT is just HPDE baked into a club racing weekend, but it was only $150 for three 20 minute sessions. ~15 cars in the group, everyone was pretty heads up and no real issue with traffic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjCmL1jUv_4

It was definitely the dream of the 90s -- two s13s and an sw20 playing around on track. Of course the mr2 blew a head gasket in this^ session haha. Apparently 2GR swap in the works now.

Comment

Working...
                        X