Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I keep A/C?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should I keep A/C?

    So my S14 is currently being transformed into my new "race car". It's going to a whole new level for me, even getting caged, gutted, etc etc. Now the thing is, is that I live in the Sonora Desert (aka Phoenix AZ area), and we race a lot in pretty hot days here, so I've been contemplating keeping my A/C. So should I do my best to keep the factory system (which blows super cold), or should I look into investing in an aftermarket system that is more suited for a race car? I know the downside of OE, is that condenser sits right in front of the radiator, so it effects the cooling of the engine, lol. Just wanted to get some insight.

    www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
    96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

  • #2
    I'd vote keep it, AC work is basically the worst thing ever - no way I'd remove a working system to replace with a retrofit

    Comment


    • #3
      I second keeping it.

      When I did one in the middle of summer, 100+ ambient from 7 AM all the way until I left with 105-110 cockpit temps! Lost 4-6 lbs in just sweat alone, luckily we had not heat related incidents on track, but a majority of people left shortly after lunch so that helped mititgate the problem

      Doing that consistently without AC would be terrible if I had the option to keep it.

      Comment


      • #4
        What is your plan with the car?
        Core4 Motorsports
        CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
        S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by gills View Post
          What is your plan with the car?
          I'll be starting NASA TT1 soon and I want to work towards limited RWD with global time attack.

          www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
          96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 2_Liter_Turbo View Post
            I'll be starting NASA TT1 soon and I want to work towards limited RWD with global time attack.
            OK, so aren't you only out on track for like 20-25 minute sessions? Do you plan on running the AC while out on track or just switching it on in the pit and on out and cool down laps? AC systems are fairly parasitic and heavy all out on the front of the car so I'm not sure how competitive you want to be.

            Otherwise, budget Coolshirt style systems work wonders when wearing full gear (note: expensive race suits also are massively lighter and cooler than cheap ass suits). You can treat the cooler tank as ballast weight, but you would only need the smallest system they make since the sessions are short.

            I have no experience with vented helmet systems that plumb cool, clean air inside the helmet, but I've heard other racers say that if they had to choose between a coolshirt vs a vented helmet system, they'd choose the vented helmet, FWIW.

            Regardless, the feeling of cool that your torso feels when the coolshirt system is activated is magnificent. These are basically a necessity in the endurance events I do in the summer.
            Core4 Motorsports
            CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
            S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gills View Post
              OK, so aren't you only out on track for like 20-25 minute sessions? Do you plan on running the AC while out on track or just switching it on in the pit and on out and cool down laps? AC systems are fairly parasitic and heavy all out on the front of the car so I'm not sure how competitive you want to be.

              Otherwise, budget Coolshirt style systems work wonders when wearing full gear (note: expensive race suits also are massively lighter and cooler than cheap ass suits). You can treat the cooler tank as ballast weight, but you would only need the smallest system they make since the sessions are short.

              I have no experience with vented helmet systems that plumb cool, clean air inside the helmet, but I've heard other racers say that if they had to choose between a coolshirt vs a vented helmet system, they'd choose the vented helmet, FWIW.

              Regardless, the feeling of cool that your torso feels when the coolshirt system is activated is magnificent. These are basically a necessity in the endurance events I do in the summer.
              Thanks for solid input. Yes, sessions are only 20 minutes or so at a time. I would have it shut off during hard laps, just like what you said, keeping it cooler on cool down laps and in the pits. The coolshirt and vented helmets sound intriguing though. I'll have to check into them.

              www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
              96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 2_Liter_Turbo View Post
                Thanks for solid input. Yes, sessions are only 20 minutes or so at a time. I would have it shut off during hard laps, just like what you said, keeping it cooler on cool down laps and in the pits. The coolshirt and vented helmets sound intriguing though. I'll have to check into them.
                No problem!

                You can also DIY your own coolshirt system if you have the time to futz around with DIY stuff like that. It's pretty basic. You'll see once you start researching it.

                Just to add to this even though it doesn't apply to short stint type stuff, you can also get helmets now that have integrated cool systems that have plugs to interface with the coolshirt systems. They also have integrated communications and a drink tube (http://www.rouxhelmets.com/r-1fk-composite), stuff that's critical for enduros.

                For me, I'm starting to become more drawn to the vented helmet setups because the fumes coming in from other cars during endurance racing is basically like a long, slow 2+ hour huff of poison.
                Core4 Motorsports
                CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
                S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

                Comment


                • #9
                  Get a cool shirt setup and trailer to track. A full AC system is arpund 35-40 lbs up front.
                  '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!


                  DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                  http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I second Def on this one.

                    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X