No announcement yet.

Time Attack/Track build advise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know the OP. And he just wants someone to agree with him so he feels better to pick up a Z. What he left out is that he already has a S14, a sr20det swap that bolts in and complete sr20ve head.

Comment

C5 z06.
      And hasnít the drift tax migrated to the 350z???

Comment

Not yet, but with youtube drifters posting about them it'll happen soon enough. I started tracking my Z last year and a local shop campaigns one in AER. Just a few notes: the ABS is a bit wonky and intrusive. If you run a true square setup it will occasionally freak out under heavy braking, it's programmed around the staggered height. I've decided that at one point I want to eliminate the ABS altogether. And the ABS pump apparently likes to fail and will put the car in lock up, you can find videos on Youtube showing it happening. The VQ likes to cook its oil, so an oil cooler would be wise. Same for the differential. The local AER car runs a cooler with a reservoir and pump, and they tell me heat is still an issue. One last tidbit, the clutch master is known to fail. Mine failed within a month after buying the car, (I bought it used). I replaced it with a Wilwood kit from Zspeed Performance here in Ohio, no issues since. I've been perusing the rules for NASA Spec Z lately, that could be something else to look into if you're interested.
        '79 Datsun 280ZX-Awaiting the day I decide to actually work on it.
        '05 Nissan 350Z Track-Weekend/track duties. Gets some of the the attention the 280ZX doesn't.
        '08 Toyota Tundra-Daily/tow rig.

Comment

Originally posted by S130 View Post
          Not yet, but with youtube drifters posting about them it'll happen soon enough. I started tracking my Z last year and a local shop campaigns one in AER. Just a few notes: the ABS is a bit wonky and intrusive. If you run a true square setup it will occasionally freak out under heavy braking, it's programmed around the staggered height. I've decided that at one point I want to eliminate the ABS altogether. And the ABS pump apparently likes to fail and will put the car in lock up, you can find videos on Youtube showing it happening. The VQ likes to cook its oil, so an oil cooler would be wise. Same for the differential. The local AER car runs a cooler with a reservoir and pump, and they tell me heat is still an issue. One last tidbit, the clutch master is known to fail. Mine failed within a month after buying the car, (I bought it used). I replaced it with a Wilwood kit from Zspeed Performance here in Ohio, no issues since. I've been perusing the rules for NASA Spec Z lately, that could be something else to look into if you're interested.

What is the team name that runs the AER car? They are usually in the same class as my car (except the TurnIn Concepts LS swapped 350Z).

Just for data points, I'll confirm the VQ absolutely requires an oil cooler. I see temps anywhere from 230-270F with 30WT redline and ~80psi at temp with a revup oil pump and a fairly large heat exchanger. I run a Cosworth oil pan baffle and AAM oil pan spacer kit (capacity at ~6qts) and my oil pressure is rock solid through all turns I've encountered (10Hz resolution). Currently have about ~48 hours of racing on current batch of oil.

I don't have diff (S14 R200) or transmission cooling though. Currently at about 70 hours on diff fluid (Redline 75-140). Transmission is brand new with MT-90. I put temp sensitive paint on the transmission case and diff case before the last race that I still need to check actually.
          Core4 Motorsports
          CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
          S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

It is Turn In Concpets, I randomly pop in to get stuff and they were showing me stuff on the car.
            '79 Datsun 280ZX-Awaiting the day I decide to actually work on it.
            '05 Nissan 350Z Track-Weekend/track duties. Gets some of the the attention the 280ZX doesn't.
            '08 Toyota Tundra-Daily/tow rig.

Comment

It is Turn In Concpets, I randomly pop in to get stuff and they were showing me stuff on the car.
              Yea, that thing seems like it is a handful to get to last two 9 hour days. They've had some bad luck.
              Core4 Motorsports
              CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
              S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

One last tidbit, the clutch master is known to fail. Mine failed within a month after buying the car, (I bought it used). I replaced it with a Wilwood kit from Zspeed Performance here in Ohio, no issues since.
                I recall talking to Clark at JWT years ago about their solution for the clutch slave cylinder (not the master) that was having problems. IIRC how the slave was setup it created a vacuum & pulled the particulate debris from the clutch wearing & ruined the bearings. I don't think this has any correlation to the master, but something to look out for too.

First 300ZX to break 500whp on the Stock Turbo/Stock Long Block, boost only, no meth.
                Currently building sub-2800# 300zx Twin BW 6258 EFR, AMB Aero, TA-U & Road Race Car.

Comment

Working...
                X