Dilema; 6 speed or not to 6 speed (new issue). Need opinions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilema; 6 speed or not to 6 speed (new issue). Need opinions

So I went to test fit the new twin plate clutch, with the Mazworx SR-VQ bell housing. Well, it doesn't fit. The snout extension (or whatever they call it), which the input shaft slides into is too long and interferes with the clutch disk prior to the bell housing completely seating. So I have a few options, let me know what you think

1) Sell the Gmax twin plate, buy a suitable single plate which can support 400 wheel torque and not require Heeeee-Maaaannn type leg muscle. This would be the easy button. To finish then it would be driveshaft (140), new rear diff FD (having a tough time finding the 3.69; cost about 250) and speed sensor figured out (use the SGi8 (a few hundred) or LOJ (300)

2) Mil down the snout about 1/4" (about 100 in machine work) and run the twin plate. Still would need driveshaft cut down (140), lower FD (250) and Speed sensor solution (2-300). However, this kills resale of the bell housing

3) Shelf the 6 speed, revert back to the Z32 5 speed. This would require adapter plate (2-300), machine work (another 100-150) and driveshaft (single piece around 200-250). No new FD or speed sensor as it all bolts up>

Caveat. the 6 speed I have may need new synchros for 5th

Two words: budget baller

You know what to do.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Budget Baller is run the Red Bunny clutch I have and see if it will crack 400-420 Wheel torque and unload the twin plate. Doing a little more leg work, I think the Red Bunny I have is a 250MM clutch. If that's the case, I think it will support my needs. I need to get home and check first

However, what else would you recommend Def?? Clutch needs to do 500 WHP and 400+ Wheel torque (I am trying to find examples of a 500WHP VET and what torque they are making. I know Skullworks on here made close to 500WHP and was up or over 400 Wheel torque)

Comment

Cutting down the snout on the input shaft isn't hard at all. Take 17 measurements and make sure it's right, and cut the thing off with a dremel.. Doesnt the snout unbolt from the front of the trans? So you just mark it, pull it off, cut, clean, reinstall. voila.
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Well, I meant to say the TOB sleeve holder from the bellhousing. If you look at the Mazworx bellhousing, it is machined and is separate from the actual input shaft on the gearbox. Input shaft is already cut btw.

Comment

Well, there is a good chance I may have purchased a S15 twin disk. When I bought, he said both 5 and 6 speed. I didn't even realize at the time (the two are not interchangeable. The S15 bell housing is physical deeper to accommodate the dual mass.......)

I sent the seller an email. So we will see, but since no refunds option was checked via Ebay, I may be SOL......

Comment

Originally posted by RalliartRsX View Post
              Well, I meant to say the TOB sleeve holder from the bellhousing. If you look at the Mazworx bellhousing, it is machined and is separate from the actual input shaft on the gearbox. Input shaft is already cut btw.
              Gotcha. yes, I knew what you meant, just didn't quite say the right thing in my previous post. My RX7 trans had the same problem when I made the new 5lb flywheel to accept the Tilton 5.5" that I'm running. I measured from back of the block to the clutch fingers, then from bellhousing flange to end of snout. had to trim about 1/4" off of mine.

Googled photo of S14 trans: you can see that the snout thingy can be removed from the front of the case. This is same with RX7/ Miata trans.

Pro tip: if the gasket is stuck, be VERY careful not to just whack the end of the snout with a rubber mallet trying to pop the cover loose. they're cast aluminiumimumum and break easily. :\
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Well, confirmed: It is indeed a S15 twin disk not a S13/S14.........He advertised as both being brand new and being compatible across the board (both of which are false).

I sent an email. Opening a claim in a few hours if no response is garnered. I didn't realize at the time but the flywheel has the pilot bushing already installed, which is a dead giveaway it is indeed for a S15......

P.S Glad I didn't whip out the angle grinder..........

Comment

Yep, S15 twin disk is definitely not the same as S13/S14. It's like ~1" further out from the crank (pilot bushing), in the flywheel as you found out.

Comment

Also found out the Comp Clutch I have is a stage 4. I guess I'm about to send it! Looking forward to the 300lb left leg press lol

Comment

That's why I like my Tilton.. it's good for a ton of torques and the pedal really isn't that stiff. I can still easily modulate enough to pull the car into the trailer without spinning tires on the wood floor..

I certainly wouldn't daily it, but have no problem in the pits at the track.
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Well, JWT makes a 250mm/350Z/1200kgs upgrade that has almost stock pedal feel (although yes, that is relative) and will hold 600 ft lbs at the crank. They also have a 900kgs which will hold 500 ft lbs at the crank

Relatively cheap as they cost slightly more than a harsh 6 puck single and less than a sweet twin disk. That may be where I lean all said and done.

Also, Red Bunny kit uses a 250mm clutch disk and should hold all the twist. Those can be had for as cheap as $350.

Comment

Way cheaper than the $1000 option I mentioned..
                          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

250 mm clutches put a lot of load on synchros. Nissan went away from it to a 240 mm disk in the CD009 changeover to help the synchros.

Comment

I thought all 350Z/CD0 series clutches were 250mm from the factory?

Comment

Working...
                              X