Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to tap S14 transmission for cooler lines?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to tap S14 transmission for cooler lines?

Considering I'm planning to do more endurance racing with this car and the issues I've heard with trans temps, I think it's a good idea to add a cooler.

So I recently picked up a Tilton gear oil pump for cheap and have an 8x8" oil cooler laying around in my pile of crap. seems like an easy button.. I can stuff that little cooler behind one of the stock bumper openings (stock SR intercooler kinda thing) or in the radiator hole (plan B)..

Now, I'm wondering where's a good spot on the trans to connect this stuff that's reasonably accessible for service?

Given the SCCA classing of the car in STU is relatively open, (they allow up to 6spd sequential in the class, and necessary chassis mods to make it fit), so I'm pretty sure it would be OK with cutting a small access hole in the trans tunnel so I could reach a fitting on the top/side of the trans. I'd just make a small cover to fit over the hole and fix it in place with some riv-nuts or something..

So my thought would be to drill/tap the case where cool oil would drip in from the top and splash-lube the gears.. maybe just pull the fluid from the drain hole in the bottom of the trans, and then stick a magnet somewhere along the line to collect shrapnel?
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Could you go back in through the fill hole? I haven't looked into it too much, but that's what I was thinking I would do if I needed it. It would just be kind of a pain to check level.
    98 240SX SCCA STUish

Comment

It's a possible solution, but not the bestest one IMO. It would still get fluid temps down, but I was hoping to also be able to gain some useful extra splash lube in the process..
      Originally posted by SoSideways
      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I'm not sure you gain much if anything from extra splash. The countershaft is always spinning in an oil bath carrying a lot of oil up to the main shaft. Especially if you use good oil.
        98 240SX SCCA STUish

Comment

I would definitely not pull off the drain plug. That's just asking for that ~1-1.5" of fittings sticking down, now being the lowest point of the car, to just get clean ripped off over curbing, during an off etc.

I'd put it at about a 15-20 degree angle up the case, probably with a NPT to 45 deg AN fitting to get as low a profile as possible. As long as you get it to where you've got ~1" of clearance up from the bottom of the case, you'd be fine in an off IMO. I'd probably just dump it in fill hole to make things easier. You're not going to get much of a stream out of a big -8 or so sized fitting unless it's at crazy pressure. So you'd have to create a spray tube that was held in the trans with a bunch of squirter holes etc. A lot of effort for probably not much benefit vs. just dumping it in the fill hole.

BTW, unless everything is below the fill level of the trans (doubtful), you'll have to overfill the trans to account for the cooler loop filling up. Which maybe that does make it tough to use the filler hole.
          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
          X