Tpms systems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tpms systems

Anybody have one? They have many fairly cheap on Amazon for less than $100.

Curious if anybody knows of one that uses canbus communications.

Also trying to find one that monitors at like a rate of 1hz or better. I'm assuming some of those low end ones are probably monitoring pressure once per minute.

This was just shared by Autosport Labs creator on the Autosport Labs Community Facebook group with a bunch of discussion:

http://tyretpms.com/product/html/?91.html

Has CANbus communication, bluetooth, 1Hz frequency. Seems like there still needs to be some trailblazing with it, but it's promising.
    Core4 Motorsports
    CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
    S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

Funny how those with things like this spend a lot of time and money to disable while those without spend both trying to gain it.

Comment

Why would you want 1 hz tire pressure data?
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
          Why would you want 1 hz tire pressure data?
          My thoughts exactly. Everyone in the Autosport Labs group seems to think it's important too at the detriment of battery life of the sensor. I don't think you would need anything quicker than every 10 or 20 seconds.
          98 240SX SCCA STUish

Comment

I actually made the thread to help find something for the racecapture fb group. I'm way to new to understand the importance of tire pressures (except making sure they're all equal) but one guy wrote:

I was hoping to utilize TPMS for analysing the contact patch load distribution (between 4 wheels) in a corner. Even once every few seoncds would be useful enough if I'm testing the car on a skidpad but not once a minute...
            so i figured by helping them find something i could learn something new when they post their data

Comment

I don't see 1Hz being necessary because tire pressures have multiple variables with static (cold) pressures and dynamic (load, temp) based changes...
              You *might* be able to see some nifty loading effects during a hard corner or even a straight in a high downforce car with 1hz resolution, but for most people I think it's overkill.

then again, you never know what you're going to find with information like this if you've never tried it before.. nerds love crunching data, so give 'em more to look at!

I don't think you'd necessarily need the 1hz resolution for long.. a few laps, test session or two, etc.. learn what you need to learn from it, then go back to 0.1hz or whatever for simple diagnostic monitoring. even with 1hz data, you likely won't *see* a tire problem until it's too late to do anything about it.. sometimes if a belt breaks or the tire starts delaminating you'll see a slow rise in temp over a few laps, but usually the failure is more instantaneous and you will notice the handling effects well before you remember to check a pressure gauge. the gauge would likely only serve to confirm a problem before you pull off the track.
              Last edited by Matt93SE; 03-13-2018, 06:16 AM.
              Originally posted by SoSideways
              I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
              '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I agree for the most part, but it'd be interesting nonetheless.

The idea is to combine this with the nifty multi-zone infrared tire temp sensor that can be run on RaceCapture. Running a test day at a particular track on a particular tire with consistent driving you'd be able to get some interesting tire data for sure. After that, 0.1Hz is probably more than enough.

I personally experienced a very slow leak out of a tire that was lacerated by exhaust shrapnel that could've been detected before it completely let go on me in a race. 0.1Hz would've been sufficient for someone in the pit to realize there was a problem before I was able to tell.
                Core4 Motorsports
                CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
                S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

Working...
                X