Default Pinion vs output shaft angle. How much is too much

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default Pinion vs output shaft angle. How much is too much

So in my project, after finally getting VET, turbo, CAS, etc etc to fit, its now off to the gearbox. On initial measurements, the difference between the pinion and outshaft angle is about 1.2 -
    1.5 degrees. Its independent suspension in the rear, so the diff is isolated from up/down side/side movement. A 1 piece driveshaft ill be used.

The issue is I cannot physically get the gearbox any higher without some cutting/welding and I am trying to keep the chassis all in one piece.

Is there a rule of thumb in regards to difference in angle between the pinion and output shaft?? I have read anywhere up to 5 degrees is acceptable, but would like to hear some other opinions or "facts".

Note: I have seen the below pop up in regards to proper angles

Why not space your diff down in front slightly instead of raising the trans up?
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

That was one option. I am going to get under there and see just how much it can be shimmed

Will any old thick washer work?? They are fairly large washers last I checked (and not sure if home depot carries any this size)

Comment

Any large washer that contacts all the area on the subframe will work just fine.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Did you try calling a professional driveshaft and/or U-joint manufacturer? You might be surprised how much information they'll provide. Worth a shot.
          Core4 Motorsports
          CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
          S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

Working...
          X