Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for NIStune shop near Tulsa- Maybe OKC or Dallas??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for NIStune shop near Tulsa- Maybe OKC or Dallas??

Dad has been using a "Honda shop" in Tulsa, OK to tune his NIStune equipped NA-KA and has blowed up several engines at the track now, all which appear to be from detonation.. He's done through several now-- spun bearings, blown HG, broken ring lands, but the latest one grenaded piston #1 and trashed the block and head. At this point, he no longer trusts the shop in Tulsa, for obvious reasons.

He's currently building yet another engine and plans to drop the engine in, get it started to prove it runs, then trailer it to a competent shop for a tune.

Current plan is to bring it to Houston Z Auto as they're well experienced with both NIStune and road racing engine setups, but that's a 10hr tow. Can someone point me to a competent shop somewhere near NE Oklahoma? Dallas is probably the closest major town.

Application is NA KA24DE, road racing. moderate build w/ approx 11.5:1 compression, Crower 272 cams, etc..
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Jon David (314) 620-8658 owner of ZhookUP
    1261 E Saint Louis St
    Springfield, Missouri

Dane Miller (936) 463-8966 owner of Houston ZAuto
    10541 Cypress Creek Pkwy, Ste 702
    Houston, Texas

Both are great guys that know NIStune very well.

What fuel are you running with that compression? Do you have adjustable cam gears? It's worth looking at a proper stand alone that has better knock detection & will do better at preventing knock.
    First 300ZX to break 500whp on the Stock Turbo/Stock Long Block, boost only, no meth.
    Currently building sub-2800# 300zx Twin BW 6258 EFR, AMB Aero, TA-U & Road Race Car.

Comment

Post up the timing map. It's not rocket surgery. Total timing at wot should be about 22-23 deg or so.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

It's Dad's car - I don't have access to it. Dad isn't computer savvy enough to do anything with it, so he never bought the software and always let the shop in Tulsa do the tuning.

The current plan is to take it to Dane here in Houston, but we were trying to find somebody closer to Tulsa so dad didn't have to tow the car 10 hours for a tune.
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Does it need anything special beyond a USB cable and a software download?

Honestly, it takes a really specia dumbarse to blow up an NA KA with bad tuning. Hard to believe a shop could suck that badly, but Ive seen worse sadly.

Comment

It needs a 70yr old man to learn how to use new software. USB? Ha! The man keeps a slide rule in the garage!
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

You can just do a remote session and get him to plug in a USB cable. It's not any harder than plugging in a lamp...

Comment

Update 8 months later..
                Dad brought the car down to Houston Z Auto and let their guys work on it.

I'm SOOO glad he did. Wasn't cheap, but skilled people who can actually fix your ish never are.

Dad bought and installed a Chase Bays wiring harness in his S13. I recall many problems when he was putting the thing together like incorrect connectors, a few polarity problems, etc. turns out the S13 KA harness he bought came as a 'universal SR/KA' harness with all kinds of useless **** attached. you'd think after 6+ months of wait time that he would get what he ordered, and that it would be CORRECTLY ASSEMBLED. nope.

long sordid story short, the guys at Houston Z discovered that several sensors were wired incorrectly, most importantly, MAFS, TPS, and knock sensors. Dad found and fixed the MAFS problem when he first put the harness in the car because he couldn't get the damn thing to start.
                when dad got it to Houston Z and they did a thorough checkout of everything connected to proper CONSULT equipment, the knock sensor and TPS were each wired backwards.. so at any partial throttle, it was counting backwards.. that'll make anything other than WOT work absolutely beautiful..

The knock sensor inputs were also backwards, so any signal created by knock sensor were going straight to ground, and the shield (which I believe is also tied to ground somewhere else in the engine harness) was tied to the actual ECU input for the knock sensor. that means ZERO knock sensor input to the ECU.

When Dane plugged into the ECU, he couldn't even get NISTUNE to talk to it. turns out there was something fried on the ECU, but the car was still running and the shop never told Dad. We were able to source a spare ECU here in town and someone nearby the shop soldered in the NISTUNE board and Dane went back to work on the car..
                He finally downloaded the ECU program done by the previous shop, looked at the maps in the ECU, stuff was farking backwards.. likely a remnant from the TPS signal being upside down, but as load increased, the ECU was adding timing (remember no working knock signal) and decreasing fuel. AND YOU WONDER WHY ENGINES WERE BLOWING UP?!?!

Dane and his boys got the whole thing sorted out and tuned.. engine doesn't make any more peak power than it did before, but torque curve is fatter and smoother, and the driveability problems dad was having previously are gone. And more importantly, THE ENGINE DIDNT BLOW UP AT THE NEXT RACE!!

I feel bad for Dad and admit it's partially his fault for not catching some of the wiring problems before, but these were all problems caused by crap parts and crap "tuners" that put up a sign on their door who don't actually know how to tune a car, and are too egotistical to admit when they don't have the ability to do something right. It cost him probably $10k in engines, other parts, and labor for a GOOD shop to fix everything that other people screwed up.

Kudos to Houston Z Auto for taking the time to make everything right and get this car reliably on track.
                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Glad he got it worked out.

Important lessons:
                  1. Chase Bays sucks - period.

2. Sometimes it's better to suck it up and do stuff yourself and know it's done right. It always served me well when really modding a car. Need a new engine wiring harness? Order a bunch of wire and supplies and make it from scratch and KNOW everything is wired properly.

3. Standalones make things easier to diagnose. ROM tune stuff works well when you really know what you're doing and have a fairly stock setup, beyond that - the standalone data makes things easier to troubleshoot in general.

4. 99% of "tuners" can't tune a weedwhacker, let alone an EFI engine.

Comment

Dane Miller is good peeps! I really wanted his slicktop Z shell

Comment

Originally posted by RalliartRsX View Post
                      Dane Miller is good peeps! I really wanted his slicktop Z shell
                      It was still for sale on FB a couple days ago... go get it!
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

The shell is much too far dismantled. This would put me way behind in having a chance at making any event before 2020 lol

Comment

He tried to sell it complete for a while, nobody showed up with money. so he robbed the parts he wanted for the next build and parted out the rest.
                          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Working...
                          X