Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

use calipers w/ scarred brake line seats?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• use calipers w/ scarred brake line seats?!

The brakes I was planning on using appear to have some scarring (some more serious than others) on the brass press in fitting at the bottom of the hole where the brake line installs. The scarring appears to be serious enough that it will most likely not seat the inverted flare fitting it needs to (almost appears as if the wrong fitting had been installed on these at one time).

I went to a hydraulic specialty ship today (they also do custom brake lines) to ask their opinion and see if they had anything to correct this. If I am not mistaken, the flare nuts for the 240sx are M10x1.0mm. I was told that I could try to seat these in the scarred seats; however, it is not likely to seal properly if at all.

Instead, it was suggested that this M10x1.0mm threaded hole in the back of the calipers be rethreaded to a slightly larger 1/8"NPT thread (w/ tape over the fluid passageway at the bottom of the hole and tapped w/ grease to limit mess. Then use an adapter fitting, such as a 1/8" NPT (male) with red loctite to -3AN (or other size) then a different brake line.

They said the NPT would hold way more pressure than the brakes would produce. Would this be okay to do?! I'm having trouble visualizing that this NPT adapter would fit properly with that scarred fitting at the bottom of the caliper hole and imagining that the brakes would function normally if that NPT fitting is not against the bottom of the caliper hole and against that scarred seat.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated

pic of the type of fitting that is damaged in caliper:

Pic of adapter fitting:

"A pessimist thinks the glass is half-empty, an optimist thinks the glass is half-full, an engineer says that glass is twice as big as it needs to be"
    instagram:@cleantune ; Twitter: Cleantune@Cleantune2

just read that "Cone_Killer" from a LegacyGt Forum was able to remove the "brass inserts" using a drill bit (towards middle/end of first page):

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...on-214393.html

If this is true, does anyone know where to find these small brass fittings for inverted flares to seat against?

"A pessimist thinks the glass is half-empty, an optimist thinks the glass is half-full, an engineer says that glass is twice as big as it needs to be"

Comment

The NPT thread will be just fine. NPT seals on the THREADS. The M10x1 inverted flare seals on the flared seat. All Wilwood calipers for instance use 1/8" NPT threads on the body.

That said, if you cut out a disc of copper with a hole in the center, it will serve as a gasket and seal things up most likely. It's used on AN flares that are a little boogered up, and I've been surprised at the stuff it'll repair, all the way up to beyond the pressure rating.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Thanks so much for clarifying this. That makes me feel better knowing that this is a valid option that is used in other applications for brakes and not just a "shot-in-the-dark" improvised solution.

Okay so as of right now, I guess there are few options:

1. Snug the lines down the way they are and pray they don't leak (worst option, prob
        WILL leak)

2. retap the line threads to 1/8 NPT and install an adapter (1/8"NPT to -3AN) and order custom lines (-3AN male to female bubble flare M10x1.0mm)

3. retap to 1/8" NPT and try this adapter I stumbled upon the other day, which is 1/8"NPT to female bubble flare M10x1.0mm and would allow for use of readily available lines for a 240 with z32 brakes

Link:
        http://www.pacificcustoms.com/cnc896.html

When I had read your response the first time I got to thinking about the custom-made copper washer idea. Copper is really great at sealing up tiny imperfections and I beleive copper is softer than the brass inserts. What if I made copper washers and used these between the scarred brass bubble flare in the caliper and the inverted flare of the brake line?

I'll post pics of the severity of the scarring asap for a better assessment of the damage from the euro lines.

Last edited by cleantune; 07-03-2016, 10:14 PM.

Comment

After removing the "euro" lines from the front and rear and comparing them with the "240 to z32 conversion lines", the "euro" thread length appears to be shorter than the conversion lines (for both F+R); which my have saved the front fittings- scary though because these were thought to be fully seated after tightening to manufacturer's recommended value and noting an obvious stop in the ease of rotation.

Fronts:

Rears:

Comment

Just wanted to share what I found out:

Picked up two 1/4" double female brass flare connectors used in refrigerant lines. These each came with two conical copper washers that were just the right size for the damaged brake line fittings. The idea was to put these in, on top of the scarred fittings in the caliper and then use the correct brake lines on top. The soft copper would help seal the two surfaces and any imperfections that could cause a potential leak (please see my instagram page for more pics @cleantune).

So far, *knock on wood; this seems to have worked!

Comment

This is a common field repair for flared connections. If it holds pressure, should be fine.
              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
              X