Head and neck restraints

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head and neck restraints

What head and neck restraint do you all have? Any regrets? Would have bought a different one?

I have the Simpson Hybrid Sport and love it. Disappears nicely once strapped in unlike HANS devices based on my experience. Uses regular D-ring clips to attach to my helmet so nothing fancy there. The Simpson's have some side restraint in conjunction with the normal frontal restraint. HANS devices don't have any side restraint. Not the end of the world since most racing seats now have head halos for side impacts. But, every little bit helps.

There are quite a few brands out there now. SCROTH just released one not long ago, then there's also Necksgen and a couple others.
    Core4 Motorsports
    CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
    S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

I'm not in the market for one, but the guys on another forum that club race have been buying them from England with FIA certification for less that what they get them in the US. The consensus among the club racers is F**k SFI and get anything you can with FIA certifications, as theirs last much longer. SCCA recognizes both and I'm pretty sure all the other major series do as well.
      Don Johnson (really!)
      Just so you know.

Comment

I have a Leatt and it's ok. It bothers my collar bone sometimes though. If I buy another one I'd probably buy a NecksGen. The rest of my team uses them and seem to be happy with them, plus their support is really good. The owner was at a race with us and my teammate was complaining about not being able to turn his head and he just gave him a longer tether for free. I've heard other similar stories like that.
        98 240SX SCCA STUish

Comment

Ah yes the fia vs Sfi thing. Very good pointer! Definitely avoid sfi stuff and get fia only.

With this said, I will never go in a race car without an HNR again. Once you get used to them you feel vulnerable without one.
          Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Video is worth a billion words....

https://youtu.be/g40YatgE_CE
            Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Murray Motorsports and McGill Motorsports are two GB sellers I'm familiar with.
              Don Johnson (really!)
              Just so you know.

Comment

I never realized how important they really are with a harness. I'm surprised theyre not mandatory with a 5+ point harness

Comment

Have any of u had issues during egress with a specific one?

Comment

Originally posted by clotuning View Post
                    Have any of u had issues during egress with a specific one?
                    HANS devices are higher up behind your helmet so they can have a tendency to get caught when you're trying to bend your neck to clear the cage. It forces you to contort just a bit more. The Simpson HNR is lower profile and better in this case.

HANS:
                    Helmet-2w.jpg

Simpson Hybrid:

Simpson-Hybrid-System-Sport-Head-Neck-Restraint-D61-SIMP-4990XS-2.jpg
                    Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Working...
                    X