Cusco RS help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cusco RS help.

So I had a bittersweet surprise today. Long story short I just bought a brand new cusco rs to swap out with my cusco type MZ that I bought second hand already in a pumpkin a couple years back. It turns out the diff I was told was an MZ sure seems like an RS after taking it out. The only difference seems to be the casing colors. If the diff has springs it's an RS right? Also, am I wrong in thinking that this diff is currently set up as a 1 way? I was told it was set up as a 1.5way but it looks like it's set up as a one way to me? Please weigh in.

- '93 S13 (the long awaited fun machine)
    - '05 E46 (the S13 fund evaporator)

Your pic is pretty small but I think that's 1.5/2 way variant though a bigger picture would help. And yes the RS has springs, or at least the one that I had.

Comment

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vZJnA3gTh9bVyigGA

Comment

I cant figure out this photo stuff.....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/k6hm2G4C4qLMPLsY6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ry13rMY3XeUyQLHy7

Comment

Yeah that looks like 1.5 to me. 1way looks like this:

Comment

The way the cam faces is what makes the difference right? Because if so the cam is facing the same direction as the one way where as the 1.5way would flipped 180 degrees no?

Comment

No, it's the cutout where the cam sits. Diamond shape is 2way, triangle is 1way, and 1.5 is in between.

Comment

Cool. Thank you for the help. I cant believe I bought a brand new diff. And i cant believe the guy who sold me this thought he had the MZ....

Comment

So I figured out what happened. The gears in the diff had been flipped which is what was causing the cams to sit backwards compared to the new one.

Comment

wow, that must've been.....interesting. Aggressive cam ramp on decel and not so much on accel? Did you it actually get to drive it like that?
                    Core4 Motorsports
                    CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
                    S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

Yah. I did, it was just a few hill climbs and the diff was stupid loud, especially when backing up with the wheel turned. Ive heard clutch types before, but id never heard anything like this before.....all the clutch plates seemed in good shape though. So i just flipped it and well see how it goes.

Comment

OK, did you mess with the clutch disc arrangement and preload springs at all? Because all these diffs (at least Cusco and MFactory, which is exactly the same as the Cusco RS) come with the discs arranged in a maximum locking configuration, which makes moving the car around, and tight quarter maneuvering maddening. It also makes the car very tight in corner entry and loose in corner exit coming back on throttle.. Also, it's completely unnecessary for grip/track driving and racing. They come out of the box to appease drifters.

I just lowered mine to "60%" and the diff feels better everywhere and still puts the power down and has the "pulling" effect exiting turns.

Read this Cusco document if you haven't yet: https://www.cusco.co.jp/en/pdf/LSD%20Guide%20Final.pdf

edit: You can also read my post where I go into some detail with my own diff in my build thread: http://nissanroadracing.com/forum/un...498#post172498
                        Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Yes, I rearranged the clutch plates to 80 percent lock to see how that goes. On my next oil change i may adjust it to 60 percent and see what i like more. Have you tried both 60 and 80? If so what did like/not like about both set ups?

Comment

Originally posted by mischief View Post
                            Yes, I rearranged the clutch plates to 80 percent lock to see how that goes. On my next oil change i may adjust it to 60 percent and see what i like more. Have you tried both 60 and 80? If so what did like/not like about both set ups?
                            Funny, because I just tested the 60% setting on Monday. It's definitely freer during turn-in and really not that much different when back on the throttle during corner exit. It can still yaw the car easily with the gas. I was actually expecting it to be lesser so.

It's not as apparent as it was when threshold braking and trail braking, which I like very much. The 100% setting would always make noise and fight the car during those events. So in a nutshell, It is less aggressive than before, but more noticeable on the deceleration side than acceleration. I may actually pull the diff out to try 40% because acceleration lock really didn't feel "40%" lower than before.

Oh, it's a bit less clunky/noisy during tight maneuvers, but there is still some there.

edit: just for reference, my car is ~2600lbs and makes in the 300/300 bhp/tq range.
                            Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Working...
                            X