No announcement yet.

Surprised How Dead NRR Is!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I say join in as many discussions as you can. I think when there's more activity, people tend to jump in more often and it builds back up rather quickly.

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
    96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

I havenít posted on here in a while. I blame not working on cars since 2015, which is when I closed my rented shop and moved to another state. The one exception was borrowing the use of a friendís workshop to build some Bilstein struts for another friend back in 2017.

However, Iím currently having a shop built on my new property, so hopefully by the end of this year Iím back at it building cars again. Guess weíll see.

I check in to this site a least a few days per week. Iíve noticed it has slowed appreciably, but then again almost all forums that previously had high traffic have seen a huge drop thanks to social media.

Comment

I think the ramping of SM and people going after views/likes over what it would take to build something similar. Kids/Life I think plays a larger impact, of whether members remain hobbyists or a chapter in life that is phased out.

I for one have a P11 now and trying to prep it and meet others who want to actually do lapping days. Rather than sentra guys and street only-minded people. I really just want to see the site continue who I can bounce ideas off and fab up some of the ideas rolling around in my head. (like a K-swapped p11 that I can track)

I'm in the same mindset of looking for another S-chassis or 2 (hatch with sunroof and coupe). Just to keep like the hotrod guys do.

Comment

I know I had issues with 3 engine failures in a row starting in 2016, then I got married / bought a house. Lately I've been working on turning the 36x41' garage from ****ty apartment back into a garage.

I decided to look into a simpler / cheaper to run build on my 240. ChampCar I think...
          '95 240sx

Comment

I hate social media for car stuff. Great for likes on sweet polished CF bits, terrible for sharing builds and technical info. The dwindling of forums is a real loss to the hobby IMO. Unless you're in a huge city there's not likely to be many people who are into the same cars and usage as you. I don't know anyone in Milwaukee who's into these cars to any real extent. Met a young guy at a track day once with a lightly modded s13, gave him info about NRR and encouraged his interest, but never saw him again.

I've been bad about posting mostly due to having a kid. Tricky to get garage time and I'm usually scrambling to finish things or dropping it where it sits, rather than coming inside and hammering out forum posts. I should probably chat with Def less and post more, heh. My daily driver is an F80 M3 and I just track that when the S13 isn't ready. Its a really different experience but obviously a capable and fast car. It's great to have something else to get on track but also a bit of a crutch as I know I can always just take the M3 if the S13 isn't quite ready...and its so comfortable for the drive to and from the track.

As an aside, I still have Def's S13 with minimal changes (heavier flywheel, Z33 CD009 gearbox). I'm trying to build some headlights with lexan covers and a bi-LED projector to keep the front light but modernize the lighting. This has taken a ****load of time and yielded mediocre results. I think I just need to consider these a prototype and start over. Heat forming Lexan is a PITA, needs a long period at relatively low temps to dry out the absorbed water and then you increase the temp to get it more malleable. If you go too fast the water all bubbles up and hazes the piece permanently. Gah!
            ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
            ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Eh, donít let ChampCar fool you into thinking things are done on the cheap. You will be in for proper money all said and done if you want to win. To even be competitive youíll need to do an engine swap. VQ30 is the sweet spot for the 240 in that series, which requires more customization to drop in than a vq35.

The fastest non-EC car lap of the weekend at the Road Atlanta champ car race last month was a 1:37. A week later AER ran there and the fastest class 4 car (the class I run my car in against E36ís with ďdetunedĒ S54ís and is the 2nd fastest class) was a 1:37. The difference here is that no one has to make pretend to hide anything in AER. If that isnít telling, Iím not sure what is.

Core4 Motorsports
              CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
              S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

Originally posted by RallyBob View Post
                I check in to this site a least a few days per week. Iíve noticed it has slowed appreciably, but then again almost all forums that previously had high traffic have seen a huge drop thanks to social media.
                Originally posted by Invisible_Saddle View Post
                I think the ramping of SM and people going after views/likes over what it would take to build something similar. Kids/Life I think plays a larger impact, of whether members remain hobbyists or a chapter in life that is phased out.
                Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
                I hate social media for car stuff. Great for likes on sweet polished CF bits, terrible for sharing builds and technical info. The dwindling of forums is a real loss to the hobby IMO.
                We can all definitely agree that social media (modern iterations of it, because technically forums are social media as well) are killing off individual car forums. The instant gratification generation is definitely the driving force behind it though IMO. No one ever wants to spend the time looking for information or learning how to do figure things out for themselves, they just want the answer now without much effort on their part, and will move on without so much as a thank you. I agree that it's a shame, the automotive hobby benefits greatly from forums over FB, IG, etc. And as the majority of the older generation moves on with life from the car scene, the void of forum users grows. Because young "enthusiasts" (I use that term loosely) just won't join forums. I've tried over and over to get people on here and other forums, and have been quite unsuccessful.

96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

I think they feel like most can google and get most the info they'd need on forums for older platforms, which is true to an extent. It feeds into the "I don't want to put forth much effort," but it ends up creating this gap of knowledge/experiences being retained. Time marches on, technology improves, and there's definitely a lack of info in the last few years on most older platforms because forums have largely died off.

I'd say newer platforms have a more active forum following for that very reason - there's little to no repository of knowledge to fall back on so more people come out of the woodwork and participate in the forums in the early days.
                  '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                  http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Very true. I'm on a 10th gen civic forum, and it is quite active. But what happens when the lights go out on Zilvia/Nico/NRR/etc? All of that old information is gone and then old platform support is completely wiped out. That's why it's important to keep them going.

Comment

Working...
                    X