New Garage - Need ideas to maximize working space, storage, etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Garage - Need ideas to maximize working space, storage, etc

So my new house is about a month out from being complete. Getting a new "over-sized" garage to play with, but I can't make up my mind on how I want to approach making it the most awesome garage I've ever had. So if you have cool aspects of your garage/shop or just some good ideas you've come up with or seen, please share (with photos if possible)!

I'll have to update the thread tonight with some pictures (at work atm), but the new garage has 10.5" ceilings, and is billed as a 5 car tandem garage. It's 1,041 sq ft with a two car garage door and a single car garage door up front. The two bay door has a floor depth of 37ft. The single bay is high 20s I think (I honestly forgot off the top of my head, but can update tonight).

Some points of the garage that is already done or already planning on doing:
    * I have 3x 220/30amp dedicated outlets.
    * Because it's a post tension slab, I am going with a 4 post lift
    * Lots of 110 outlets (a few are 20amp dedicated)
    * Already paid for epoxy on the floor - textured for non-slip
    * Painting the wall in a similar scheme as Nismo stuff, but with blue instead of red.
    * Jackshaft garage door on single door, standard garage door on dual bay door.
    * Has a garage service door off to the side of the single width bay (And window).
    * Fully insulated with dedicated A/C unit (I live in the desert... LOL)

Cars that will live in the garage at all times are just the R32 and S14. One spot will be an open spot for oil changes, etc. The wife will most likely park there in the summers. I have a lot of the large steel storage racks you can pick up at costco (not the giant orange ones they use, smaller than those). Planning on adding a welder, blast cabinet, large compressor (have a small one currently), and a few other larger toys, I mean tools...

I'd like to optimize wheel/tire storage, hardware, parts storage, raw material, and work areas. That's about it, lol.

Oh, and I drew a simple replica in solidworks so I could move stuff around, ha!

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
    96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Forgot to upload pics last night, but here's the floorplan, lol.

96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

sub'd for responses. Sounds like you've got a pretty awesome space there.

You ever shoot over to garagejournal.com forum? I haven't been there in awhile, but I remember there being some really useful advice and resources.
      Core4 Motorsports
      CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
      S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

Thanks! I actually never heard about it until someone today replied to this thread on another forum, ha ha. Going to check it out for sure. Someone sent me the link for the "12 gauge garage" on there.

Comment

Here are some pics of the "blank canvas" as of right now. A/C unit, water heater, and garage doors aren't installed yet.

Comment

Check out garagejournal for sure. Good lighting is huge. I set mine up so all the fab stuff was by the big door to keep the dust and debris as close to the exit as possible. I have lots of cabinet space so everything has a home. Putting bigger tools on wheels can help too. Keep as much as possible mobile and off the ground. Use that height!

For wheel/tire storage I made a big rack out of angle iron that I bolted to the wall. It holds about 10.

What are you planning to do realistically? I was going to get a big compressor but cordless tools got so good I just got a small one for airing up tires and blowing things off. I don't need to be able to blast things or paint at home, and I don't really need a plasma cutter either.
            ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
            ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

The main reason why I want a nice larger compressor is a blast cabinet and some of my air tools. I have a mix of electric and pneumatic, so I like having the option. I've been considering a plasma cutter table from langmuir. Some other considerations are a nice tig welder, sheet metal brake, tube bender, and a few other fab-shop tools. I won't be doing any painting. Just making parts and building cars really.

I'm also going to build a storage shed in the side yard and put down concrete to park extra vehicles (and the trailer) behind the 12ft RV gate. I can have up to a 120sqft shed without a permit in this town.

Comment

So I modeled my new garage. I'd say it's accurate to +/- an inch at worst, lol. I also cut away the large blank wall (minus a few outlets) so it's easier to see detail.

So the first image below is my empty garage with what I'm thinking of cosmetics. I know it's not a slick rendering or anything, but you can get the idea. Still up in the air for epoxy coloring, but I'm thinking gray for the lower part of the wall, followed by 2 12 inch stripes in black and blue accordingly. Then, the upper part of the wall is left white.

Here is the garage with what I currently own in terms of major "furniture". Only thing in this image that I don't have but was planning on getting was the 4 post lift under the red "car" and an extra large shelf (shown in black in the middle - I own three currently). I have an extra engine stand and a couple other smaller things not shown. And of course, all the stuff that goes on the shelves, LOL.

Any ideas for changes or where good places to put the cabinets would be (if I do built in)?

Comment

I'd put some high up cabinets as well.

I want to do a fold down welding station like the dude did in his 12 Gauge Garage, I think that'll keep some of the mess and welding tools in one spot. Didn't seem too difficult to fab it up - big piano hinge, some hooks to hold it up, and maybe a small spring or two to make it not slam open.

My garage is a freaking mess though, and I don't see when I'll ever get a ton of time to really go through it. Need to just take a couple days off from work when the kids are in daycare and wife is at work and just plow through it.
                  '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                  http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Yeah, I've been looking that thread over. Some sweet ideas I'd like to use in my own way. And a definite yes on high up cabinets. Just trying to figure out the best way to implement those.

Comment

Working...
                    X