No announcement yet.

EFR boost control with Turbosmart IWG?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The twin port IWG75 EFR internal gate is setup EXACTLY the way you would setup an EWG, so that setup diagram directly applies to this very topic.

Also, you echoed my statements from above in regards to a 4 port allowing the flexibility to run a softer spring and holding the pressure up top.

All I am saying is, if you have a 3 port it works just fine when properly setup. That and a MAC 3 port valve is like $35 lol.

Comment

Yes you are correct that the diagram would apply on the same way, however with a 3 port the pressures you put on the upper and lower part of the diaphragm are the same. With the 4 port you are able to put different amounts of pressure on WG ports making a more capable boost control.

So you spend 2000$ on a turbo and cant spend an extra 65$ on a solenoid, doesn't make much sense to me.

Comment

If I had a twin port IWG, I would probably see how it performed on the 3 port boost solenoid, but be fully prepared to go with a 4 port if it didn't do exactly what I wanted.

And I'll just say that a B1 frame EFR isn't anywhere near $2k... at least if you get the DefSport hookup. The twin port WG is like $180 + a $60-70 4 port solenoid. It's a decent chunk of change for just boost control. But I could see doing it if other options weren't getting me what I wanted.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Keep us posted.

I am 50/50 on ditching the EWG and sticking with my IWG75. The coming weeks we will see and hopefully I can add another data point.

Comment

I personally wouldn't run an EWG without water cooling and recircing it back into the downpipe. That adds a huge layer of complexity and expense, so the IWG's downsides seem very minor, and relatively easily overcome in comparison.

Comment

Meh. Worked just fine on my prior SR for several thousand track miles. Easy boost (10psi) on a big honking T3/T04E and a Garret GT28R. No failure......yet. 340WHP and 300 WHP. Simple setups.

I also do not have to deal with Texas heat so no need to water cooling (which my prior TiAL EWG did not have ports for anywho). As far as complexity?? Manifold and wastegate were built together, so fitment is fine. Routed to dump underneath front subframe, so smell is next to nil.

But all that could go up in smoke if I simply want my AC back hahahah!

For some bizarre reason, I LOVE the sound of a proper EWG on a VET, so looking forward to seeing how it sounds on my setup. Sounded absolutely mental at the back straight of my home track from the outside. Cannot explain why I like it so much however lol
              Last edited by RalliartRsX; 09-24-2018, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Meh, Iím not a fan of a dumped EWG. Makes it obnoxious to get into boost on the street. maybe that means Iím getting old, but I donít like it on my MR2 one bit.

Comment

Working...
                X