No announcement yet.

EFR boost control with Turbosmart IWG?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFR boost control with Turbosmart IWG?

I know I've sold at least a few Turbosmart IWG75 dual port's for guys using EFRs. How is the boost control across the whole rev range? The BW canisters leave a little bit to be desired with holding boost up high - canister diameter is on the smallish side for packaging, and the WG flapper is large, so any exhaust back pressure tends to cause a lot of boost drop at higher RPM.

I currently have an old school GReddy EWG on my MR2, and while I'm not a big EWG fan, the super flat boost response across the whole rev range is pretty nice compared to the usual IWG boost drop at higher RPM.

Does the IWG75 dual port tend to solve this boost drop? How much above the spring pressure can you go and still get good control?
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Has everybody left NRR???

Comment

Seems like it unfortunately. I'm curious about this too, running efr actuator.
      ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
      ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

I'm still here!

Don't have any experience with what you're asking as I'm currently using a tial ewg without any problems.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

The Facebook is a forum killer. I feel there are still a lot of lurkers, just not much participation.

And sorry, wish I could add to the convo.
          Core4 Motorsports
          CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
          S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

It seems the Miata guys are using it with some level of success. However, they have also "upgraded" to a 4 port MAC valve. I have seen a twin port IWG75 setup both ways. However, the Miata boys swear up and down you need a 4 port.

With that said, it seems you can run a very soft spring and still have +150-200% (or more) of spring rate range available to you (again, only seen the results on a 4port).

From the looks of it, the twin port IWG75 works well.

I may end up going with a IWG75 if I end up not liking the EWG on the EFR (that and I have to figure out a way to block off the IWG without breaking out the welder)

Comment

What is the issue with the EWG? Are you dumping it to atm and have that sh!t sound? Packaging issues?

When I first put the Tial 44mm EWG on my STi it was comical and then got old real quick. I was also an a$$hole and used to scare unsuspecting people on the street. Luckily that was more than 12 years ago
              Core4 Motorsports
              CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
              S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

I don't have an EFR now but I will soon, so I'll keep tabs on this thread for future reference.
                Don Johnson (really!)
                Just so you know.

Comment

Eh... 4 port. I'll probably just wait and see how the medium canister works with 5-6 turns of preload then. I know it'll be a tad lazy on boost build, but maybe it'll work ok for what I'm looking for. Don't want to make a bajillion changes to the car at once and then chase my tail trying to dial it all in. The WG actuator is easy enough to get to once the turbo is installed... I hope. It's between the engine and turbo, with the firewall right in front of it... soooo.... won't have a ton of access!

I'd really like a low boost setting of ~10-12 psi, and then be able to run probably 18-20 psi on full tilt. Not sure the ~540cc injectors in there can support that much pressure on a 6758, even at the ~50 psi base pressure I'm currently running.

Comment

Yeah. I am not sold on the whole 4 port deal so yeah..........3 port on the twin port IWG75 works fine for what I have seen

I think you would be fine with the twin port IWG75 on a EFR (or 3 port MAC) solenoid for your intended range.

Not sure how well the GTE head flows so not sure how much air 20psi truly is in terms of how much fuel you need. Your 540s may be fine.

Just send it and report back with broken pistons and sheering timing belts

Comment

I'm not sure how a twin port IWG with a 3 port solenoid would work though. You'd be effectively putting full pressure on the "resist" or "close" side, and then every PWM cycle of the solenoid would then variably fill both the resist AND the open side at the same time. At least that's my understanding. You wouldn't have a "bleed" port on the 3 port solenoid, it would just shuttle the solenoid valve from one side of the WG to the other, exposing it to the boost source. Not sure how that'd work in theory.

I think the 4 port is a more controllable system in this respect, by venting the unused port (which increases the control authority range).

That said, it does seem lots of people plumb up a 3 port solenoid to the top and bottom ports of an EWG, so I suppose the system can work. It seems like it'd be a bit touchy to small changes in duty cycle in my engineering brain tho'...

As for the 3S-GTE head flow, I've got mild gen 3 OEM cams and a bigger intake manifold plenum, so it's probably roughly equal to a stock SR20DET for flow. I think the reason some 3S owners report needing crazy boost to put up mid 300's or something like that is they tend to use OLD ass turbo technology, and really suspect rebuilds of really old turbo tech as well. They commonly site a GT3071R as an "unbeatable" turbo, which is a bit funny given it was surpassed by Garrett over 10 years ago, nevermind the EFR lineup.

I've been mulling this over in my head, and I was leaning towards going with an IWG75 from the getgo and tuning it in. But maybe I'll just run the medium BW canister and see what it gets me with like 6-7 turns of preload. If I can remember right from my SR install, that'd probably do about 10-12 psi base boost with some drop off up high. I need to search some of my posts from my first EFR install with the medium canister and see if that jives with what I actually saw.

Comment

A 3 port solenoid has only one output, so you can only control the lower port of the IWG. You NEED a 4 port solenoid to control a 2 port IWG correctly.
                        Also, a 4port is also super reactive to changes, so start with very low % DC, like 1-2% and start going up real slowly.

Comment

Lots of people hook up a 3 port solenoid to a WG with two ports.

Like this:

Also seen this, where you always put full pressure to the "close" side of the actuator. Not sure how well this works with a decently stiff spring tho???

Comment

Originally posted by candamo View Post
                            A 3 port solenoid has only one output, so you can only control the lower port of the IWG. You NEED a 4 port solenoid to control a 2 port IWG correctly.
                            Also, a 4port is also super reactive to changes, so start with very low % DC, like 1-2% and start going up real slowly.
                            See above.

A 3 port can be used to control a twin gate no problem. Don't forget, a 3 port is simply switch between COM, always open and always closed ports. All you are doing on a 2 port gate is switch from pressure keeping the gate close, to immediately switching to pressure to open the gate.

Does a 4 port work?? Sure. I am just not spending 100+ on one until I work through a 3 port myself however. I have seen 3 port MAC valve on 2 port gates (tiAL).

Comment

Yeah you definately can run a 3 port like that. However thats an external wastegate and sometimes you dont even need both ports in order to have rock solid boost line.
                              First the 4 port can help with boost taper up top since it has some extra oomph . And second, it can give you a lot of flexibility regarding the boost target you can achieve with a soft spring. Like a 0.5bar and running more than 2 bar without much taper up top.

Comment

Working...
                              X