Mixed Emotions On Parting w/ S-Chassis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed Emotions On Parting w/ S-Chassis

I guess I'm writing this as a sanity check for myself.

Found on Ebay 8 years ago, with low mileage and all the options I would have ordered from the factory (minus the automatic,) it was the only car I wanted from the first time I saw it.

It's been ridiculously fun to drive at Chin and other HPDE events. There's nothing like confused Porsche owners coming over after a session asking, "What ya got under the hood?" and "Is that a stock 240?"

One thing led to another and the car is in storage. As I've aged, my willingness to work on it has waned. I took pride in doing most of the work myself. The Florida heat and humidity combined with changing priorities didn't help.

I'll take it out for a drive every few months, but I hate having it sit. My wife hates the car because I was always replacing something and not driving it. Yes, it's 21 years old, but I'm sure you've all had this conversation with a spouse or significant other.

When asked what it would take to get me to sell it, I said a new FK8 CTR, thinking that would never happen.

Well, it happened. The family is moving to Mississippi soon and the car isn't.

Now it's time to hold up my end of the deal and sell the S14 with all the parts I've accumulated, which is a lot. After detailing the paint, changing fluids, and getting it ready, I'm having second thoughts. Good S14 examples are almost impossible to find. The environment seems positive for selling and bad if I decide to go back.

There are a couple of things left to be sorted: Troubleshooting the AC, detailing the interior, possibly reinstalling the stereo, and reprogramming the security system

AC is the biggest, which should make it easier to sell. My only regret was going to SS lines on the stock turbo, which always get in the way when doing things around that part of the motor.

It's late, so I'll pick this up later. Here's how it looks after buffing out the paint.
    '97 240SX - S13 SR20DET
    '17 Civic Type R
    '12 MDX - Tow Vehicle
    '04 TSX 6MT - DD

It's tough to move in from something you've got that much history with, but it's just a car. Lots of cool different stuff out there. Sounds like you're not really enjoying it now. Get the car you really want and move yours on to someone who really wants IT. It's not a bad time to sell either. Interest in modern Japanese cars is up, and the economy is still humming along.

I had a white s14 project for a long time, then ended up selling it and buying Def's S13. He had an S2000 and now moving in to something different. I may sell the s13 in a few years and get something else. FD? R33 GT-R? Some flavor of Boxster, Cayman, or a GT3? A nicely set up light rear wheel drive car is awesome on track, but for daily driving I think you can really enjoy a lot of different setups equally.

Do you have the CTR already? Do you plan to track any more?
    ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
    ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Agreed. No reason to have an emotional connection with a car when there is a fair amount which will fill the gabs and be all round much more capable.

IF someone wants to drop the cash, unload, don't look back and move on. Thats just me however as I look at cars as appliances to which I enjoy tinkering and driving, not something which fills emotional gabs. They are too much of money holes for that to happen.

Comment

It's ok to be nostalgic about the car, but at some point in a project car's lifespan, you look back and realize, "hey, maybe my journey with this one is over, I'll pass it onto the next guy."

turtl631 picked mine up, and there are times when I miss it, because it really did have the capability to be mildly scary with speed/capability when turned up. But at the same time, I felt like I was done with the 90% track/10% street build. I learned a ton from building it though, and I'm sure turtl is picking up some knowledge whether he wants to or not.

I do get slightly emotional with my project cars, and that's good in my book. You do have to be objective enough to realize that if you're ready to move on, it's time to move on.

The S chassis market looks pretty strong too. I see some mildly modded cars with swaps going for >$10k now, which I haven't seen in a long time. Not a bad time to bail.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I've had my S13 for 12 years now and have been through so many phases with it. I've gotten sick of it at times and let it sit for 6 months and have had periods of lots of wrenching and buying parts. You guys make me feel like the only one to say that I'd never get rid of it, unless I totaled it.

Comment

If it makes you feel any better, you won't have a problem selling your car for a great [seller's] price in today's market. But, to give you both sides of the story, I do regret selling my 04 STi 3 or 4 years ago, which I was the original owner of. That could be the difference, though, to being emotionally attached and not.
            Core4 Motorsports
            CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
            S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

I have been toying with the idea of parting mine out but I can't bring myself to do. I rarely drive it but I still enjoy it, and I don't need the space (yet). Consumable costs are pretty low for the 2-3 track days I do per year. I just keep acquiring additional cars to keep it interesting.

Comment

I'm in almost the same exact boat right now, except my wife DOESN'T want me to sell it, lol. She's into racing too and has a Miata. I've owned mine for about 14 years now and slowly modded it over time, for HPDE enjoyment more than any kind of classed/spec'd out car. The car is from FL and doesn't have any rust, but I live in new England so it stays in the garage and I don't do anything over the winters.

I just bought a new daily commuter, but between the wife and I we have 5 vehicles plus an open trailer. I'm not in any rush to sell and don't need the money, but if the right buyer comes along I guess...I just don't know what the hell I'd do to keep busy haha.

The struggle is real.

(p.s. Is the website staying like this, with the giant picture ads up top?)
                Last edited by 0wn3r; 06-19-2018, 12:27 PM.
                97 Kouki SR 240

Comment

Originally posted by Scores240 View Post
                  I've had my S13 for 12 years now and have been through so many phases with it. I've gotten sick of it at times and let it sit for 6 months and have had periods of lots of wrenching and buying parts. You guys make me feel like the only one to say that I'd never get rid of it, unless I totaled it.
                  Aye, if it wasn't for NRR, I probably would have sold mine when it dumped all its oil out during a track day then caught on fire in the grass in 2011.

Comment

Ha! I can imagine. Glad it lived on.

As a fun car, its hard to want to get rid of one that's working well. As a daily an schassis would get tiresome fast, but they're easy to build and fun to drive. For me, it's a toy, and anything else I would get instead would be a much bigger time and $$ investment. FD or GT-R track car... Probably better in my head than reality.

However, I could see grabbing a Miata or Boxster to have an enjoyable fair weather car if kids mean less time for tracking. The 2019 ND is 181 hp and 2400 lbs... The automatic rental I had in Hawaii was a lot of fun. At any rate, sticking with the track car life for the foreseeable future...
                    ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                    ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

I'd say autocross and NRR were big factors in me keeping the car this long, along with it not being my daily. I've also held onto the goal of turbocharging the KA which has finally happened and is working great.

Always enjoy reading everyone's crazy builds.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
                        Ha! I can imagine. Glad it lived on.

As a fun car, its hard to want to get rid of one that's working well. As a daily an schassis would get tiresome fast, but they're easy to build and fun to drive. For me, it's a toy, and anything else I would get instead would be a much bigger time and $$ investment. FD or GT-R track car... Probably better in my head than reality.

However, I could see grabbing a Miata or Boxster to have an enjoyable fair weather car if kids mean less time for tracking. The 2019 ND is 181 hp and 2400 lbs... The automatic rental I had in Hawaii was a lot of fun. At any rate, sticking with the track car life for the foreseeable future...
                        I felt like even the 240 HP S2000 with some light mods on it was a tad on the low side for power on track. A 181 HP ND is a setup in the right direction, but I still get the feeling it'd be a little hohum on track. I know Miata guys talk about how awesome they are to go fast in one, but they can't even make enough power to do anything but keep the throttle matted 99% of the lap. It takes out an element of driving a car with a reasonable amount of power to where it really feels like you're blending all controls on the limit.

I drove the S13 around a bit after it siezed up the GT2871R on track. It would pull about 88-90 kPa at WOT (atmospheric is 101 kPa), and it was breathing through a siezed turbine. So it was making maybe 80 rwhp - 1.6 L Miatas were slowly walking me on the straights. It was really fun because it was so different... for a bit... then it's like... oh, the car is kinda one dimensional like this. It's just foot the floor everywhere. So you maximize corner entry then just drive it to the next braking zone, and large parts of the track that with more power become more difficult are just "drive through, foot to the floor."

Comment

Thanks for all the responses!

As several mentioned, NRR was definitely a huge factor in keeping the car this long. The support from Def (love the brake kits!) and other members with custom parts, receiving a lot of great advice (troubleshooting, driving approaches, track setup and feedback, etc...) from the community, and reading various build threads were (and still are) inspiring. I continue to learn a lot and appreciate the shared knowledge. Many in the community have a wide range of opinions on just about everything, but cars are the common thread that binds.

The only other car that I've owned this long was my B14 SE-R, which was ugly and slow, but fun to drive and reliable. I sold it to buy an '04 manual TSX from the original owner, which was a much better DD for my situation.

Some past cars were definitely appliances in my mind (Cavalier, Skyhawk, K-Car, and many others) but for some reason, the 240 never fails to put a smile on my face. The Civic Type R elicits similar emotions, but for different reasons. The CTR is fun and looks aggressive while feeling refined and safe. The 240 feels light and raw but I'd never drive it in the rain like the FK8 without a stellar insurance policy. None of this is a surprise due to the age variance and different design approaches. Both have their charms.

Based on BAT auctions, I'd love to see the S14 sell at a decent price to an owner that appreciates what the car represents as a beautiful example of 90's Japanese automotive design and engineering. Stock Integra Type R's are going for ridiculous prices and I'm sure all the modifications to the 240 will keep me out of that league.

Update: The move to MS is done and I'm looking at epoxy coatings and storage solutions for the garages at the new house. The goal is to get everything prepped before I move all my tools and other crap up from Florida. Not sure if I'm going to get a POD or go with U-Haul, but the goal is to finalize plans ASAP.

I'm organizing all the receipts related to the car and hope I can find someone that appreciates the installed and extra parts. It looks like way too much effort to put it anywhere close to stock this time of year.

'97 240SX - S13 SR20DET
                          '17 Civic Type R
                          '12 MDX - Tow Vehicle
                          '04 TSX 6MT - DD

Comment

Update: I did two days at Pitt Race and two days Type R Expo East at Dominion Raceway in the Summer and Fall with the CTR. The car is ridiculously easy to drive at high speed and handled very predictably at the limits with the nanny electronics turned mostly off. As with most FWD cars, it was exceptional in the rain. I kept the active suspension on "Type R" mode and disabled everything else. The wife is happy that I don't need to modify it (for now...) and it easily fits two baby seats, which sealed the deal.

Just arrived back in MS (no good tracks near Jackson) from Sebring for a two day HPDE with Chin Track Days in the S14. I pulled the car out of storage in FL and drove it to the event. Sebring was my home track so it was a nice way to end the Nissan experience. I loaded it up on Penske trailer and it's at my new home in Mississippi. I'm going to clean up the interior, change fluids, compression test, and tweak a few things to make sure everything is 100% for the next owner.

The car should be ready in a month or two at most if I don't loose interest. The AC is working now and I'm still trying to decide if I should put the radio back in and take out the center console gauges or leave it as is. Perhaps I'll take pics of both and let the next owner decide.

I'll start taking inventory of what I have left and post a list in the Classifieds. Are R32 seats and disassembled KA and SR transmissions with bell housings worth anything? lol If there's anyone on the forum in the Tampa/Brandon area that wants a SR20DET short block, let me know before January 1st, 2019 and it's yours.

Last edited by voiddweller; Yesterday, 08:31 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot and just noticed that the thread format is reversed.
                            '97 240SX - S13 SR20DET
                            '17 Civic Type R
                            '12 MDX - Tow Vehicle
                            '04 TSX 6MT - DD

Comment

Working...
                            X