What battery and layout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What battery and layout

Monty and I are discussing swapping my battery for a PC680 and this brought up a few questions.

What is everyone else currently doing for theirs, and where is it located.

I have an Optima currently. It's heavy but gets the job done with 2 10" subs/2 amps that are currently in the B14. Over the next year I'll be stripping out the interior and caging the car. In addition I'm obviously not going to continue use of the overly heavy battery for such an occassion.

My thoughts currently are to place it in low in the chassis behind the passenger seat on it's side since it's a sealed core. There is less cabling, and hassle this way, from what i see.

The other option is to just keep it under the hood because it's considerably smaller and would be easier to get to.

Any other feelings?
    Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

In the sentra, I had mine right behind the drivers seat, I used 4 gauge wiring (not enough, had starting issues at times), 120amp breaker, PC680, and prefabbed tiedown box. For the sentra this was a good setup. For the 240, I prefer the factory location.

-Monty

Comment

Braile auto sells the lightest/smallest batteries with the most cca for the size but its kind of pricey...

About the odyssey its sort of cheap but... not adequate?... I don't have radio/cd/etc... anything in the car except engine and computer requiring it lol... I wonder if it'll be fine.

Did you try with thicker guage cable?

I've thought about placing as much of things including battery in center/rear center on top of where the tires are to make the weight shifted further back/on wheels...

Edit: http://www.brailleauto.com/

The one I was looking at: http://www.brailleauto.com/productca...17&idproduct=2

Last edited by a_ahmed; 01-02-2008, 11:58 AM.
      "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

I'm on my 2nd PC680 battery now, the first one lasted 3 years and only died because I let it sit drained one time to many. I'm currently on my 2nd one (3 years now) and it started my sentra all last winter when it was -17F outside for 2 weeks straight... I think it's more than adaquate.

As for price, I think I paid around $70 shipped off ebay back 3 years ago... the braille is not a cheap battery.
        -Monty

Comment

Nothing wrong with the PC680. It's made my Hawker, and close to being military-grade IIRC.

Here are some pix of where I mounted mine, including the positive wiring:

Comment

Not being able to post >4 pictures FTL.

Comment

I'll get that fixed=) The battery won't fit there after you get some aftermarket seats mounted properly.

Comment

2Fass what tabs did you use to hold the ECU there? Around how much actual wiring do you have running into the engine bay, since I see the ignitier and positive battery lead in your final pic?

Comment

If you want to spend a lot of money and get the lightest battery, take a look at voltphreaks.com.

https://s.p10.hostingprod.com/@www.v...8d96f1f64d7b26

4.5lbs for $500. I think they even have a smaller one but it might not be enough.
                  www.tipengr.com

Comment

Originally posted by veilside180sx View Post
                    My thoughts currently are to place it in low in the chassis behind the passenger seat on it's side since it's a sealed core. There is less cabling, and hassle this way, from what i see.

The other option is to just keep it under the hood because it's considerably smaller and would be easier to get to.
                    I'm nervous about relocating batteries inside the pass compartment.

http://www.sr20forum.com/road-racing...struction.html

Comment

I hear where you are coming from there though. I'm not convinced it was mounted quite right though. I never really like most of those "battery boxes" though.

For mine i will weld large washers underneath the car where the posts go through to reinforce it from pulling through.

Comment

This is a battery mount setup that I threw together for a friend's S14 a while back. With proper hardware the battery would be going nowhere.

Tim
                        www.tipengr.com

Comment

Originally posted by veilside180sx View Post
                          The battery won't fit there after you get some aftermarket seats mounted properly.
                          I figured as much, considering how high the stock seats are. No biggie though...I am keeping the stock seats until the front half of the cage is installed, which probably won't be for another year+.

Originally posted by Invisible_Saddle View Post
                          2Fass what tabs did you use to hold the ECU there?
                          The ECU has tabs on it already, and I just used those and some screws to attach to the A/C core. The ECU is so light that I doubt it'd come loose even in a collision.

Originally posted by Invisible_Saddle View Post
                          Around how much actual wiring do you have running into the engine bay, since I see the ignitier and positive battery lead in your final pic?
                          The only wiring I have in the bay is what's necessary for this engine to run: MAF, CAS, injectors, sensors, coilpacks, alternator, and starter. I'm probably forgetting a couple of things here, but you get the picture.

IMO the best way to secure the battery is either the way Wiisass has shown, or a complete aluminum box made from thicker stock (.25 - .375").

Comment

I installed my small battery under the hood, here is a pic:

Comment

Jeremy, what battery is that... looks like the typical PC680/Hawker battery, but not 100% sure.
                              -Monty

Comment

Working...
                              X