Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's see your road racing car in action (pix/video)!! *NO PICS, NO POST!*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Matt,
    VIR is well worth the travel if you ever decide to venture up this way, technically it is south of the Mason Dixon Line, haha. Never had it on an engine dyno but did take it to a chassis dyno when we put in the new ignition and we were just over 215 at the wheels. We are sticking with the ka24e for the time being. I wish I could be more serious about it because there is still plenty left in the car, it's the whole time and money thing that gets in teh way, haha. Shoot at this point new tires would be nice. Was registered for Summit Point Majors this weekend but not sure it's worth the thrash to get up there this evening. Will probably just wait and save the entry and head up to Watkins Glen later in the year.
    Dan

    Comment


    • Originally posted by drbmw2002 View Post
      Matt,
      VIR is well worth the travel if you ever decide to venture up this way, technically it is south of the Mason Dixon Line, haha. Never had it on an engine dyno but did take it to a chassis dyno when we put in the new ignition and we were just over 215 at the wheels. We are sticking with the ka24e for the time being. I wish I could be more serious about it because there is still plenty left in the car, it's the whole time and money thing that gets in teh way, haha. Shoot at this point new tires would be nice. Was registered for Summit Point Majors this weekend but not sure it's worth the thrash to get up there this evening. Will probably just wait and save the entry and head up to Watkins Glen later in the year.
      Dan
      I was wondering if it was an SOHC. Why is it that the SOHC is more popular to use in SCCA?

      And Watkins Glen is well worth the drive. Fantastic, and intimidating track with all the Armco safety barrier right in your face. You forget about it quickly They don't do hot pulls anymore for a disabled vehicle on track. Anytime an EV is out, it's full course yellow.
      Core4 Motorsports
      CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
      S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

      Comment


      • For me it's the weight. I think we get a 150 to 200lb weight reduction for the ka24e. Plus with the truck motor I don't need to spin it as fast as often and we got the line rule of adding a dry sump. At some point with probably check into the DE.

        Comment


        • Lista de, you have to run lower compression and a little more weight. However, the de spins faster and is more reliable at high RPM.
          Originally posted by SoSideways
          I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
          '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
            Lista de, you have to run lower compression and a little more weight. However, the de spins faster and is more reliable at high RPM.
            Is the 240 competitive in E production or do RX7's dominate?
            Core4 Motorsports
            CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
            S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

            Comment


            • Around here, it's dominated by a single Miata (who is current natl champ), followed by Catherhams, a couple rx7s, bmw, and smattering of other things mid pack.
              (I don't run my 240 in EP. It's an STU car.)

              A well prepped 240 could be competitive, but it's hard for the DE to make enough power. It's choked by the factory intake manifold which can't be changed.
              Originally posted by SoSideways
              I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
              '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                Around here, it's dominated by a single Miata (who is current natl champ), followed by Catherhams, a couple rx7s, bmw, and smattering of other things mid pack.
                (I don't run my 240 in EP. It's an STU car.)

                A well prepped 240 could be competitive, but it's hard for the DE to make enough power. It's choked by the factory intake manifold which can't be changed.
                What about cheatin?? Cheatin is racin, right?!??
                Core4 Motorsports
                CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
                S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

                Comment


                • American Endurance Racing Watkins Glen Saturday race 1st stint. Close call with a Cayman that wrecked seconds after green flag drop. Then some good battles and chasing down an LS swapped 350z. Fast lap came with an E46 M3 pushing behind me.

                  https://youtu.be/si_yyScV4Vk
                  Core4 Motorsports
                  CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
                  S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

                  Comment


                  • Up the Esses at Watkins Glen. Love this pic:

                    Core4 Motorsports
                    CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
                    S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

                    Comment


                    • American Endurance Racing, New Jersey Motorsports Park event, 5/2017. 2nd in class, 3rd overall in Saturday's 9 hour race, 3rd overall in class for the weekend. 4th fastest lap time of the weekend. Was a great weekend in a 57 car field.

                      Starting P2 for Sunday's 9 hour race after Saturday result.








                      Ugly mugs on the podium:


                      Some video of 4th driver on Sunday:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQVwbcpIsik&t=397s
                      Core4 Motorsports
                      CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
                      S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

                      Comment


                      • 1:35.066 @ New Jersey Thunderbolt with Chicane.
                        First time on MCS setup.
                        Falken RT615K+ tires.
                        No Aero.

                        Video compares initial MCS settings with final for the day. I tried to spice up the video so hopefully it's more enjoyable...

                        https://youtu.be/vw3EJLwz_6c
                        Last edited by gills; 08-09-2017, 08:58 PM.
                        Core4 Motorsports
                        CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
                        S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

                        Comment


                        • Video from our last two endurance races. This was our first outing after putting in the VQ30DE into our 240SX, and we managed to get first overall both days.

                          Blue Bayou Portland LDRL Race July 22, 2017


                          Blue Bayou Portland LDRL Race July 23, 2017

                          Comment


                          • Just curious.. do you have an estimate of overall cost of the swap? I'm still trying to sell my S14, but might be able to convince wife to let me keep it for WRL and track days. and I want more power..
                            Originally posted by SoSideways
                            I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                            '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                              Just curious.. do you have an estimate of overall cost of the swap? I'm still trying to sell my S14, but might be able to convince wife to let me keep it for WRL and track days. and I want more power..
                              Cost of the VQ30DE swap? Approximately $3100 total for what we did. We got a little lucky, but here's a breakdown:

                              2001 Maxima (beat up, but running) - $100 (yes, really!)
                              Low mileage VQ30DE from junkyard - $450
                              Low mileage 350Z trans - $675
                              350Z Oil pan - $100
                              350Z starter - $50
                              Aluminum driveshaft - $400
                              1995 G20 radiator - $84
                              Pathfinder rear coolant pipe - $67
                              Poly trans mount - $23
                              Sway bar spacers - $65
                              350Z exhaust flanges - $44
                              350Z exhaust manifolds - $40
                              Maxima clutch - $330
                              350Z Throwout bearing - $48
                              Ebay LS1 motor mount kit (modified of course) - $60
                              Gaskets/fluids/hoses/bolts/odds and ends - $550

                              We were doing the VQ30DE to try fit in ChumpCar's new power to weight engine swap rules, but ChumpCar has basically pulled out of the West Coast now. So if I were to do it all over again, it would be a VQ35DE. Starting with the 350Z engine makes everything a lot simpler, as there would be no messing with starter positioning, throwout bearing spacing, crank sensor mounting, intake manifold modifications, etc.

                              Here's a video overview of the VQ30DE swap:

                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8KuxTykoxI

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by knate View Post
                                Cost of the VQ30DE swap? Approximately $3100 total for what we did. We got a little lucky, but here's a breakdown:

                                2001 Maxima (beat up, but running) - $100 (yes, really!)
                                Low mileage VQ30DE from junkyard - $450
                                Low mileage 350Z trans - $675
                                350Z Oil pan - $100
                                350Z starter - $50
                                Aluminum driveshaft - $400
                                1995 G20 radiator - $84
                                Pathfinder rear coolant pipe - $67
                                Poly trans mount - $23
                                Sway bar spacers - $65
                                350Z exhaust flanges - $44
                                350Z exhaust manifolds - $40
                                Maxima clutch - $330
                                350Z Throwout bearing - $48
                                Ebay LS1 motor mount kit (modified of course) - $60
                                Gaskets/fluids/hoses/bolts/odds and ends - $550

                                We were doing the VQ30DE to try fit in ChumpCar's new power to weight engine swap rules, but ChumpCar has basically pulled out of the West Coast now. So if I were to do it all over again, it would be a VQ35DE. Starting with the 350Z engine makes everything a lot simpler, as there would be no messing with starter positioning, throwout bearing spacing, crank sensor mounting, intake manifold modifications, etc.

                                Here's a video overview of the VQ30DE swap:

                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8KuxTykoxI
                                Cool, Nate. Interesting how Chump isn't as popular on the coasts as it is elsewhere. ***edit*** Northeast and Northwest, more accurately

                                I'd suspect that you wouldn't have much fun if you did put a VQ35DE in as you'd probably not have much competition based on watching that video. It's a bit more thirsty also. You running a fuel cell?

                                We can manage 1.5 hour stints running at full boil with the OEM S14 fuel tank, which is ~17 gallons. Luckily, in AER, there's a mandatory number of pit stops driven by the time length of the race. They are typically almost always 9 hour races so that equates to 5 required stops in a race = 1.5 hour stints. So we're racing at the very limit of time and we can't strategize at all with pit stops.
                                Last edited by gills; 08-15-2017, 01:23 PM.
                                Core4 Motorsports
                                CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
                                S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X