No announcement yet.

DIY wings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would think: pros - cleaner air equals more downforce. Cons - may look like ass and may add drag. AoA and position dependent, should work.

Comment

• thanks for the reply...

Actually finished getting through this thread. Great stuff back on pg 7 & 14!

I think my idea is genuine with what you guys are doing from scratch! I took it to a drift shop here locally the owner new what I was getting at. Showed him some mock ups. Now I gotta go back down there cause I learnt a couple new ways of going about make these mounts from this very thread!

bump
      downloading all your data

Comment

• Don't know exactly where to post this, but I am working on the aerodynamics of my rear wing for my end of bachelor project.
        That includes me trying to salvage a Forza model as a 3D 1:1 scale model.

I am using two books: Designing for speed by Joseph Katz and Competition Car Aerodynamics by Simon McBeath. You can find them on Amazon for around 25 $ each.

Some preview of the work I will be doing.

I would be willing to share my study, but the main problem since I am going to a french university its going to be written in french.

If there is any specific info you guys would like, I would be willing to share. I know most of you don't run a coupe with silvia front but.. for those who are the cd and cl of the car would be some interesting info.

Let me know!(also where to post the info)

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

• I'd like to see the 2D Cp vs Xc plot if you could. What program you using for cfd? how did yoi choose the airfoils?
          Originally posted by Jason M
          I have no chance to win without the Giken...

Comment

• The airfoils are a1:1 scale copy of the ones from the wing I bought of a friend and used all summer. (they are round, solidworks doesn't always generate the points to make it look so:P

The program I will be using is Ansys Workbench with the Fluent fluid analyser.

But preparing the full car is challenging. I am trying to find a way to convert the 3ds mesh without relying on the solidworks converting system which is totally irationnal. Why sacrifice a mesh that is already nice to turn it into something that is horrible and sketchy but a surface! ARGH.
            Last edited by WorkInProgressK; 10-12-2012, 12:21 PM.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

• Originally posted by WorkInProgressK View Post
              I know most of you don't run a coupe with silvia front but..
              Interesting project. I'll look forward to updates. What exactly are you researching? Optimal height or angle?
              '91 Silvia w/ S14 SR20DET - Track Car
              '07 Subaru WRX STi - Daily

Comment

• I've just finished making a new wing for my race s13. I used aluminium tube welded to mounts and plywood to make the profile. Then covered that with 0.6mm aluminium sheet.

I used a profile mixed between the APR gtc-500 and the kognition wing. I've got a race meeting this weekend so will see how much better it is than the cheap carbon fiber wing I was using before.
                Attached Files
                S13 Race car, 310 rwkw, Lakeside 55.5, Queensland Raceway Sprint 56.69, QR National 1:17.1
                Sam Collins Motorsport Facebook
                My youtube channel
                S13 Race car build

Comment

• How did you attach the sheet? Looks like screws into the wood sections?

Comment

• It is just riveted and glued, seems like they hold pretty well.
                    S13 Race car, 310 rwkw, Lakeside 55.5, Queensland Raceway Sprint 56.69, QR National 1:17.1
                    My youtube channel
                    S13 Race car build

Comment

• Had a race meeting this weekend. The wing worked way better than I expected. I started out with it at about 8 degrees AOA, but had massive understeer. Ended up setting the wing on 0-1 degree AOA to balance the car.

Considering I had my old carbon fiber wing running at about 15 degrees and it still needed more downforce this is a massive improvement. I also picked up a couple of Km/hr with reduced drag. Looks like I need to make some more front downforce now so I can use the wing more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyNg-...&feature=g-upl
                      Attached Files
                      My youtube channel
                      S13 Race car build

Comment

• So I'm currently in the middle of making a dual element wing based on this GRM article:
                        http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/pro...-wing-element/

Foam dual element wing from a model airplane shop wrapped in CF...

anyone have any good idea's about how to attach it to the uprights? I'm a bit leery of just putting riv-nuts in the CF... It has a 1" hollow bar going through the main element that I might be able to put a riv-nut in for the forward mounting mounting points...
                        '89 RX-7 TurboII - SSM - Widebody - Ford 8.8 IRS - giant wing - Megasquirt3
                        '89 Corolla SR5 - SMF - 4A-GE 20 Valve 6 speed swap - Megasquirt-2
                        '01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD / Daily
                        '81 BMW R65

Comment

• What airfoils are you using? E423?

Comment

• Originally posted by josh18_2k View Post
                            What airfoils are you using? E423?
                            Yeah, a 65"x10" and a 65"x4", both E423
                            '89 RX-7 TurboII - SSM - Widebody - Ford 8.8 IRS - giant wing - Megasquirt3
                            '89 Corolla SR5 - SMF - 4A-GE 20 Valve 6 speed swap - Megasquirt-2
                            '01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD / Daily
                            '81 BMW R65

Comment

Working...
                            X