DIY wings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY wings

So I was not sure where to put this so I guess composites will suffice, even though it could be made out of aluminum or what have you.

Wings... they are expensive... they are ricerish... but they are also purposeful when building a fast car.

Discuss... share all you can about em, what you've done, what you've made, what you're making, what you're about to make. How you've done it, anything to help each other out.
    "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

These guys are ultra mega baller:

http://www.sm-designs.ndo.co.uk/wingshophome.html
    "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

My FSAE team is doing a study right now for our car and a few different profiles and end plate heights. This should be really good info for autoxers since we're not drag limited and we just want as much downforce as possible at 20-60mph. I'll post what we find and hopefully a step by step process for manufacturing the wing out of carbon fiber.
      -Ryan

Comment

I've been wanting to fab an aluminum lip spoiler. I know it will do very very little for downforce, but I cant justify running anything bigger. Seems like it would be a decently easy task, since I have no idea how I'd go about it with fiberglass or other composites.

Comment

SO....UGLY!
          Last edited by McCoy; 02-15-2009, 09:08 AM.

Comment

not really, if it does the job its awesome and you didnt post it right

Comment

The APR GTC-300 isn't that expensive. APR does provide CFD data as well, but I don't know why they didn't simply test each wing.

One thing to note is that the universal GTC-300 will not fit the S13 hatch due to the mounts being too far apart. I plan to order one from APR with closer mounting points.
              Cory B.

"Driving a race car as fast as possible is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction."
              http://www.youtube.com/user/nissanfanatic240

Comment

Originally posted by Cory View Post
                The APR GTC-300 isn't that expensive. APR does provide CFD data as well, but I don't know why they didn't simply test each wing.

One thing to note is that the universal GTC-300 will not fit the S13 hatch due to the mounts being too far apart. I plan to order one from APR with closer mounting points.
                hope you're going to build a real mount for it and not just have it bolted to the hatch.

Comment

Originally posted by Cory View Post

The GTC-300 is pretty damn expensive in my book. Isn't it quite a bit over a grand?

The hatch can take the stress if you reinforce it some. We're not talking about 1000 lbs of downforce from it or anything.
                  '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                  http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                    The hatch can take the stress if you reinforce it some. We're not talking about 1000 lbs of downforce from it or anything.
                    The better approach is to have a member going from the bottom of the hatch to the strut towers or where the fasteners are for the rear bumper support. This way the wing is putting downforce on the body instead of partially deflecting the hatch sheet metal before applying the remainder of the force to the body.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Fass240us View Post
                      The better approach is to have a member going from the bottom of the hatch to the strut towers or where the fasteners are for the rear bumper support. This way the wing is putting downforce on the body instead of partially deflecting the hatch sheet metal before applying the remainder of the force to the body.
                      That might prevent some movement, but is a little movement by the wing at max downforce conditions(i.e. going really fast, usually in a straight line) all that bad? Is the angle of attack going to change much? Probably not. Is the downforce generated going to change - not really, the airfoil is still in about the same place at about the same angle of attack.

I could see if you've got it mounted really closed to the center of the hatch/trunk and are loading it so you'll generate the highest bending moment, but if you have the uprights anywhere close to out towards the edges of the hatch I think a little reinforcement of the hatch/trunk skin will be fine.

Just my personal opinion. A little thin aluminum angle can add a lot of stiffness to a flat sheet, and tying it into the lower metal skeleton is pretty big for strength.

Comment

What do you guys think of these massive wings lol:

Comment

The GTC-300 is pretty damn expensive in my book. Isn't it quite a bit over a grand?
                          From what I have found, it is around a grand. That's not too bad IMO.

I plan to add some rigidity to the hatch. I don't see how the wing pressing down on a rigid hatch would not transfer force to the chassis adequately. I am not going to render my hatch trunk useless by adding supports and such. I can jump up and down on my hatch at 240lbs and the chassis moves, so I am pretty sure a wing pushing down will do the same.
                          Cory B.

"Driving a race car as fast as possible is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction."
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/nissanfanatic240

Comment

Originally posted by a_ahmed View Post
                            What do you guys think of these massive wings lol:

long wings can be beneficial. They increase down force, and the trailing vortexes (swirling separated air coming off of the end plates) are further apart. This is a good thing because this reduces induced drag, and downwash.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that is just for show.

That wing looks to have an extreme angle of attack. Angles exceeding (generally) 14 degrees causes stall on a steady straight flow. It is creating too much drag for the amount of down force.

On the other hand, this is all with the asumption of an airfoil profile wing. That specific wing on the S14 has a step in the middle. I'm not too sure how that affects the streamline. If anyone knows anything about the step in the middle, i'd like to understand a little more. I'm going to guess and say it has to do with controlling the air while turning.
                            Last edited by silverbullet; 02-19-2009, 12:45 PM.

Comment

The raised portion in the center is to better match the flow field around the back of the car. If you're talking about the radical change in profile, then I think you could chalk that up to someone that doesn't know WTF they're doing. That will certainly cause separation there, making the wing act like a big scoop or spoiler.

Comment

Working...
                              X