Duz, rivnuts, anchor nuts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duz, rivnuts, anchor nuts

Hey I have searched through the threads looking for some examples of mounting aero on the cars and so far found these three options.

I like the duz fastners but my experience with seeing them on aircraft showed a lot of wear in the areas from vibration and I am not sure if the same will happen on the car.

Rivnuts are a nice alternative but I am not sure about them starting to spin with removal over time. They could be drilled out I guess but a bit nervous.

Anchornuts seem the best method, two rivets and done. They can be used on all applications.

Anything I missed? I have two cars to do soon and one I want to change from sheet metal screws.

Thanks
    94 Vert on long road to RR recovery
    89 Hatch DD(died in crash)
    96 S14 stock KA/MT DD (replaced 89)

Originally posted by popz View Post
    Hey I have searched through the threads looking for some examples of mounting aero on the cars and so far found these three options.

I like the duz fastners but my experience with seeing them on aircraft showed a lot of wear in the areas from vibration and I am not sure if the same will happen on the car.

Rivnuts are a nice alternative but I am not sure about them starting to spin with removal over time. They could be drilled out I guess but a bit nervous.

Anchornuts seem the best method, two rivets and done. They can be used on all applications.

Anything I missed? I have two cars to do soon and one I want to change from sheet metal screws.

Thanks
    Rivnuts are fantastic. Don't be scared about them. My company uses them often in the aluminum light pole industry (cyclical wind loads) where human safety (i.e.-things breaking onto peoples heads) is obviously #1. Just make sure you have no large burrs on either side when installing them and don't be a meat-head with tightening torque. The splines on them hold more than you'd expect. I used them to put together the entire front end of my previous S13 which had parts from multiple effed up cars. Great for not needing to hold both ends to tighten or loosen the fastener.

Dzuz fasteners are great for quick removal. I used them on the Lexan side windows and front fenders for an Alfa Romeo chump car. A little tricky rigging them up, but also a great option.
    Core4 Motorsports
    CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
    S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

Thanks for the rivnut info. I might alter my thoughts about them.

I see people using the Duz fastners on the front and rear bumpers. My main concern is vibration eventually opening up the holes on the FRP parts. I saw this all the time on airplanes where they were used on Fiberglass parts.

Comment

Lots of racers use Dzus fasteners for body panels. The only time they have issues coming loose is when the fasteners get old and the ends wear/get warped and don't hold as well.

When that happens, replace the fastener and move on with life.
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I use rivnuts. Most of my bodywork is fiberglass. I have 2 in the fenders to mount the bumper, and the top is mounted to the stock location using an L bracket. Side skirts are also held in by rivnuts put into the metal of the car. I would't worry about them eventually spinning. I bought the "ribbed" ones to help insure that doesn't happen, but think about how much torque you're using when you tighten the body work. (its not very much...)

Comment

I think I am going to use the rivnuts and see how it goes.
            Thanks

Comment

+1 for rivnuts. Make sure you use a quality rivnut tool. I originally had a random ebay one (looks like the regular rivet tool) - sucked ass after several uses (metal part started bending out & not providing enough force, even on fiberglass). Now, I use an astro pneumatic one & overall works really well in terms of force. However, the little plastic adjuster has come loose, so I have to use up a thumb ratchet to screw the tool out.

http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumati...dp/B004KLVJAA/

On metal - easy peezy. On fiberglass, I use aluminum rivnuts. Using some anti seize really helps w/ installing/removing screws.

Majority of this body kit is rivnut together. Flares come/on fairly often. Front bumper comes on/off each event.

Comment

What size are you using? I was looking for 6mm but find them in only SAE so I am thinking 1/4-20 and using button head screws. I wanted to go smaller if possible but I am not sure if I should.

Comment

Subbing.
                  1990 240sx - Aristo 2JZGTE, R154, GT37, Defsport Wilwood kit, KTS coilovers - daily driver
                  1991 civic si - B18C5 / toda / ATS / hytech - autox
                  2001 integra type R - Greddy td05-18g - garage queen

Comment

Well I can not figure out why they didn't show up earlier on my M-Carr search but I will be going with M6 on the aero. Button head screws for a larger contact area and cleaner look.

Comment

Working...
                    X