Composite pulleys?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Composite pulleys?

With modern high pressure composite forging becoming used more often, I am curious to know why I have yet to hear anybody looking into making a composite engine pulley?

I don't mean for aesthetic reasons, the thought is primarily for weight reduction. If a finely balanced wheel is doable, why not go further?

Sounds to me like something ferrari might debut on a limited production car.
    Simplify, then add lightness.

The cost to benefit ratio is almost on a, hair-splitting, formula one level.

It would need metal inserts for the keyways for the sake of the shock loading. Also, the "weight reduction" isn't as critical since the radius of the pulleys isn't very large typically. Now, reducing the diameter and weight significantly, such as a 5.5" or 7.25" multi-disc clutch and flywheel setup, is substanstial, because you're bringing the weight down significantly and reducing the radius of the mass(moment of inertia).

Comment

The gains over a well designed aluminum pulley would be exceedingly minimal. Probably talking a few ounces on the average crank pulley these days, with no NVH control, so you probably won't see that on a production car.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Def, do you have any pictures of what you would consider to be a well designed, lightweight aluminum pulley?

Comment

Imagine all the aluminum pulleys you see with say 20-40 hrs of engineering work done optimizing the design via FEA. You're still not talking a ton of weight though, but it'd look badass.

A composite pulley just sounds like a total pain in the D from a manufacturing standpoint with all the inserts you'd need for wear surfaces then you'd need to balance it without creating stress risers which composites hate etc.

Comment

A well designed pulley being similar to this one, rather than the common OBX style unit?

Comment

Not much safety factor there by the look of things. Some lightening pockets are good, but for cars with long replacement intervals (read: pretty much all cars on this forum), it's good to leave a few grams on there for a much higher safety factor.

Maybe that's got more strength than I think it does, but it sure doesn't look very stout.

Comment

Working...
              X