My favorite splitter material

Alumalite
    http://www.laminatorsinc.com/sign-pa...ucts/alumalite
    or

Luan

cheap, stiff, easy to fabricate,

good for a disposable part
    GT3 Nissan 240SX sigpic

Yes, alumalite is definetly the way to go! The problem is trying to find it locally. All of the local sign shops have started using Dibond now. They say Dibond is more durable, but it's heavier and not as rigid as alumalite.

Comment

For splitters, Tegris is also pretty nice. it's expensive and heavy, but you can scrape it on the ground all day long and it just doesn't wear. I bought a few used NASCAR splitters for $5 each, and there was nothing wrong with them but rubber built up on the bottom where they scraped the track. a few had little chips taken out of the front, but it was pretty obvious they took a major hit to do that much. you could beat on this stuff all day with a hammer and it won't break- maybe deform a bit.

Anyway, my plan is to use the Tegris splitter for the front aero stuff, then go from the trailing edge of it to the axle centerline (per class rules) with alu sheet.
      Originally posted by SoSideways
      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Tegris is 1000000000x tougher than Alumalite. One good off with alumalite and hitting something it's probably done for. Once the aluminum and plastic creases you can just throw it away. It's pretty cheap, but not as cheap as a Tegris splitter.

Too bad the COT tegris splitters are not bigger and go back farther.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

And here I'm thinking of making something out of hard-board or ABS for the time being.

But I'm also looking at cost more than anything else here.
          '95 240sx

Comment

example

I've used 1/4" Luan, but with the 6" projection it's not stiff enough

not the greatest photo, but alumalite on the job.
            Attached Files
            GT3 Nissan 240SX sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy_Steve View Post
              And here I'm thinking of making something out of hard-board or ABS for the time being.

Do 1/4" birch plywood covered in fiberglass. Or just 1/2" birch plywood will do it with more weight.

Comment

Birch is really nice IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy_Steve View Post

Tegris NASCAR splitter = $5 + ship. I bought 6 of them for $70 shipped to the house, then sold a few off to friends for $15 and they got a dang good deal over shipping it htemselves.
                  then you can tack on some aluminum sheet metal or something behind it to keep the aero effects going back as far as you want.
                  '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Yeah, but try to find one if you're from the West Coast and you think Jimmie Johnson is a brand of sausages.
                    S13
                    1:31.xxx CW/CCW SoW
                    1:04.837 CW HTM
                    ?? Chuckwalla
                    ?? BW13

Comment

Matt,

Honestly, I've looked and never found any online for anywhere near the $5 you claim to have found them at. Sometimes I see them for like $60-$80, but even then its kinda rare.

I feel like you either got a freaking steal of a deal on them, or I'm just not looking in the right places. Funny because I would have thought that DC was close enough to NASCAR NC country to make it easier on me.

I appreciate the tip on used NASCAR stuff, but I think I'm gonna try out the sub $20 home depot thing first. Then maybe ask my friend to cut me a deal on some plastic aluminum composite stuff he uses on his HC car.
                      '95 240sx

Comment

i found one for 50 cents plus 20 bucks shipping on ebay. they are out there, just have to look a bit harder. they seem to not go that deep though. just enough to cover the leading edge of the bumper. thats the only reason i didnt pick it up.

Comment

www.racingmetal.com
                          they're not listed on the website anymore- call them and see if they still have any.

As Sil8y said, they're not that deep, but they're damn near indestructible and work fine for the front section. Then just go back with alu sheet to the front axle or something and you're done. Pics of mine if I ever get around to finishing it.
                          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Ph. 864-503-1765
                            Tegrisinfo@milliken.com
                            Try this for the tegris sheets and let us know what they say...

Comment

I got 6 for the same price Matt got his, as well as others getting the same deal at the time.

Just tell the racing metal guy you don't care who's car it came off of, you just want one that's in good shape because you're going to use it.

Comment

Working...
                              X