No announcement yet.

FRP vs Glass/carbon fiber

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 12lb hood is great but when I hit about 80 the middle of the hood bows up a couple of inches. Plumb scary. It has to have some vents VERY soon. Probably going to get TurboZ vents since I already have them. Never would have thought the engine bay would be that pressurized.

Comment

• A few strips of fiberglass will stiffen it up as well. But yea, doesn't take much pressure differential to really add up to a lot of force.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

• Just got my shipping confirmation. My Mustang GT500 hood vent just shipped

Only $59 shipped, not to shabby.
        -Monty

Comment

• Pic?

Comment

• Don't have it yet, but looks something like this...

-Monty

Comment

• Are you planning on putting it far enough back in the hood to miss cutting the ribs?

Comment

• Originally posted by logr View Post
                Are you planning on putting it far enough back in the hood to miss cutting the ribs?
                I'll go back as far as I can, but will probably be cutting into the ribs. I'll be adding some more fiberglass around the hole I cut and around the ribs I cut too. I'm hoping that with the vent there I won't have as much issue with lift (under the hood).
                -Monty

Comment

• Originally posted by McCoy View Post
                  Just got my shipping confirmation. My Mustang GT500 hood vent just shipped

Only $59 shipped, not to shabby.
                  I glued this vent on to my stock hood recently, its pretty sweet.

Before you do the install make sure you get a belt sander and take it to the underside of the 'stang's vent. The reason you'd want to do this is because not all the litle holes in the vent are open, and sanding it will open them up and thus give you some extra ventilation. You'll see the plugged up holes when you look at the vent.

Good luck with the install and post some pictures.

Comment

• Monty, I would love to meet up with you to get it. I have a race every weekend for the next 2 months, after this one.

Comment

• Just when I've talked myself into believing that my life is pretty good right now and that I have "a lot" of free time, I see a post like that

Everyone needs to throw up pics of their ebay+stang hoods. I think its funny that this is the combo we ended up with....would've thought the cheap ebay drift part market would have popped out some more decent hoods.
                      ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                      ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

• Hood showed up tonight. figured might as well post up a few pictures for those that haven't seen one up close. Install looks to be pretty easy, but the biggest issue will be reinforcing the hood once you cut out a section of those support ribs!

-Monty

Comment

• Originally posted by Def View Post
                          I really recommend getting a vented one. It helps will cooling and lowers aerodynamic drag and lift on the front end.

I'm rocking a frpbodykits vented hood. Took a bit of work to get it to fit(back was thicker than a stock hood), but it works fine now, and with a little bit of reinforcement I feel like it's not going anywhere.

It was about 19 lbs. I think you can save a few more lbs with a single layer CF one, but mine was only about $250ish shipped IIRC.
                          Could you explain how it would do that?

Comment

• sht....My hood only weights like 7 to 12 lbs.Only if you channel the radiator air to that vent makes it more efficient.What he means is that the lip in front of the vent helps the flow of hot air from the radiator out.Don't see a down force effect out of the ordinary.
                            I had to custom fab my turbo vents.I just cut the CF and made some vents.

When Being faster its all that matters

Comment

• Originally posted by madmax98 View Post
                              Could you explain how it would do that?
                              Normally a hood creates a high pressure area in the engine bay by "trapping air." Let it out, and you naturally reduce pressure. A small gurney flap before the vent will increase the flow out of the vent, and create a small high pressure area before it(all things equal). A higher massflow out of the vent could also slightly increase pressure behind the vents by "blowing" the airstream off the hood surface and raising pressure via that effect. This could also continue back to the rear wing and create LESS downforce on the rear, or more - it's one of those things you could never know unless you measured it on a full car.

These are all just generalities, actual effects would just need to be measured. No other way.

Originally posted by koeprototypes View Post
                              sht....My hood only weights like 7 to 12 lbs.Only if you channel the radiator air to that vent makes it more efficient.What he means is that the lip in front of the vent helps the flow of hot air from the radiator out.Don't see a down force effect out of the ordinary.
                              I had to custom fab my turbo vents.I just cut the CF and made some vents.
                              7-12 lbs is doable if you don't utilize the hinges as a structural element and have a full CF construction.

Interaction between aerodynamic elements is complex, and small changes can sometimes create fairly large difference in overall downforce on a car.
                              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

• Check this new hood

http://zilvia.net/f/interior-exterio...-279-20-a.html

"hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

Working...
                                X