No announcement yet.

FRP vs Glass/carbon fiber

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turns out the hood latch will work. The bar is 1/4" higher than the OEM hood but the latch did adjust enough. The reason it wouldn't latch before was the bar was a bit too thick. Once I trimmed down the diameter, all was fine. The hood fits well. The center is very flimsy but I didn't adjust the lights from the OEM hood so the fit is acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
      That's why mine doens't sleep outside.
      Mine sleep inside, behind a gate, with big mean dogs and a 12ga handy, on top of being in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

That's why mine doens't sleep outside.
        Mine doesn't either, but it attracts a fairly ridiculous amount of attention from younger ricers whenever I drive it around.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

another reason I don't drive mine anymore.. well other than it look stock with wheels on it.
          I get 10,000,000,000 questions already when I take two sets of wheels at a time to have R comps mounted on them at the local NTB. usually I wind up explaining to about 15 high school punks why there's no tread on the tires and that I track the car.. "like yeah.. on a real race track?" yup. "woah. that's like kickass dude.."

uuugh.
          Then I tell them I live 20 miles north of where I actually do.
          Originally posted by SoSideways
          I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
          '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Yea, I think it's strange sometimes when kids get crazy about your car then start asking where you live. I told one kid the general area(that's not really the area I live in, just close to it), then he kept pestering me and I finally told him there was no way I was actually going to tell him where I lived, so he could piss off.
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I live in a nice area atleast. So my babies sleep outside with no computer :P

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

When mine does stay outside, I take the steering wheel in with me.
                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I never rely on latches on anything but OEM hoods-
                  just dont forget to actually latch them. It seemed to have slipped my mind last weekend when i was driving my daily.

Comment

damn
                    "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

• Eek. What was the aftermath of that? Buying a new hood and windshield?
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

• hahaha, I don't SEE any cracks in the front glass...
                        '95 240sx

Comment

• You got lucky then. Had a friend's hood pop up on his B14 SER a few years ago and it buckled the hood, shattered the top 6" of his windshield (sending glass shards flying all over the interior), and damaged the roof.
                          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                            Eek. What was the aftermath of that? Buying a new hood and windshield?
                            Bent hood, cracked windshield, shattered sunroof, and a hazardous interior. I got rained on by my sunroof glass. I got a few cuts, but nothing serious.

So far I have removed the entire interior and replaced my carpet with a new one (grey instead of green), and vacuumed my seats and plastic panels. I purchased another sun roof for an unfortunate $200, but at least this one is tinted. I will get another windshield eventually, but my biggest concern now is to find another hood. OEMs are heavy and extremely hard to find. Fiberglass and carbon kevlar hoods all have ricey vents on them.. and i can't seem to find an OEM style.. so i've decided to go with this puppy right here.. http://www.aerokits.net/cart/index.p...oducts_id=4884. Listed price is 500 but the sales associates there can sell them for anywhere between their price and MSRP. Im expecting somewhere between 400 and 450.

I'm just kind of blown that my daily will have a light weight hood before my s13.
                            Last edited by silverbullet; 06-06-2010, 09:08 AM.

Comment

• Have you tried contacting anyone above that the guys used in buying their hoods? before they start putting vents on them, they usually have an OEM sample that they start with.
                              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

• they dont manufacture them, although they are probably the primary distributer for that company whom are somewhere in Asia. They get shipments monthly and even then, they arent sure what comes in the container.

theres a different vender on zilvia that is having a 25% off on cf hoods this week. they advertised that they have an oem style cf hood, however after shipping (they are on the wrong coast) the cost comes out to be jusst a tad bit higher than the hood i posted above. im debating between the two right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X