First Time Racing With Nasa AZ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time Racing With Nasa AZ

Well, I finally was able to get on a track that was more than Auto-X. Definitely had some fun, but I definitely have a lot to learn still! Engine held up awesome, brake pads not so much (Hawk HP+). I overheated the crap out of them in the beginning, so I had to keep braking early to not heat them too much on the main straight, which killed some time for sure. The Dunlops did surprisingly well all considering, definitely no R-Comp though, lol. Can't wait to get back out there next month!

Let me know what you think, definitely noob status here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54nOAzkd_fA

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
    96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

My suggestions:

1. Get an instructor next time (or 20) you go out

2. Get DTC-60s up front. The safe bet is new rotors as well since you overheated your pads on them. The 60's might clean them up... maybe.

3. Get more seat time, and have fun!
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

BTW - no instructor for HPDE2? I'm pretty sure NASA here has them in that group.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

They had instructors, but they don't go with you unless you ask for them. I'll be definitely having one next weekend, especially because it's a different course. I will utilize instructors as best I can, but it seems there's not enough to go around, which is why HPDE 1 gets priority.

This may be my last event in the S13, so I'll just finish off the pads I have on there for the next event. I have some HT10's for the 300ZX calipers on my S14 to get me by until I can swap knuckles that allow me to run the wilwoods again (GKTech's don't clear).

96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

They seem to be leaning away from instructors in DE2 in general to compete better with other track weekend / HPDE organizers. ... I know NASA South East doesn't have them in DE2, NASA North East does not have DE2 instructors IIRC, and NASA Mid Atlantic has more of an organized check ride process the first session or two each day for DE2 students.
          '95 240sx

Comment

Interesting, and I see a trend. Not entirely a fan of moving away from instructors as there is always something to learn (and I have ran into some bone heads who should not have been signed off for a ride to grocery store much less turn 3 at Summit!)

Comment

I don't know... There comes a point when you're asking a team of instructors to jump into students cars 8x a day and still be able to work on your own car and go out for a few of your own 4x sessions on track where the quality of instruction suffers, there's no time for a de-brief after the session, and you can barely maintain your own car... and it just stops being all that much fun. About the only up side is that a 2 hour stint in a lemons car doesn't seem like a big deal compared to your other routine at the track.

I'm a lot happier doing one student at a time. I can focus on them and more easily remember what they needed to work on. I can think about my own driving and car a bit and be more aware of track conditions that might effect them, and I'm less likely to be overly fatigued in the car to the point my own driving or my instruction starts to suffer.
              '95 240sx

Comment

You make some good points^^^

Comment

Working...
                X