Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buttonwillow #13CW S13.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Basically find a better line to take the turns or maximize tire happy zone.

    I plan on getting a 6/7pt cage on the car, harnesses will be a must.

    There are instructors for hire at the events I attend. I've tried to go to events with my friend(been instructed by record breaker at the track I race at) But our schedules really don't match up, plus I don't think my car suspension is set up correctly either. So he was going to ride along, vise versa so I can know what to change/improve.

    The group I usually go with are newbies that I'm trying to bring into the scene and FF hondas. I only have a 350z with me and he's really not that great at instructing me haha.

    Thanks Def.
    - Hong

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by hOngsterr View Post
      Basically find a better line to take the turns or maximize tire happy zone.
      First.. mentally slow down a touch- most people are trying to "go fast" when they need to think about what the car is doing and what it's happy place is. one of the biggest issues with n00bs is that they overdrive the car and throw it around on track because it feels faster to be sideways. I can't re-watch your video at work, but from the comments that's what it sounds like to me. slow down and think "smoooth" as you're driving, and you'll be surprised at how much faster you wind up being by the end of the weekend, and how much less tire wear you have.

      With that, you'll also feel and hear the tires running out of grip. a long carousel or a skidpad is the best place to play with this.. go into the corner and slowly feed more and more steering into the car. you'll see the car stop turning faster and the tires just make more noise. now crank back about 1/8 turn on the wheel and the noise will go away but the car keeps turning at the same rate. All that extra noise is speed, horsepower, and tires that you're just grinding into the pavement. If they have a skidpad at the track (some here do), you can really find the limits of the car's grip just by driving around on the skidpad for 30 seconds or a minute. you can find the limit of the steering at constant throttle, then start rolling into and off the gas and see how that changes the balance of the car. quite a neat learning tool when you take the time to think about what's happening to the steering, suspension, chassis (think weight transfer), and tires.


      Looking ahead is also a huge thing- safety wise as well as speed. you'll get to where you watch guy enter a turn 100 yards ahead and know he's going to spin on corner exit. you're then mentally prepared to slow a little more and avoid him as he's stopped backwards in the middle of the track..
      You will also find yourself turning in later and smoother vs. just aiming for the apex cone and then worrying about where to go next. before you even enter the corner, you need to be looking at- and past- the exit so you know where to aim at corner entry so you put your car where you want it at the exit. (remember that guy that spun and is sitting in the middle of the line at the exit? )


      Finally, I know how much fun it is to mod the car to make it faster, but keep in mind that the biggest mods needed are the driver. Get you a seat & harness that you're comfortable and secure in so that you can drive. after that, spend your money on seat time and instruction and you'll be AMAZED how much time ticks off.
      I loaned my car out to a friend a few years ago and he had done several events in his B14 SE-R prior. he was talking about getting a turbo and some Hoosiers and blah blah blah for his B14 just because my car was SOOOO much faster. I timed a couple of his laps and he was running 2:30s on that track. I was running 2:03s at the time on the same car and same tires. So there was roughly 30 seconds difference between drivers on the same car, same track, same day. It ain't about what's done to the car.

      Fast forward about 5 years and yes I've done things to the car since then. However, I'm down to a 1:58 at the same track and the previous race I was running a 2:01 on the same track, same tires, no change in the car. I don't know WHAT I did in the last year, but my driving has improved by 2-3 seconds at every track I've been to, and I haven't done a thing to the car other than maintenance.
      Last edited by Matt93SE; 05-14-2014, 06:53 AM.
      Originally posted by SoSideways
      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

      Comment


      • #18
        It's the KA - it's loosened itself up into a full race-build for +25 HP.

        Is it at TWS where you ran a 1:58? That's pretty quick, although that track really punishes poor gearing (I hold the exact same speed after just 100-150 yards on the front straight all the way to the braking zone for the next corner going both directions).
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!


        DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

        Comment


        • #19
          Yeah, TWS..
          Gearing in the KA tranny is stupid bad with the power my engine makes. I shift to 5th at start/finish and gain just a couple mph from there to turn in. I haven't run the track CW in yeeeears- way before I bothered with timing anything.

          As for power, I certainly haven't gained that much! I can't pull a top-flight SM on the straights until over 100mph, which is where the aero starts kicking in and it seems the 240 is a touch slipperier than a jellybean-shaped Miata. point being, using the same p/w as a front running SM puts my car at roughly 150whp. given the few things I've done to the engine, 120k miles with 30k track miles, stock ECU, then that passes the smell test.
          Originally posted by SoSideways
          I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
          '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

          Comment


          • #20
            Noted.

            Thanks Matt, now I wait til December for a cooler event.
            Trying my best to get in seat time.
            - Hong

            Comment


            • #21
              hOngsterr:

              Cal Club will be running at Fontucky (AAA Autoclub speedway Roval) in Early June, CalClub has a time trials event (think HPDE) where they will provide instruction, They also do several events at Buttonwillow (their home track)
              I am SKULLWORKS

              Comment


              • #22
                I'm going to wait when its cooler dec-feb time, summer just drains the life out of me.
                - Hong

                Comment


                • #23
                  Sissy. :P
                  Originally posted by SoSideways
                  I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                  '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                  '96 240SX- The Track Toy

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                    Yeah, TWS..
                    Gearing in the KA tranny is stupid bad with the power my engine makes. I shift to 5th at start/finish and gain just a couple mph from there to turn in. I haven't run the track CW in yeeeears- way before I bothered with timing anything.

                    As for power, I certainly haven't gained that much! I can't pull a top-flight SM on the straights until over 100mph, which is where the aero starts kicking in and it seems the 240 is a touch slipperier than a jellybean-shaped Miata. point being, using the same p/w as a front running SM puts my car at roughly 150whp. given the few things I've done to the engine, 120k miles with 30k track miles, stock ECU, then that passes the smell test.
                    That's right about the times I was getting for my car on street tires. But like you, with the 4.36 I'd go to 7500 RPM in 4th, which was 131 according to the STACK dash (GPS verified accurate since you program in the wheel diameter), then I shift to 5th and it'd eek up to 132-133 before the braking zone which is a LONG way down there. Luckily it'd pull right up to redline in 4th going into T7 or T6 (CCW or CW), so the gearing works well there, but horrible everywhere else. I'm hoping the 4.63 and maybe a touch more power on E85 will pull in 5th.
                    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!


                    DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Not too bad. Some great advice here.

                      Some of those turns that you downshifted to 2nd look like you could take in 3rd gear. I've never driven that track. Maybe someone who has can chime in. Personally, I try not to downshift to second if I can carry momentum through the turn. Your engine and clutch will thank you.
                      2006 Honda Civic Si
                      2004 BMW 330i ZHP
                      2002 Porsche 911 C2 cabriolet
                      2001 325ci
                      1997 M3 coupe
                      1997 Accord Wagon
                      1994 Corvette 6-spd
                      1994 BMW 325is
                      1989 240SX Redtop

                      I have a problem. :-P

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Prelude Guy View Post
                        Not too bad. Some great advice here.

                        Some of those turns that you downshifted to 2nd look like you could take in 3rd gear. I've never driven that track. Maybe someone who has can chime in. Personally, I try not to downshift to second if I can carry momentum through the turn. Your engine and clutch will thank you.

                        Haha thats what I've been noticing also on second gear cause then i would have to shift often. There should be a turn or 2 i believe i really need to go back to second either than that i should be okay on 3rd. I'm going to hold off the 4.36 til i actually buy a OSG 1.5 and run 4.08 on the helical.


                        Thanks for your insight.
                        - Hong

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          New PB. New Vid. More to improve.

                          http://youtu.be/pe8xPwAf1t0
                          - Hong

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Right on....Although I've only raced motorcycles on that layout...

                            Looks like you could concentrate on braking a touch later and harder, feeding in the power sooner, keep feeding power on through the bowl, apex follow through later so you gain more track exit on the backside and can accelerate hard into the end horse shoe, and use a bit more track in the fast sections...

                            Pretty dang smooth though!

                            Ch


                            Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by a250gpguy View Post
                              Right on....Although I've only raced motorcycles on that layout...

                              Looks like you could concentrate on braking a touch later and harder, feeding in the power sooner, keep feeding power on through the bowl, apex follow through later so you gain more track exit on the backside and can accelerate hard into the end horse shoe, and use a bit more track in the fast sections...

                              Pretty dang smooth though!

                              Ch


                              Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
                              Haha, I've noticed that too. Riverside (bowl) I'm still scared of that that's why i was yelling "maintain". Having those cones on track didn't help either lol

                              Thanks man!
                              - Hong

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                riverside is a whole new deal this year with a fresh pave job out there. I lost time on this config because all my brake markers were gone now...but then ended up gaining time because i had to develop better braking zones to make use of the new smooth and grippy surface.
                                I am SKULLWORKS

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X