Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SR20DET Now legal for Club Racing in STU!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR20DET Now legal for Club Racing in STU!

About time. I've been contemplating requesting it, but never followed through. It's at least in there though.

It's got a turbo inlet restrictor with a 2mm handicap on it so for a 2675lb S-chassis, I'd have to run the stock turbo with a 31mm restrictor. Should still be able to make decent power, but I still don't think it'll keep up with a Solstice at 2900lbs and 400hp/420tq.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

That's really small compared to a Solstice that can do 400 rwhp at a couple hundred lbs more.

You could run E85 and maybe push 280-290/320-350 at a limited turbo life (1-3 seasons is my guess). Some of that is limited torque for the block's sake.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Can't run E85. I can run any gasoline I want- 87 unleaded pump (E10) to 116 leaded- but no E85. I could also run diesel. But no luck on E85. several people have requested it and been denied.
      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

That's lame. You can do about the same thing with probably 103-110ish octane fuel. Or even a mix of leaded gas + 93 to keep costs down. You'd just need something for the high IATs and high boost in the midrange. I imagine it'd be around 20-22 psi in the midrange and tapering down to whatever it can handle up top.

Lots of stock cars run E85, and it's cheap. I wonder what the logic is on outlawing it?

Comment

Didn't the GTiR's have a restrictor on the turbo in the 30mm range? Perhaps that's something you could get a hold of to make life a tad easier?
          My Blog | Unfriendly Garage | Endurance Motorsports

Comment

If you had a S15 sr20, that turbo is pretty darn responsive. Can you up injectors and MAF?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
            Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
            TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

S14/S15 turbo is the same for power production. That would be the "stock" turbo in question with an S14 SR.

I think injectors/MAF/MAP/engine management is open for STU. Drop in STi 525cc injectors are cheap and would support the power on gas just fine. They just need Subie sidefeed connectors wired in which doesn't take much time.

Comment

BTW - restrictor would be pretty easy to machine up. Or this summer I guess I could even 3D print one (if they would allow non-metallic).

Comment

Engine components are relatively free. I have to run stock turbo and intake manifold, but rods, pistons, exhaust mani, injectors, ECU, interooler, etc are all open.

On the restrictor, I'm sure it's something that could be made out of a chunk of aluminum on a lathe, just need to figure out what I want to do on restrictor size. i.e. get the engine in and see what the car weighs, then pick a restrictor size to match.
                  '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

So you doing this thing?

What's the story on the RX-7?

Comment

I'm divided. I want to do it just to see what the car can do, plus it will up the sale price of the car a bit. However, why bother dumping thousands of bucks into a car that I've got for sale when I know I'm not going to get that much back out of it?

The RX7 still needs a flywheel done. I've got the measurements I need, just need to draw it up and get it to the fab shop.
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Yea, I think the hidden costs will creep in if you "do it right."

On the other hand, if the car isn't selling now, do you think being faster will significantly help the sale?

Comment

I'm not REALLY trying to sell it other than the sticker on the windshield. car is running and my RX7 isn't, so I'm not in a big hurt.

I have an ECU already, have mounts already (assuming KA mounts work). Intercooler, piping, larger exhaust, and etc are all costs that will come during the installation. I'm sure there are more that I'm missing, but yeah- I'm aware it's not JUST the cost of the engine that will be needed.
                          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

What exhaust do you have now? Cheap turbo outlet + downpipe off eBay would match up with what you've got. The more flow the better, but it wouldn't need to be anything crazy. Cheap 3" eBay exhausts work here on a budget.

You'd need injectors, probably an oil pan of some sort for the SR, and probably cams of some sort to give a better top end powerband. Plus flywheel and clutch in addition to what you mentioned.

Definitely would need a better radiator.

KA mounts should work (but I wouldn't use old tired stockers if that's what you're talking about) - JGS rubbers are cheap enough and work well.

Otherwise it's not that hard of a swap.

So I'm betting around $1.2-1.8k on top of the engine cost to do it reasonably.

Comment

Current exhaust is 2.5", so that would need to go. I have some 3" pipe and can fab up an exhaust tho- just takes time.

Injectors and oil pan would be secondary to getting the thing together. plan would be to get it running stock and then build a bit more later. if I can find an oil pan at decent price before installing, that's a bonus. injectors, cams, better exhaust mani would come later.

radiator is no big deal. 3-row circle track radiators are a couple hundred bucks and I have about $500 in Summit cash right now.

Current mounts are JGS poly (rattlerattlerattle) and are maybe 3 months old.
                              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Working...
                              X