Nasa Instructor Status!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nasa Instructor Status!!!

Hello all, i have recently passed my certification as a NASA HPDE Instructor. And i am approved to instruct with PCA, MDA, Trackdaze, and ITRCA. I will eb documenting with video all my track sessions this summer, which will be adding up to some 30+ hrs of track time this season. I will be doing some mild suspension adjustments, playing with brake ducting, and most of all working on pushign my car harder and harder each event to get my laptimes down to competative levels to start aiming myself at W2W. I have driven my car to 1:25's at Summit Point Main (no video sadly) and i believe the car is capable of 1:22's with some real balls, and then i will need up upgrade suspension to get any lower.

If anyone wants to come to the track and join me for a weekend of fun, or stop in and say hi, get a ridealong, etc i will have my track schedule posted up here for all to see. I am usually with a good group of people i always track with, so once out on track its good times.

Any questions about NASA classing, HPDE levels, driving skills per group or just wondering if your ready to move up to the next level feel free to ask me what ever questions you have.

May

Summit Point Shen. 17-18 (TD) COMPLETED
    Sat – Sun

VIR Full 23-25 (PCA) COMPLETED
    Fri – Sun

June

Summit Point Main 21-22 (NASA) COMPLETED
    Sat – Sun

July

Gingerman Raceway 19-20 COMPLETED
    Sat - Sun
    August

Mid-Ohio (PCA) CANCELED
    Date comming soon

Summit Point Main 23-24 (NASA) CANCELED
    Sat - Sun

October

Summit Point Shen. 4-5 (TD)
    Sat – Sun

Summit Point Main 11-12 (NASA)
    Sat – Sun

November

Summit Point Shen. 1-2 (MDA)
    Sat - Sun
    Last edited by sr20goofus; 09-02-2008, 10:34 PM.
    NASA HPDE Instructor

well guys....i ran into some trouble already this season after only 3 events...blown motor. But a new one (very basic, nothing fancy) is in the works only days after getting home from VIR.

Summit Point Shenandoah, great track, very technical, not very high speed, but easy to learn after a session or two. I suggest anyone who has the opportunity to hit this track...its like a glorified go-kart track.

is anyone considering moving up to the instructor level?
    NASA HPDE Instructor

Comment

I thought about it, free track time is fun and I usually enjoy teaching, but there's no way I'll have the time and money to do enough events to be an instructor any time in the next few years. I'm way too much of a noob right now.
      ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
      ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

i understand turtl you dont have to try and jump throught he ranks quickly, i dont suggest that by anymeans, but more of a suggestion as something to shoot for eventually. You know like alot of people aim to race but loose focuse quickly once they realize ho wmuch it costs to race, do track days nonetheless. This is a much more feasable idea and actually benefits the trackday finances.

It took me 3 years of tracking my car and being comfortable in an agressive groupe (HPDE 3) to finally jump up to instructor, this way i know how to handle myself in odd traffic situations and therefor be able to reiterate the infomation to a lesser qualified driver.

Now i get to drive in a FAST group with better driving than the HPDE 3 group and not as awkwardly agressive (no fresh out of HPDE 2 guys). So its a much more enjoyable situation out on track, so be getting point-bys in the worst possible places, and then pointing by the same person 2 min later.....more of a race derived group, without the testosteron induced ageressiveness.
        NASA HPDE Instructor

Comment

Can you move through the different HPDE groups quickly if you have a lot of previous experience? I've just done events with the PCA in different regions, so I was curious if NASA even recognizes that or if you have to do all your track time with them.

I agree that W2W racing gets ridiculously expensive, whereas instructing is cheaper than doing DEs, so it's certainly attractive. I don't see myself doing any W2W for a really long time, but then again, my free time will only dwindle in the next 6-7 years, so it's really a moot point.
          ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
          ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

I've always thought it'd be fun to be an instructor. The W2W thing looks like great fun, but after seeing how much of a PITA it can be and how $$$ it can be after it all adds up, I've been a bit turned off by it. Plus you end up with a car you're lucky to drive 10-15 times a year. Call me a ricer, but I like to at least occasionally drive my fast/loud/obnoxious car on the street, if for nothing else to get a break from daily driving the same car(which isn't bad being an E36 M3, but still, the S13 gets the blood flowing more).

I've been doing track events for about 6 years, but for various reasons I haven't really had a chance to go to the track much in the past 3. It's a shame, but at some point I plan on tracking the crap out of my car whenever my life stops getting in the way.
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

alright guys this hasnt been updated in a LONG time, and no one has anything to say about NASA either.

I have been trying to expand my instructor abilities by joining other car clubs to get a feel for their instructing style and track etiquette type situations.

So far i have instructed with PCA, NASA MA, Trackdaze, Mazda Drivers, and WMHM.

If my applications go through ill be in with a PCA NJ chapter and Chin Motorsports. So far one group wants me to sign up as a student and give a ride-along with their head instructor to prove my worthiness, im skeptical because i have so many references that the group might be a bunch of stuck up a$$holes with expensive cars and very strict attitudes, we will see i guess.

if anyone has any questions about being an instructing with any group dont hesitate to ask.

turtle - sorry for delayed response, NASA recognizes just about any group as long as you have the minimal amount of track time (15 events, 30 track days). And then you go through the clinic and get certified/approved, and yes it is possible to fail, i have seen it done, and then there are also people who just dont like being in a car with a rookie, so they freak out.

I personally really enjoy teaching, especially at speed, MOST of the time the student wants to learn, so they listen, tho they dont always remember (frustration sets in). If you can handle ride-alongs with fast drives with no issue than being an instructor is cake (most rookie students are always slow, no matter what car)
              NASA HPDE Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by sr20goofus View Post

I have been trying to expand my instructor abilities by joining other car clubs to get a feel for their instructing style and track etiquette type situations.

If my applications go through ill be in with a PCA NJ chapter and Chin Motorsports. So far one group wants me to sign up as a student and give a ride-along with their head instructor to prove my worthiness, im skeptical because i have so many references that the group might be a bunch of stuck up a$$holes with expensive cars and very strict attitudes, we will see i guess.

if anyone has any questions about being an instructing with any group dont hesitate to ask.

)
                The reason most groups will ask you to pay/drive at an event first is that there are a lot of people out there who "claim" to be instructors and are not one. As I am sure you have seen --all the clubs have different standards of instruction and the quality is not the same from club to club.

The best way to get approved for any HPDE in the Northeast is to go through a BMWCCA ITS program. Once you graduate /get certified --you will have people begging you to staff events. Problem there is you have to spend some time in a chapters events, pass the standards and then get a recommendation to attend one of the ITS events.
                DJ

2008 Nismo 350z
                91 240SX CA18det
                Track Day/ Time Trial/ AX car

Comment

Originally posted by 91rs13 View Post
                  The best way to get approved for any HPDE in the Northeast is to go through a BMWCCA ITS program. Once you graduate /get certified --you will have people begging you to staff events. Problem there is you have to spend some time in a chapters events, pass the standards and then get a recommendation to attend one of the ITS events.
                  Ahhh, so that is what I'm going to this next Febuary in Seattle, I was told I was going to an instructor training school, but not really given any details on it yet, before I start instructing for the local BMWCCA Inland Empire Chaper next spring.
                  -Monty

Comment

see i cant be spending money on events this year, gas + repairs and some mods have added up to too much already. If i had to pay for evens i would only have done like 4-5 total this year, if i am lucky, since i only paid for one event its one of the greatest decisions i have ever made, it gave me the ability to rebuild my engine.

I understand the concept and its funny how i thought more groups would recognize NASA instructors, but i guess they have their own standards. I will have to work towards that next year maybe.
                    NASA HPDE Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by McCoy View Post
                      Ahhh, so that is what I'm going to this next Febuary in Seattle, I was told I was going to an instructor training school, but not really given any details on it yet, before I start instructing for the local BMWCCA Inland Empire Chaper next spring.

Yea --ITS started in the northeast a few years back and then was adopted by BMWCCA national as "recommended" for all chapters. I have not been through it ( I am event coordinator -chief steward --not an instructor) -- but have heard some horror stories. Like guys come out of their hotel room the 2nd day and have to decide if they want to go back to the track or go home!

It really separates the "I want free track time" crowd from the " I want to instruct crowd"

sr20goofus --please do not be offended by the comment above-it is not directed at you. I understand the $$ thing. I get my local chapters events for free since I work and have for a long time---but I pay for the Time trial series I run.

This year has been brutal with entry fees, travel expenses and especially fuel!
                      DJ

2008 Nismo 350z
                      91 240SX CA18det

Comment

im not offended, no worries, i do really enjoy instructing its a great experience to help someone and see their progress in such a short period of time, assuming they arnt stubborn and thick headed.

I did start this whole venture with the main reason to assist in doing more events at less cost, turns out i enjoy it more than i could have predicted a year ago.
                        NASA HPDE Instructor

Comment

Yea --ITS started in the northeast a few years back and then was adopted by BMWCCA national as "recommended" for all chapters. I have not been through it ( I am event coordinator -chief steward --not an instructor) -- but have heard some horror stories. Like guys come out of their hotel room the 2nd day and have to decide if they want to go back to the track or go home!
                          Sounds like fun... I've been supporting the BMW HPDE events for 5 years now as either a corner worker or as pit out (start/stop) and I've always had alot of respect for the instructors, as I know alot of them personally. I had no intention of being an instrutor, and was quite surprised that I was asked to be one. I guess I'll see here next month if I'm cut out for it or not, and the real test will be in Feb. when I attent the ITS in Seattle.

This year has been brutal with entry fees, travel expenses and especially fuel!
                          I was surprised that we had a record turnout for the races this year at our local track, and the Friday open track days and BMW HPDE's all still seem to be as full as ever, even with all the additional costs... I know that I am driving less now due to the cost of gas, more than 3 tanks of gas in a day kind of hurts.
                          -Monty

Comment

Sounds like fun... I've been supporting the BMW HPDE events for 5 years now as either a corner worker or as pit out (start/stop) .
                            That is how I started this addiction --er I mean sport

I was surprised that we had a record turnout for the races this year at our local track, and the Friday open track days and BMW HPDE's all still seem to be as full as ever, even with all the additional costs... I know that I am driving less now due to the cost of gas, more than 3 tanks of gas in a day kind of hurts.
                            Our BMW events at Lime Rock Park and Watkins Glen were full this year. We added a new event at Calabogie in Canada --that was not so well attended --but it was a blast. In talking to other clubs that run there --their events have been light on attendees

The Time Trial club I have been running with is hit or miss. Some events have been packed ( New Hampshire and Mt Tremblant ) --others have been light ( Watkins Glen, Calabogie and I think Mosport --missing that one)

I went to NJ motorsports park in July and that was packed ( new track)

Lets see --for most of those tracks 3 tankfuls of gas in the truck gets me there and back --then I put gas in the car ( 94 unleaded in Canada is about US$5.50+ per gallon)

But we are having fun--right
                            DJ

2008 Nismo 350z
                            91 240SX CA18det

Comment

That is how I started this addiction --er I mean sport
                              Mine was autocross, but yes working the BMW was my stepping block into doing track days.

Lets see --for most of those tracks 3 tankfuls of gas in the truck gets me there and back --then I put gas in the car ( 94 unleaded in Canada is about US$5.50+ per gallon)
                              3 tanks of gas on track... not including getting to/from the track

We run hot all day and the attendance has always been small at our Friday track days... means lots of track time for me.
                              -Monty

Comment

Working...
                              X