LS1 vs VQ35

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS1 vs VQ35

So I bought my 240 with full intentions of instantly pulling the SR20det thats currently in the car. I am torn between two engine to stick in the car though. The two options area stock LS1 backed by a T56(from a GTO with the better gear ratios) or a VQ35 backed by the 350z/g35 6-speed. Once the chassis and suspension are sorted out, I will want more power. That means a cam for the LS1 and boost for the VQ. Both engines weigh about the same, but because the VQ is shorter, it would result in a better weight distribution. The VQ requires more work and more fabrication, but thats the fun part. I know myself and I think if I did the LS1 I would be bored with it and end up making too much power for the cars good. Price wouldn't be very different between the two once more power is made. Ive done the LS1 and something new would be nice. Lots of power isn't necessary on track, but it sure makes for lots of fun on the street. The VQ swap isn't very common and because of that you can't just buy some parts and throw it in like you can with a LS1. What would you guys do, and keeping the SR isn't an option, I want something different. Thanks
    -Dave
    TEAM FAIL RACING

I went through this a few months ago and I stayed away form the VQ35 due to the amount of effort needed to get the engine management to work. The VQ would likely be the cheaper option if they took care of that issue.

Comment

Awesomeness with the VQ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APVz_4rjPIg

But its more driver than anything else making full use of that car. I would like to know more about it though . Seems mega awesome.

The sound is also quite brilliant.

The LS1/and its many variants 2,3,6,7, etc... are appealing as... they are power monsters, easy to mod, NA, turbo brings stupendous power. The initial cost is alot but the long term cost is little and worthwhile. Reliable, good on gas (lol), power anywhere in the power band, low-end, mid-end, high-end. Proven to be swappable and worthwhile in so many different chassis. What can one say. Simple design, pushrod, low center of gravity. YOU CAN make it 50:50 with cutting firewall/some extra work. So... yeah...

It's a personal choice.

The VQ is the lightest engine choice if im not mistaken to put in an s13.... the LS is like 100lbs heavier? T56 = awesome. 350z transmission = awesome but not as much methinks (i dont have facts to back me up, but makes sense to me, more torque, more requirment no?)

Both seem awesome in different ways... but going all out me would think LS would be the right choice... but power and speed cost money as does everything in this hobby... so meh..

That VQ is sexy thoughh.
      "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

the ls1/t56 is 50lbs at most heavier than the VQ if even that. There is a EMS solution for the VQ35 out as well. LS1's are great, but their oiling systems are not. And with large r-comps and the higher rpm I want to run with a built motor down the road a dry sump system is necessary. The VQ would just leave me wanting more power I think.
        TEAM FAIL RACING

Comment

Sikky's LS swap kit for s chassis and z chassis looks awesome, includes a race oil pan and some other bling, and has some oil starvation sorted out with the lil accusump system

http://www.thermalnator.com/products.../nissan_mounts

http://www.thermalnator.com/products...parts/accusump

I like their kit looks like an overall high quality product.

As always I'm lke everyone else a cheap broke ass s chassis owner who wishes it was less expensive but you get what you pay for haha. I won't be spending no money on the car in quite some time heh... but this is what I wish i'd get and do.

And the vette with the right exhaust sounds menacingly awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZPBRjcDN4Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPQfzjkYe3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SdKoWbtcyU

Bottom line is, I wish I had a corvette to build and not a 240sx lmao.
          Last edited by a_ahmed; 11-15-2008, 11:24 AM.
          "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

Originally posted by No Rotr View Post
            the ls1/t56 is 50lbs at most heavier than the VQ if even that. There is a EMS solution for the VQ35 out as well. LS1's are great, but their oiling systems are not. And with large r-comps and the higher rpm I want to run with a built motor down the road a dry sump system is necessary. The VQ would just leave me wanting more power I think.
            That's only true if you're talking about the stock LS1 from a camaro. The LS6 in the vette has no oil problems. There has also been no reports of those oil problems when using the GTO oil pan. However, there are a lot less people taking GTOs on track as opposed to camaros and vettes.

But effectively, upgrading the oil pump to a LS6 oil pump and changing to the GTO oilpan, seems to cure the oiling issues with the camaro LS1.

Comment

I think it'd really depend on how much power you want. If you just want about 300 rwhp, the VQ would probably be my choice(what about a VH45DE?), but if you want much beyond that then I'd go with an LS something if that was the only other choice.
              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I think for the cost of having a really nice LS engine setup, I'd rather just buy a C5 and not have to deal with the jankiness of a swap. It'd make for a nicer street car, and what kind of racing would let you run a Chevy V8 in a nissan?
                ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

I'm inclined to agree, you can get a Z51 C5 and haul ass relative to just getting a V8 into an S chassis.

The VH45DE doesn't look that bad if you do a good bit of work yourself though, and would be fun.
                  '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                  http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by No Rotr View Post
                    I know a guy who is on motor #3 from the crappy oil system in a 350z.

What about the 5.3 all alum Chevy truck motor as the low cost leader.

Comment

Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
                      I think for the cost of having a really nice LS engine setup, I'd rather just buy a C5 and not have to deal with the jankiness of a swap. It'd make for a nicer street car, and what kind of racing would let you run a Chevy V8 in a nissan?

I agree with this, and if I weren't knee deep in the swap right now, I would probably reconsider selling my 240 and just getting a vette. I always viewed the vette as being too heavy and too big, but after autocrossing one recently, I'm a believer in that car. I was even driving a lowly C4. I can't wait for the C6 to drop down below $20K...

Of course, I'm also the type that likes to be a black sheep and do things that the mainstream doesn't do. I also enjoy the challenge of a good project, although I do admit that an engine swap is a bit overwhelming at times.

Comment

Originally posted by ecugrad View Post
                        What about the 5.3 all alum Chevy truck motor as the low cost leader.
                        It's not a low cost leader. After purchasing the 5.3 aluminum block and then purchasing everything you need to convert it to the "car" engine, you would be at the same price as just buying a LS1 car based engine.

The low cost leader is the 5.3L iron truck motor.

Comment

I guess Vettes are pretty big, but they're really not that heavy.

I think the VH45 swap sounds cool since I could get the motor for basically free, but without fabbing abilities getting it in the car will be costly. Actually, fabbing won't help you much, since you'd still need the Mazworx trans adaptor, a driveshaft, etc. And once it's in, you're pretty much stuck with 280-300 whp unless you go FI. Once Mazworx gets some cams out that might change, but even so, I'd be surprised to see over 350whp without more compression or boost.
                          ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
                            I guess Vettes are pretty big, but they're really not that heavy.

I think the VH45 swap sounds cool since I could get the motor for basically free, but without fabbing abilities getting it in the car will be costly. Actually, fabbing won't help you much, since you'd still need the Mazworx trans adaptor, a driveshaft, etc. And once it's in, you're pretty much stuck with 280-300 whp unless you go FI. Once Mazworx gets some cams out that might change, but even so, I'd be surprised to see over 350whp without more compression or boost.
                            I don't get that swap at all? It's not a bad engine, but what does it offer over the GM engine or the VQ35 engine? Can you easily get 300whp out of the VQ35?

Comment

If you're doing swaps just to be different, then a DOHC V8 certainly fits the bill. THe fundamentals of the engine seem pretty good, but I agree, with almost no aftermarket, it's pretty silly to build one unless you're just looking for pretty much stock power (or want to build some manifolds and boost it).

300whp out of a VQ35 is not easy N/A, I think most of the bolt-on Z33 guys are more around 260. I looked into this a little a while back and expected a lot more cars over 280whp than I found. For 300 or more, think big cams, longtube headers, more compression, new IM, etc.

Cosworth has some nice parts, but expect to pay $$$$$$$$$$
                              Their intake manifold is $1200, for example, and a pair of heads is $4600.
                              (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz-0GeRp-mQ cool vid, cosworth's engine dyno setup is pretty sweet from what I've read)
                              Last edited by turtl631; 11-15-2008, 07:25 PM.
                              ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Working...
                              X