No announcement yet.

LS1 vs VQ35

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

or you can man up an do a standalone ECU and avoid the whole BS wasted time using all the factory boxes and wiring.

Casey + VQ + AEM EMS universal = FTW (NASA PTA racing 2010)
    NASA HPDE Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by sr20goofus View Post
      or you can man up an do a standalone ECU and avoid the whole BS wasted time using all the factory boxes and wiring.

Casey + VQ + AEM EMS universal = FTW (NASA PTA racing 2010)
      I have not researched it yet but I can't help but think that the OEM ECU has better hardware specification and more advanced fuel and timing programming than what could be done with an AEM.

Tanner Foust has been using the AEM Universal on his car so it obviously can be tuned well for track use.

I went with the OEM ECU to retain the NATS and I figured I'd rather figure out the wiring then have to worry about getting the car tuned after getting it running and risk a bad tune on a daily driver/weekend track car.

Since there are many people who can flash the OEM ECU with good result I think that it is a good option, expecially for a street car.

If I were to go stand alone I'd take a hard look at the Motec M800 and Pectel SQ6M as their ETC and variable cam timing controls are top shelf.

Apex Speed Technology forums would be able to answer any questions on the AEM vs Motec vs Pectel debate.

If the SQ6M12 can Make a BMW V10 run with full VANOS, dual ETC, traction control, and other goodies It will handle a VQ no problem.
      http://apexspeedtech.com/cblog/index...-ALIVE!!!.html
      The Nerd shall inherit the podium for knowledge is power.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Fass240us View Post
        Meaning you'd have to have an inspection or troubleshooting done at a Nissan dealership, or other place with a Consult diagnostic machine?
        I'm not sure yet. Once mine is running I'll see if the GST tool trips safe mode or not but I'm almost certain the default readiness tests will trigger safe mode.

I'm thinking that only the Consult tool has the "Manual Trigger" mode so it is either dealer time or purchase an expensive tool.

Comment

the AEM will have the engine just as good if not better than factory, having full tunability at my fingertips would be ideal. I can eliminate things and add things at will with just minor wiring or input changes. The motec and pectel is super pricey, i cant justify putting anything more expensive than a $1900 EMS into my 18yr old car. Those others are great, but my car will not be worthy of the motec ballerness, even when i compete in 2010, just too overkill when the AEM will do the same things just as good in the end.
          NASA HPDE Instructor

Comment

I feel like I just had sex LOLLL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU2h0JTq2fk

bad assssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

+35whp + better overall powerband + badassss car sex sounds!

Here is a short video showcasing our SGM Longtube Headers, which have shown gains of over 13whp over coast fab headers, and 35+ whp over factory exhaust manifold and cats.

But possibly most exciting is the sound, proper equal length headers with real collectors merge the pulses in such a way that 7000rpm can sound like 13,000rpm. But watch and see!

For more information or to order a set for your VQ, please visit SG-Motorsport.com
            "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

AEM is plenty reliable for a daily driver. Brian (your_mom) ran his on 2 different cars, full time.
              Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Originally posted by a_ahmed View Post
                I feel like I just had sex LOLLL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU2h0JTq2fk

bad assssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

+35whp + better overall powerband + badassss car sex sounds!
                Haha yeah that single video made me re-consider future engine plans...
                '06 wrx - DD

'89 s13 hatch - jackstand racing national champion

Comment

I've been leaning towards the VQ35 over the RB25 now since it weighs so much less and doesn't need a turbo and its inherent lag to make its power. I'm not looking for huge power anyway and just want something thats more fun than the KA. It would cost a hell of a lot more though, especially because of the EMS issues and the cost of a custom Y-Pipe.

Comment

Y pipe wouldnt be much, a muffler shop could do it or a performance shop. And the EMS issue is being further sorted out by myself and others. you can either wire in all the stock BS or do a universal standalone. I am however finding out more about the Haltech Premuim offered for the 350Z as a plug-n-play unit for 240's with some minor harness modifications.
                    NASA HPDE Instructor

Comment

The Haltech is the unit I was looking at and iirc the headers dont always clear the steering shaft and I'm not sure notching them is exactly the best option so it might be more than just a Y-Pipe. The weight distribution would be worth it though. 70lbs more than the KA with most of that in the tranny would make it easy to achieve 50/50 weight distribution.

Comment

I still don't understand why you can't send a VQ ECU out to have the security chit removed like you can with a LS ECU.

IMO, that's a major FAILure of the VQ option. That, and it has 1.8 fewer liters. Honestly though, I could see sticking to classing restrictions if it meant being more competitive. I'm not much of one for classing though...it's a major fun limiter.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Fass240us View Post
                          I still don't understand why you can't send a VQ ECU out to have the security chit removed like you can with a LS ECU.
                          Techosquare may be able to remove it but you'd have to ask.

The NATS immobilizer is a big plus for a street driven car in my opinion.

Unnecessary in a track car obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Umai Kakudo View Post
                            Techosquare may be able to remove it but you'd have to ask.

The NATS immobilizer is a big plus for a street driven car in my opinion.
                            Isn't the NATS what keeps you from being able to use the VQ ECU?

Comment

NATS is the factory immobilizer system for Nissan.

When using the factory ECU in swaps you wire in the ECU, BCM (body control module that houses the NATS) and the NATS antenna mounted on the ignition switch that reads the RFID chip in the compatible key.

This allows NATS to function properly and the OEM ECU to be used in swaps.

Comment

Is it possible to swap all that stuff into a S-chassis? What else is in the BCM?

Comment

Working...
                                X