LS1 vs VQ35

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Def View Post
    I'd imagine the trans bell housings are significantly different. They usually are between FWD/RWD blocks.

If you're doing a cheap swap and not afraid of some junkyard fab, why not put in a VH45DE? They're cheap, and you could probably get a VG manual trans adapted to one with some work (maybe cut and weld two bell housings?). Or hell, even a S chassis trans will work if you cut and weld the bell housings. Just don't drag launch the thing too much, but for road course usage it should be fine forever at ~260-280 rwhp.
    Interesting. I see you keep plugging that engine in this thread. I was avoiding V8's for fuel efficiency, but I definitely have to consider that thing. RWD orientation is a big plus for sure and it seems like they are similarly priced as a VQ. But, man, that thing is a behemoth, at least spatially. Wonder about the weight penalty.

And, most importantly, reliability in its stock form. The KA has been great so far. Those VQ30DE's are known to go on forever as well. And also parts. Is there any support for that thing?
    Core4 Motorsports
    CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
    S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

• Originally posted by maxtherabbit View Post
      I'm actually looking into doing just that for my S13, people are making adapter plates for the KA trans for ~400

I don't know how fitment is going to be however, anyone on this site done a VH?
      source for adapter plates?

Would like to know about other VH swappers as well...
      Core4 Motorsports

Comment

• http://collinsadapters.com/index.php...ter-plate.html

just something I found on google, I can't vouch for it

Comment

• the 350z trans (non-HR) bolts on to fwd VQ's but you will need the upper and lower oil pan from a vq35 and nismo 350z flywheel. I have a VQ30DET in my coupe, not a fwd block but it all has the same bell housing pattern

Comment

• Originally posted by db_s13 View Post
            the 350z trans (non-HR) bolts on to fwd VQ's but you will need the upper and lower oil pan from a vq35 and nismo 350z flywheel. I have a VQ30DET in my coupe, not a fwd block but it all has the same bell housing pattern
            Nice! Please do share more info/specs on your build if you don't mind.
            Core4 Motorsports

Comment

• hx40 pro, precision 46mm WG, RPS clutch, JWT flywheel, 350z 6mt, custom turbo manifolds, self made mounts, and soon to be AEM infinty 8H or MS3-pro
              Last edited by db_s13; 02-28-2015, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gills View Post
                source for adapter plates?

Would like to know about other VH swappers as well...
                dat intake so tall, not being able to run a strut tower bar would be a deal killer for me

Comment

hx40 pro, precision 46mm WG, RPS clutch, JWT flywheel, 350z 6mt, custom turbo manifolds, self made mounts, and soon to be AEM infinty 8H
                  Pictures man! Share them if you have them/want to.
                  Core4 Motorsports

Comment

• For anyone interested in V8 powered S-chassis, check out v8nissans.com. I haven't been on it in awhile, but there's probably some good info on there.
                    '79 Datsun 280ZX-Awaiting the day I decide to actually work on it.
                    '05 Nissan 350Z Track-Weekend/track duties. Gets some of the the attention the 280ZX doesn't.
                    '08 Toyota Tundra-Daily/tow rig.

Comment

• Originally posted by S130 View Post
                      For anyone interested in V8 powered S-chassis, check out v8nissans.com. I haven't been on it in awhile, but there's probably some good info on there.
                      there's a thread on there with a newer q45 vk45de in 240 swap that caught my eye

Comment

• btw does a ka24 trans bolt up to the vq35de?

Comment

• the ka trans does not bolt up.

You will also need to shorten the shifter bracket or buy a piece like this one when use the VQ trans

and shorten the linkage

before this motor i had a rb20 and the front end sits up about 1.5"-2" higher now with the vq30

Comment

the ka trans does not bolt up.
                            that's what I thought originally, but that VH45 adapter plate says it's compatible with VQ trans and KA trans so I was like wut

are you able to get a strut bar over your vq?

Comment

• i have not tried a strut bar but the only way id imagine one working out is to have a bias to the front of the car.

That adapter is for a vh block (vk45 has the same pattern) and has KA,300zx, 350z and 370z transmission patterns drilled. Thats why it looks like Swiss cheese

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HasMGPMXmno

Comment

Working...
                                X