Rebuild now no start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild now no start

Alright guys, So I have a 91 dual cam. Just did head gasket as well as all supporting gaskets. I delete emissions, so no swirl control, butterfly valves, etc. When I parked it the car would start right up. Now after the rebuild it does not.

So normally you check for fuel and spark. Both of which I have. When cylinder one is at TDC the rotor on the distributor points to cylinder one. Pulled the fuel line and the fuel pump is indeed pumping fuel. Pull the plugs and they are wet from fuel. So the problem doesnt lie there. I am now at a loss as to what it could be.

Today I pulled the front cover and re set the timing. Upper and lower. All the marks are spot on(can provide pictures). The cams point at 9 and 3 at TDC. So the problem doesnt lie there.

I am in need of help at this point. I dont know where to check next. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Check for spark.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Spark is good. Already checked on all 4 cylinders.

Comment

Your cam/ignition timing has to be off then.

Fuel + spark at the right time = run

Comment

Did you delete your Idle air control valve? If so crack the throttle plate with the alan screw on the TB

Comment

Any ECU error codes?

Comment

9 times out of 10, it's ignition timing.

I'll bet you're 180-degrees out...or just one tooth off.

It's easier to check/test/try than other options...so play with the distributor some. Move it one tooth CCW, see if there's any difference.

I cannot tel you how many time over the years we've seen a similar thread, and it's almost ALWAYS ignition timing. KA24DE distributors are such a pain to reinstall *just right*.

Good luck.

- Brian
              '96 240SX | KA-T - 320rwhp @ 12psi | ~2700lbs
              Koni 8611 & GC's - 600/450 | RPF1's - 17x9.5

Comment

turn to TDC.
                Yank Dizzy out, hold everything in position.
                turn crank 360*
                reinstall dizzy

try to start.
                Originally posted by SoSideways
                I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Listen to what everyone is telling you. I went through this as well with the dizzy off one tooth. It did actually start once but the timing was so retarded that my headers turned Formula 1 red. FUN!

I'll add something different just because: make sure your ECU harness is plugged in all the way. There's a little indicator (red square thingy) on the ECU side that needs to be flush with the back side of the harness plug (something along those lines). I didn't tighten the 10mm screw enough without realizing and it caused all sorts of issues.
                  Core4 Motorsports
                  CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
                  S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

Also check you have all your grounds reinstalled. Not sure why, but people seem to forget them.

Comment

Two grounds on the intake manifold and two grounds on the driver side of the head. All are on.

Ecu is plugged all the way in. I'll pull my distributor and do the 360 and see where that leaves me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If the timing chain matches up with both cams and the crank and the distributor point at #1 (or maybe a hair past) I wouldn't think that you would have cam and distributor 180 degree out of phase problem.

Comment

you wouldn't think so, but I've swapped a handful of dizzy engines and probably 80% of the time I have to pull the dizzy and turn the engine over once.
                          Originally posted by SoSideways
                          I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                          '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I usually pull spark plug number 1 and rotate the engine with my thumb over the spark plug hole to make sure that I am on the compression stroke.

Comment

When I let off cranking it fires once or twice. That indicates I'm on the exhaust stroke correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X