• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Na ka24de input for datsun 510

Ok so Iam looking for a little input on building a na ka24de for my
    Datsun 510. Iam wanting to run some racehead itb's with a
    Custom built intake manifold not sure about cams yet thinking
    Of pdm cams or some Jim wolf cams need a little help here
    I want to have the intake and exhaust ports ported.
    For the bottom end Iam thinking of ka24e pistons and some
    Eagle forged rods I only want 10:1 compression because I only
    Want to run pump gas Iam gonna have the crankshaft balanced and
    Knife edged and Iam gonna get an ati dampner and for tuning Iam
    Thinking aem ems and some LS1 coil packs if I hit 200whp that would be
    Awesome I just want to build a fun reliable motor to take on
    Fun runs and drive to car shows. Any help or info would be very
    Much appreciated thanks in advanced eric

Spending that much money on an NA Nissan engine... what about an NA RWD SR20DE (dirt cheap) with a VE head on it? Or with the talk of $$$ head work and forged rods/pistons, you can punch it out to a 2.1 L o stock sleeves and run 11:1 (still on pump gas) and make about 220-240 whp. No way you'll match that with a KA build that'll run on pump gas and last any length of time.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

A KA with -e pistons, intake manifold, proper header, cams, and a proper ECU will put down 200whp and have torque too.
      In a 510, that will be enough power to get you in trouble pretty quick.

I wouldn't waste your time with ITBs.. it shifts the power band so high on a KA that it ruins what good the engine has..
      Originally posted by SoSideways
      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I don't think it's that easy... 240TTC had to mess around quite a bit to get his to 200 rwhp and the powerband was a little wonky due to the harmonic timing of the manifolds.

An SR20VE will easily outpower anything the KA can do. It can rev to the moon which the KA will never do, and it easily has more head flow.

Comment

getting the flow out of a KA head is an uphill battle. I would go with the DE w/VE head as per DEF's Suggestion, Especially if 200 WHP is an actual goal. a KA with enough cam to make 200whp is gonna hve ****ty TQ down low when you compare it to the 2 cam profiles of a VE setup
          I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Originally posted by Tower240sx View Post
            getting the flow out of a KA head is an uphill battle. I would go with the DE w/VE head as per DEF's Suggestion, Especially if 200 WHP is an actual goal. a KA with enough cam to make 200whp is gonna hve ****ty TQ down low when you compare it to the 2 cam profiles of a VE setup
            And this guy used to be a ridiculous KA fanboy.

I think a KA's internal friction is also a major power robber as well. There's a reason a "high power" KA isn't kind to its bearings or scuff surfaces even though it's making about 80-85 rwhp/L.

Comment

Thanks for the input. My reason for the forged
              Rods is that I already have them bought them from a friend
              For a good price. I already have a ka complete swap and a spare
              Complete long block that's the block Iam gonna build. Also I like
              The fact that I can walk into my local parts store and get parts for the ka
              I also just wanted to do something a little different. The ve head on a na sr sounds pretty cool I just want to stay away from a turbo sr because everyone and their mother has a turbo 510 with a sr

Comment

Once you make 200 rwhp on a KA, there probably aren't a ton of parts that'd you'd be able to replace with parts store parts. And you do realize the FWD SR20DE shares almost all parts that you'd ever buy locally with a RWD SR and/or VE.

But you seem to be set on the KA, and it should get to 200 rwhp if you fiddle with it a lot. Should move nicely in a 510.

Comment

Dad did a $1500 KA build a couple months ago and made 180whp using factory rods, KA24E pistons, ebay header and intake, and Nistune on 91 octane.

Use a proper header (will have to be custom for the car, so you might as well do it right anyway), get a decent intake manifold, tune the intake, and I can easily see 200whp on pump gas, whether Def thinks it's doable or not. :P
                  '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Could happen, but another 10% power NA and keeping a good powerband is not easy with bolt-ons/manifolds.

That sounds like a lot of power on a dynojet with stock cams though. Was that on a Mustang or Dynapack dyno? In which case that sounds about right (i.e. about 160-170 rwhp Dynojet).

Comment

Err, I missed that part. He's got the big Crower cams in it too. It was on a Dynojet.
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Important part.

Makes sense. But I still think that last 20 rwhp would not be that easy to get. Possible yes, but the Nistune will do everything a standalone can do for eeking out power. Not sure why you think that would hold it back.

Your header and intake manifold changes are just going to be changing the harmonic peaks for narrow VE enhancements. That's A LOT of VE enhancement up top where your head flow is going to start really limiting you.

Comment

At this point in development, head work is relatively cheap. Send the head to the right shop that knows what they're doing (Rebello quickly comes to mind), and the proper header is worth 15hp over an ebay one. yes, seriously. seen the before and after with a KA-E with a Burns design header over a HotShot..

I'm not knocking the SR by any means, but I believe you underestimate the potential of the KA..
                          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I'm not saying it can't do it. But at some point you run into diminishing gains when it comes to NA power.

Sure head work will really help a KA.

But at the same time a stock VE head will do over 240 whp. At some point you're going to have to start doing everything different on the KA to make small gains.

Just to illustrate the point, the SR16VE N1, which is basically a 1.6L SR with VE head and big factory cams out powers a stock KA by over 30 HP while having 800 cc less displacement. That's a pretty stark difference on just how much headroom is left in each design when you throw more displacement at the SR.

Comment

Agreed. However, you're still in the 'big gains' department to get 200whp on a KA with pump gas- and an SR for that matter. The problem is that most people don't consider minor headwork, proper header design, and a decent intake manifold as minor things.

The old Speedworld Challenge cars from 2000 were putting down 215whp with essentially that much work and a stock intake manifold and throttle body.
                              http://blehmco.com/stuff/nissan%20240SX%20VTS.pdf
                              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Working...
                              X