Wolf C78 cams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf C78 cams

I have been looking at the c78 cams and wondering is anybody running these now? I am looking to build a new motor for next year and starting parts list.

Are you turbo or NA?

Thats alot of duration for a Turbo motor, especially since the KA doesn't want to live above 8k.
    I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Sorry been away for awhile. I have a NA motor. I have a ported head with big valves. I've been collecting parts for a new motor for awhile. Parts list to date.
      Block parts
      BC 2.6 crank sent to be lighten and knife-edged.
      Carillo rods
      Calico coated bearings
      JE Pistons (haven't ordered yet-compression ratio?)
      ARP main and head studs
      ARE drysump pan

I am interested ideas on oiling system set up for drysump. Do I need any oil galley mod's. I have a old block that I took the plug out of the back to test fit oil squirters. I machine them down if they protrude into the oil galley. Is the size of the oil galley and feed from oil filter sized correctly. Where should I feed oil to the block from? Should I use the windage tray w/scraper or just use scraper with drysump. On our V8's we only use scraper.

What are ideas for compression ratio. I am running 12.5 compression now. I am thinking of switching to E85 My EFI tuner say's E85 will make a little more power and help engine run cooler. Running cooler sounds good. E85 is cheaper too. I have a set of 440 cc injectors on shelf. I think stock 370 injectors will flow enough. They say to run more compression and timing on E85. Any thoughts? I plan to race a couple one hour enduros plus sprint races so I need to keep durability in mind.

What size head gaskets should be used? What are max/min clearance in the squinch area? I have been using .040 cometic gaskets. I have been running deck at .005 in the hole. I haven't seen any signs of detonation, but I have kept timing maps conservative.

All comments welcome.

Comment

A 2.6L KA is going to have piston speeds out the waazoo where those cams really come into their own... I doubt it'd hold together very long for an enduro type motor.

As for E85, get some 525 cc STi yellow side feeds for a cheap injector that'll do enough flow with E85 and keep the duty cycles down. 440 cc injectors probably won't be big enough, and 370 cc injectors definitely won't. You need about a 25-30% bigger injector on E85. If you actually make strong power on that thing you'd need 370 cc injectors to be happy with the IDC on E10, so the 440's won't be big enough IMO.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

The ARE dry sump pan for the KA24E fits the DE???????

Comment

A KA is a KA in that regard. I know some people that have build a KA-E out of a KA-DE block w/ ARE pan and bolted the head on and whatnot. The front timing covers don't bolt right on, but otherwise almost everything bolts up the same.

So yes, the ARE pan should fit both E and DE.
            Originally posted by SoSideways
            I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
            '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

The timing cover area is totally different.

I have a feeling this is a hypothetical build...

Comment

Yeah, I'm not sure what all had to be done to fit the -E covers onto the DE block, but I know it's been done. (The DE block is a bit stiffer than the E, and they were going for max block stiffness to prevent rod/crank failure.)
                Originally posted by SoSideways
                I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

thx for the info

Comment

No it's not a hypothetical build, I have been collecting parts for a while. My race motor broke so I have to start now. I value everyone's opinion and experience. Not sure about the BC crank. Mean piston speed is very high, 25.5 m/s at 7500 vs 24. m/s for stock crank. I think the C78 cams will pull to that kind of RPM.

Comment

25.5 m/sec sounds... difficult to keep together for an enduro engine.

I'm sure the cams will make power up there, the other question is will the bottom end stay together up there.

Comment

Yes, that's what I am starting to think. I was looking at the BC crank because it's full counter weight crank. I traded some parts for this crank, so I don't have much money in it. Which would be better, stock and C78 cams, or shorter duration cams and keep RPM down below 7200. Stock stroke at 7500 is still 24 m/s. Still not a great number.

Comment

The general advice of some of the KA guys here is keep it below 7200 and/or put a good damper on it if you want the thing to survive.

I would think one of the hotter off the shelf KA grinds that's a little less rowdy than the C78 cams would probably do just fine and not hold the engine back.

Comment

you'll get lope with the C78. It's really an all out stage 3 type cam. bc cranks come with stock stroke also. u don't have to get the stroker one

nvm. u already have it

Comment

I'd run the stroker and keep the revs around 7000-7200 with a cam that will work there personally.

Comment

Working...
                              X