Turbo upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo upgrade

I was wondering if I could get some advice. I have an S14 sr20det with bolt-ons (intercooler, Z32 MAF, 555 injectors, 3" exhaust, 287rwhp) and currently have a leak between the exhaust manifold and turbo, so I thought I might as well upgrade the stock T28 turbo while I'm at it. I road track my car and am always fighting overheating. I'm not sure if a turbo upgrade could help with that or at least not make it worse?? I have the ability to keep my afr at 11.8 under boost (12psi), but plan on doing a full tune with AEM V2 at some point. More power would be nice without adding any more heat, and of course I'm looking for area under the curve vs peak hp for road course application. Also looking for a simple bolt-in affair. GT2871R seems popular and a good value. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    https://frsport.com/garrett-gt2871r-...-ar-turbo-full

Thanks!

RalliartRSX has put a 6758 EFR on a stock manifold - it's a *much* better turbo than a GT2871R, which is 15 years old tech now (actually 25 years old on the turbine side).

For overheating, get a Koyo N-flo radiator and a good oil cooler. Vent the hood and you're good to go.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Hey thanks! Wasn't aware of that option.
      I've done all the standard cooling tricks (radiator, oil cooler, oil pan). My car had a gigantic intercooler when I bought it. I'm thinking of going to a smaller one to open up air to the radiator though. I've vented the hood and may open also open up the bumper (S14 kouki) a bit more for airflow.

Comment

I've read much of Ralliart's posts here and on zilvia. He didn't seem totally sold on adapting the 6758 EFR tot the SR20DET. I'm leaning toward the more "drop in" GTX2867R or GT2871R.

Comment

Hello

I am sold on the swap actually! I just prefer top mount for my particular needs.

In all honesty, the only issues are easily remedied over the course of a few hours. Also, if you get a manifold with an external gate, even better.
          Issues
          1) Coolant port between the block and the right turbo coolant inlet (easy actually)
          2) Having to install turbo without compressor housing for ease of accessibility (easy)
          3) Turbo inlet/outlet (those are easy)
          4) Making sure the internal gat fits.
          5) If using nismo mounts, having to clearance the "fence"

All those issues are non issues. My major problem was trying to penny pinch and use whatever I found in the basement. I should have went in with the mindset, this is not a common swap so there would be some required expenditure. But at the end of the day, I would go with an EFR on a stock manifold over any GTX any day or the week, any week of the year.

Comment

RalliartRsX
            Sorry - didn't mean to misrepresent you. But for my situation, I'm still looking for a simpler install.

Comment

Just get a GTX2867R then. 0.64 A/R housing.

Then feel the pain if you ever start really pushing the car on track of the M8 studs being totally insufficient to hold things together when driving the balls off the car...
              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                Just get a GTX2867R then. 0.64 A/R housing.

Then feel the pain if you ever start really pushing the car on track of the M8 studs being totally insufficient to hold things together when driving the balls off the car...
                Funny you should mention that........

Comment

Working...
                X