Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Core4 Front Radial Mount Bracket for Defsport/Z33 & Rear BBK...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gills View Post
    So you're offering all this stuff, does that mean you'd buy a rear kit if it works with a FSL4?
    That would be the plan.. not ready to buy right now, but if it means forward progress I can send the parts and let you get to work. I'm 98% decided on selling the RX and keeping the 240, so this would be something I do this summer when I get the car back on track. I need to rebuild/replace the brake pedal assembly, so I'll have the hydraulics all apart anyway. I might as well get this done at the same time.

I would prefer to be able to use the 11.75 or 12.6" rotors of which I have a plethora, but see what you can put together and we can go from there.

Shoot me a PM with your address and we can discuss my $1 discount on finished product.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Here's the rear BBK inside a standard Z32 wheel (16x7.5) (thank you, clotuning) with a 10mm spacer. Needs a spacer, but the most important part is that it fits inside the ID no problem. It's a go...

Core4 Motorsports
      CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
      S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

I just put the front and rear Core4 set on my car. Here’s my review

Install review:

Install for the front setup is pretty straight forward. For the rear, the installation instructions are pretty good and the CAD exploded view is a nice added touch. Pay attention to the photos of the rear assembly in the original post (mount the caliper to the bracket then mount the bracket to the hub), however, because I installed the brake system in every way except the right way the first few times around.

First impressions on Track:

Ran a shakedown of the new car setup this past weekend (Oregon Raceway Park). The clockwise direction on track puts a good amount of load on the braking system as there are multiple sections which require downhill braking, some of which go from high speed to low speed. Vehicle balance should be light in the rear on downhill with heavy front end loading to test rear balance.

Braking confidence is improved substantially. My previous setup was a 15/16” Z32 BMC with Z32 30mm Aluminum fronts and S14 stock rears paired with Hawk blue pads all around. The old brake setup felt imbalanced with strong bias to the front. It made braking down hills very difficult and a gamble since the difference in pedal pressure for threshold to lock-up was very slight. This can be attributed in part to the booster and master change, however, the increase in front and rear size helped tremendously as well. A friend of mine hopped behind the wheel for a few laps and had the same comments about driver confidence. For reference, he drives a mk7 GTI with golf R brakes and contemporary ABS on Maxxis RC1 tires and Carbotech XP12 brake pads.

Brake performance across 25-30 minute sessions showed good consistency. No excessive fade and pedal feel was reliable. Brake balance was good with no rear lockup at threshold even on the downhill sections. Trail braking seems to be easier to do with this new rear setup. The new brake setup allows the front to pivot under trail braking, instead of the usual characteristic where the vehicle has a tendency to pull straight on threshold braking. It can be helpful for getting out of hairy situations where corner entry speed is too high.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LzvEKjS6YRM

You can see this pivot characteristic and brake balance at 31 seconds in a downhill braking section (~100 – 40 mph) and at 1:01 (90 – 40 mph). At 1:25, you can see where the brake system is still slightly forward biased. The locked up front driver side tire causes some amount of rotation but the rest of the braking system is able to slow the car down enough to make the corner negotiable with the one dragging tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGbdctRyWLY

In this, you can see me clearly missing the braking zone entering the corner. I was heavy on the brakes at the 100 ft mark and begin to let off when I felt the car rotate once I realized I missed the turn-in. It’s impressive because the previous setup would have taken me straight off the track instead of allowing me enough rotation to scrub some speed on tarmac.

Overall, I’ve been super pleased with this braking setup. It’s the best bang for your buck for a 6 piston/4 piston BBK front and rear by far and the rear setup offers a solution to rear brake balance which is something I think is overlooked all too often.

For anyone curious, this is my setup:

Chassis/Motor:
        96 S14
        Non-ABS
        Tube front with power brace
        VQ35HR
        Koni 8611 w/ 12k/9k
        Gktech front LCA
        PBM Super Angle front spindles
        Z32 alum rear spindles
        18x10.5 w/ 265 Maxxis RC1
        Cusco RS 1.5 way LSD @ 60%/30%

Brake-related setup:
        Shimmed 17/16” Z32 BMC
        B13 1.6 non-abs brake booster
        Core4 front/rear brackets
        Defsport 12.2” front rotor hat/wilwood rotor
        Core4 rear rotor hat/wilwood rotor
        Hawk DTC60 all around
        Last edited by Stealthyfish; 03-20-2018, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Just throwing this out there. Gills has a rear brake option for gktech rear uprights. I'd like him to move it to the forefront of priorities because I need these brakes in my life, just need to find interest to make it worth his time. Would anyone else be interested if he pulls the trigger on this? It also gives an option to have an e-brake as the gktech has dual caliper mounts (although it would be hydro e-brake.) Also, keep in mind all the benefits of going gktech, way better option than z32 uprights. I think it's money well spent all the way around!

Comment

Here's the rear BBK inside a standard Z32 wheel (16x7.5) (thank you, clotuning) with a 10mm spacer. Needs a spacer, but the most important part is that it fits inside the ID no problem. It's a go...

The wheel specs for the twin turbo wheels are as follows:
            Front: 16 x 7.5 45mm Offset
            Rear: 16 x 8.5 35mm Offset

I have a set of the rear wheels. So those should clear, without a spacer, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ethompson6 View Post
              The wheel specs for the twin turbo wheels are as follows:
              Front: 16 x 7.5 45mm Offset
              Rear: 16 x 8.5 35mm Offset

I have a set of the rear wheels. So those should clear, without a spacer, right?
              Yes, should be good. You gain a theoretical extra (0.5" + 10mm) = 0.894" (22.7mm) of clearance between the two.
              Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Pencil me in for front and rear brackets ONLY, please. Assuming the rear brackets fit the o.g. defsport hats? I'm starting an S13 enduro build.

Comment

Jason, good to see you here bud! Where have you been all this time??

Comment

Originally posted by Jason M View Post
                    Pencil me in for front and rear brackets ONLY, please. Assuming the rear brackets fit the o.g. defsport hats? I'm starting an S13 enduro build.
                    Hey Jason, nice to see you on here and nice to read that you're making the endurance plunge! What series you plan on running in?

As for the o.g. defsport hats, I had no clue that he made rear hats at any point in time, so I'd say that I'm 99% sure they won't fit. Does that change your want or need?
                    Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Gills,

I just read through your build thread. Thanks for sharing!

Lucky Dog has the most local events, but we also have Chump car. I helped build twin Sentra SER's last year for Lemons. I only drove once, but I'm hooked.

I have two sets of front Defsport hats floating around. Will those fit in the rear with your brackets or???? I have tons of stuff lying around, so likely will just need to purchase brackets and other proprietary pieces from yourself.

I'm thinking 12.25" rotors front and rear for the initial voyage. Eventually I'll run the bigger fronts. Wheels will likely be 17x10-17x11 (17" to keep the tire and wheel costs affordable for the team) with 255-295mm tires. Thinking 255 Hankook RS4's for now. Still planning out the build...

RalliartRSX,

I started my own automotive/performance shop/business. Goal is to enable building more racecars...
                      Last edited by Jason M; 03-27-2018, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Jason yeah I saw that. Glad things are working out!

Hows the S13?? Any update??

Comment

Originally posted by Jason M View Post
                          Gills,

I just read through your build thread. Thanks for sharing!

Lucky Dog has the most local events, but we also have Chump car. I helped build twin Sentra SER's last year for Lemons. I only drove once, but I'm hooked.

I have two sets of front Defsport hats floating around. Will those fit in the rear with your brackets or???? I have tons of stuff lying around, so likely will just need to purchase brackets and other proprietary pieces from yourself.

I'm thinking 12.25" rotors front and rear for the initial voyage. Eventually I'll run the bigger fronts. Wheels will likely be 17x10-17x11 (17" to keep the tire and wheel costs affordable for the team) with 255-295mm tires. Thinking 255 Hankook RS4's for now. Still planning out the build...
                          Oh yes, the hook is real! lol. That's great. You've probably already realized the $/lap ratio this type of racing provides.

So, the defsport hats have too much offset to work in the rear. I had to make proprietary hats with very low offset in order for the Wilwood caliper to clear the OEM caliper mounting ears without cutting them off. They also only work on S1x/Z32 uprights, nothing aftermarket.

You'll be fine with the 12.2" rotors front (1.25" wide) to rear (0.81" wide). That's what I run with same pad compounds front and rear and I don't run brake ducting. The biggest negative to upsizing to the 12.76" rotor on the front is that they're more than $100 more expensive than the 12.2" rotor.

But, yea, only thing I provide is the brackets, hats, brake lines (rear only), and hardware to mount everything. The calipers, rotors, and pads are all on the buyer.

As for wheel sizing, definitely a good idea to stick with 17". I haven't run RS4's yet, but many guys hate 'em in AER and complain of lack of grip/feeling like bricks, although wear was commendable. So far I've used Falkens RT615K+ and now I bought 2 sets of closeout on the original RT615K's, which have been very good so far. Wearing like iron, very predictable, just about as fast as Dunlops ZII's. The +'s wear faster though. Also keep in mind that Dunlop ZII's are on closeout and the new ZIII was just released.

Anyway, let me know what you would like to do.

-Tom
                          Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Real close to pulling the trigger if still available.

Comment

Originally posted by 513s13 View Post
                              Real close to pulling the trigger if still available.
                              PM sent.
                              Core4 Motorsports

Comment

PM sent.
                                PM sent

Comment

Working...
                                X