Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Core4 Front Radial Mount Bracket for Defsport/Z33 & Rear BBK...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would probably be cheaper just to use wilwood rotors. They can be sourced locally, but are usually cheaper just to get from summit.

I thought that might be the case with the factory rotors.

Might be just as easy/cheap to use a hydraulic handbrake for those that want one?
    S13 Race car, 310 rwkw, Lakeside 55.5, Queensland Raceway Sprint 56.69, QR National 1:17.1
    Sam Collins Motorsport Facebook
    My youtube channel
    S13 Race car build

Comment

Originally posted by sc s15 View Post
      Would probably be cheaper just to use wilwood rotors. They can be sourced locally, but are usually cheaper just to get from summit.

I thought that might be the case with the factory rotors.

Might be just as easy/cheap to use a hydraulic handbrake for those that want one?
      Yea, people can tee in a hydraulic brake for sure, which is fine for drifting I assume, but I wouldn't rely on that as a parking brake for a street car. Mechanical is the way to go.

So should I put you down for a rear kit?
      Core4 Motorsports
      CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
      S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

https://www.z1motorsports.com/brakes...rphn2rk02jfud1

While I applaud innovation, sometimes it's easier to stop reinventing the wheel.
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
          https://www.z1motorsports.com/brakes...rphn2rk02jfud1

While I applaud innovation, sometimes it's easier to stop reinventing the wheel.
          Definitely a nice rotor. That diameter rotor still won't get in you the clear of the mounting ears. Also, the offset will be an issue, at least with a Wilwood caliper. I suppose you can make a Z32 caliper work with that. Or are you sharing because there's ebrake functionality on them?
          Last edited by gills; 03-16-2018, 10:58 AM.
          Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Another questions I thought of, would these rear brakes fit under factory 300zx twin turbo wheels?

Comment

Originally posted by ethompson6 View Post
              Another questions I thought of, would these rear brakes fit under factory 300zx twin turbo wheels?
              Yes they should, but I haven't test fitted it myself. They almost fit inside the barrel of a 15x8 Rota Grid so I'm assuming the 16" Z32 should work. May need a spacer.
              Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Originally posted by gills View Post
                Definitely a nice rotor. That diameter rotor still won't get in you the clear of the mounting ears. Also, the offset will be an issue, at least with a Wilwood caliper. I suppose you can make a Z32 caliper work with that. Or are you sharing because there's ebrake functionality on them?
                Mostly because of the ebrake functionality.. they offer a complete kit for Z32 (and others) using the akebono calipers, which retains the factory parking brake.
                They're not a 'race' caliper, but it retains the parking brake and given how often you have to buy pads for the rears I don't think it's a huge problem..
                It's something to consider.

All that said, you might be able to flip the rotor backwards on the hat and have it shift away from centerline some to give you more room for the caliper and mounts.. ???
                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Mostly because of the ebrake functionality.. they offer a complete kit for Z32 (and others) using the akebono calipers, which retains the factory parking brake.
                  They're not a 'race' caliper, but it retains the parking brake and given how often you have to buy pads for the rears I don't think it's a huge problem..
                  It's something to consider.

All that said, you might be able to flip the rotor backwards on the hat and have it shift away from centerline some to give you more room for the caliper and mounts.. ???

Well, like you said, akebono calipers aren't racing calipers and I'm sure the pad selection is much less and cost is at least double the pad for the Forged Narrow Dynalite. Plus, not many of us want to run 12.7" rotor in the rear, right?

As for the rotor hat flip or in other words a negative hat offset, yes, I've contemplated it very much and it would work. Doing that method, you'd be able to fit a Forged Narrow SuperLite 4 piston radial mount, which is more rigid and "racey" caliper. It would also look baller yo! with FSL6R's on the front.

Who would be interested in that?
                  Core4 Motorsports

Comment

My car is a dual purpose car track and drag racing.
                    So for rear brakes I wanted something that is good for the track and will fit under the 300zx twin turbo wheels I have, that's what my drag radials are currently mounted on.

Comment

Originally posted by ethompson6 View Post
                      My car is a dual purpose car track and drag racing.
                      So for rear brakes I wanted something that is good for the track and will fit under the 300zx twin turbo wheels I have, that's what my drag radials are currently mounted on.
                      I'll be testing 300zx wheel fitment on Tuesday to double check for you if that's make or break for you.
                      Core4 Motorsports

Comment

As for the rotor hat flip or in other words a negative hat offset, yes, I've contemplated it very much and it would work. Doing that method, you'd be able to fit a Forged Narrow SuperLite 4 piston radial mount, which is more rigid and "racey" caliper. It would also look baller yo! with FSL6R's on the front.

Who would be interested in that?
                        The setup I had started on with mine was a FSL4 (lug mount) on the same 11.75" rotors I had up front. the small rotors and offsets of everything forced me to cut off the factory caliper mounting ears since the FSL4 ears needed to occupy the exact same space as the ears on the upright.
                        I cut off one set, and then quit messing with stuff since I didn't have anyone handy with a TIG to stick a piece of 3/8" plate back on for me. I don't figure it'll be hard, I just haven't gotten to it with anyone dumb enough to do the welding for me and not ask why so ghetto.

The 11.75" rear will do everything I need for braking so far.. I've seen much less brake on much faster cars. I'll probably keep going with that on rear setup just because I'm most of the way there on cost (only thing I need materially is a bit of alu flat bar and someone to do the welding. everything else is on the shelf. for the fronts, I'll probably do the FSL4R with your brackets since I have 4 piston max rule in STU...
                        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

The setup I had started on with mine was a FSL4 (lug mount) on the same 11.75" rotors I had up front. the small rotors and offsets of everything forced me to cut off the factory caliper mounting ears since the FSL4 ears needed to occupy the exact same space as the ears on the upright.
                          I cut off one set, and then quit messing with stuff since I didn't have anyone handy with a TIG to stick a piece of 3/8" plate back on for me. I don't figure it'll be hard, I just haven't gotten to it with anyone dumb enough to do the welding for me and not ask why so ghetto.

The 11.75" rear will do everything I need for braking so far.. I've seen much less brake on much faster cars. I'll probably keep going with that on rear setup just because I'm most of the way there on cost (only thing I need materially is a bit of alu flat bar and someone to do the welding. everything else is on the shelf. for the fronts, I'll probably do the FSL4R with your brackets since I have 4 piston max rule in STU...
                          Yea, not having to chop and weld is one of the major selling points of my kit. And a FSL4 back there is more than likely overkill, but it certainly would look cool for those that are concerned with that also. The FNDL my kit uses is a great caliper for the rear, although having FSL's with the same pad all around would create a nice little recycling program too since I run the same compound front and rear.

With that said (and for those interested) I have a simple ebrake solution brewing at the moment that will use Z32 ebrake assemblies. And even though I was kind of joking, with this solution I'm almost positive that you can choose to run a FSL4 lug mount in the rear. Does this entice anyone?
                          Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Consider me enticed. I have a 300zx ebrake sitting here. Lol

Comment

With that said (and for those interested) I have a simple ebrake solution brewing at the moment that will use Z32 ebrake assemblies. And even though I was kind of joking, with this solution I'm almost positive that you can choose to run a FSL4 lug mount in the rear. Does this entice anyone?
                              I would prefer the FSL4 over the FNDL due to caliper stiffness. I used the "standard" forged dynalites on front applications previously, and wasn't happy with the caliper flex and pad taper. the problem won't be nearly as bad on a rear application, but still...

I like the FSL4 mostly because I already have them in the garage with proper tiny pistons If you'd like me to mail them to you for mockup, I'll be happy to. I even have a set of Z32 knuckles- ONE with ears cut off if you need a guinea pig to experiment with. also have a spare wheel bearing in my track spares, depending on timeframe.

I think I sold off all my Z32 ebrake stuff, so you'd have to cobble that back together for a trial.
                              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I would prefer the FSL4 over the FNDL due to caliper stiffness. I used the "standard" forged dynalites on front applications previously, and wasn't happy with the caliper flex and pad taper. the problem won't be nearly as bad on a rear application, but still...

I like the FSL4 mostly because I already have them in the garage with proper tiny pistons If you'd like me to mail them to you for mockup, I'll be happy to. I even have a set of Z32 knuckles- ONE with ears cut off if you need a guinea pig to experiment with. also have a spare wheel bearing in my track spares, depending on timeframe.

I think I sold off all my Z32 ebrake stuff, so you'd have to cobble that back together for a trial.
                                The biggest difference with the FNDL and the standard dynalites is that it's the lastest revision in the DL famlily and the only one that uses a bridge bolt, which should theoretically help stiffness. I don't think any DL belongs on the front axle of a front engined race car weighing over ~2200lbs.

The FSL4 also has more selection for piston sizes and rotor widths. It doesn't hurt that the lug mount center-center distance is the same as the FNDL I think I may take you up on that offer for the calipers. I have extra sets of knuckles so no worries.

So you're offering all this stuff, does that mean you'd buy a rear kit if it works with a FSL4?
                                Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Working...
                                X