Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DefSport Koni 861x Threaded Sleeves and Bracket GB!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DefSport Koni 861x Threaded Sleeves and Bracket GB!

Here's the official GB thread for the Koni 861x threaded sleeves and brackets designed and analyzed by me - DefSport.

Particulars:
    • Fits Koni 8611-1257 and 8610-1463 struts
    • External thread is M55x2 mm
    • Front strut bracket offers +/- 1.5 mm of adjustment on BOTH top and bottom holes and fitment for S13 or S14 spindles
    • Snap ring included
    • Gland nut is the Koni M48x1.5mm size (not included, Koni P/N 73.25.01.003.1)
    • You supply Koni 8611-1257 or 8610-1463 strut and Koni Gland nut (see above point) to complete sleeve/strut assembly

Pics:

Price:

$140/ea for each strut housing (minimum qty is 2).
    Shipping is a flat $20 for each shipment.

2 housings would be $140x2 + $20 = $300
    4 housings would be $140x4 + $20 = $580

A pair of front lower brackets will be $295
    Shipping is flat $15, or FREE if you purchase 4 housings above

2 housings + front brackets = $140x2 + $20ship + $295 + $15ship = $610
    4 housings + front brackets = $140x4 + $20ship + $295 = $875

Structural FEA has been conducted, and the lower bracket designed around a nearly infinite fatigue life for aluminum (peak stress is ~11-14 ksi in 6061-T6). Offset washers will help distribute bolt stress to the main bracket, and allow a great deal of camber adjustment without the slop of a slotted hole and subsequent higher bracket stress you get from torquing down a high strength steel bolt on aluminum that's roughly half its head area.

IMPORTANT BRACKET DEPOSIT NOTE

Due to the high capital cost of machining the brackets, I will need deposits for the initial GB to get these machined. These are non-refundable deposits that will partially offset the high initial cost of machining. This lets me offer high cost parts at a lower margin on a low volume production run.

The deposit cost per PAIR of front lower brackets is $150. This nets a final payment of $145 when they are in my hands and ready to ship.

There is no deposit for sleeves.

Please send deposits via paypal to jfannon@gmail.com. Note your user name and if it's for an S13 or S14. The deadline for ordering is August 7th, 11:59 PM Central Standard Time (gotta be precise!).
    Last edited by Def; 07-24-2015, 02:17 PM.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Put me down for 2 strut housings. Any idea for ETA after paying ?

Comment

Right now I'm getting deposits for the brackets, after that everything will kick off. I honestly don't know the ETA, other than I'd estimate about 6-10 weeks if my previous experience is anything to go by.

Comment

Ok, from what I can see, the pricing on the little bits is pretty high for what they are. Meaning the lock collars and spring perches. Obviously this replacement part purchasing gets kinda pricey when you're talking about buying enough for 4 sleeves.

So I'm considering getting it made myself and offering them as a package deal for 1 corner/sleeve. Stance's retail pricing for 2 lock collars and a spring perch is $87+shipping. I think I could get the same thing down to $50-60, as the spring perch would eliminate one of the lock collars by using a pinch lock bolt, which is a better design IMO.

I've been crunching numbers, and if we surpass about 15 lower bracket pairs, I think I can drop the price down to $275/pair. I think that's a reach goal, so we'll see how it goes.

Comment

weight compared to the one peice Veilside housings?

Comment

Likely very comparable, but this is far stronger and offers height adjustment at the spindle. This also fits the strut better with a tighter hold on the OD of the strut body.

This is especially useful if you're using drop knuckles, which are very common these days for our cars. The same fixed strut housing won't work between a stock and a drop knuckle/spindle.

Comment

Updated top list with some questions I've been having.

I will get pricing on spring perches and lower bracket lock collars. I'm not really enthusiastic at the stuff on the market for the price.

I will work with FRSport to get the commonly purchased stuff listed on their site as well. I have a dealer account with them, but I don't think I'll be able to offer enough of a pricing break/margin on my end to make it worth the time of dealing with yet another custom order and the logistics involved with that. I'll have my hands full with just this.

In fact, I might look into packaging it up into kits and having Amazon do the fufillment. They'll take a hefty chunk out, but at least then I can concentrate on doing what I do best, and that's not trying to run the logistics of fufilling orders all weekends with a crying baby in one arm!

Comment

Spring perch designed:

DefSport Analyzed as always:

Here's the lower bracket with the inserts. You can see what I mean by the slightly longer stack up distance of the assembly:

Comment

Paypal addy?

Ch

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by a250gpguy View Post
                    Paypal addy?

Ch

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
                    Bottom of first post!

Comment

Spring perch design looks great. What about doing the same to lock the bracket to the sleeve but obviously without the pilot for the spring? This is what loosens up on my coilovers all the time; both front and rear.
                      NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

I thought about it, but typically only one locking collar is used at the top of the coilover bracket, so it can always go the other way. Then you'd need 2 collars per sleeve if you have two of those.

The pilot bolt makes the design bigger than it'd otherwise be as well.

It's an option if there's much interest, but I don't know if with that design I can beat the price of readily available stuff much, and especially not if I add 1 extra bracket lock over the usual competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                          I thought about it, but typically only one locking collar is used at the top of the coilover bracket, so it can always go the other way. Then you'd need 2 collars per sleeve if you have two of those.

The pilot bolt makes the design bigger than it'd otherwise be as well.

It's an option if there's much interest, but I don't know if with that design I can beat the price of readily available stuff much, and especially not if I add 1 extra bracket lock over the usual competition.
                          I agree on pts above so better to keep it as originally planned.
                          NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

put me down for 4 sleeves.

as for the brackets: are the inserts also included? if not, how many people would be needed for those & how much?

perch looks pretty sweet, too.

Comment

I'm in for 4 sleeves and 2 brackets for S14, deposit sent.
                              ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                              ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Working...
                              X