Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know... I'm an idiot, but please allow me to explain (z32 brake calipers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...nevermind, just decided to go with the grease on O rings and seals. I could be wrong, but I don't believe brake fluid is a good lubricant or conditioner for rubber. Also, I'm almost positive that the 2 or 3 different greases the FSM specifies for these are all silicone-based.

"A pessimist thinks the glass is half-empty, an optimist thinks the glass is half-full, an engineer says that glass is twice as big as it needs to be"
    instagram:@cleantune ; Twitter: Cleantune@Cleantune2

Comment

How I feel reading this thread:

Comment

Generally orings are assembled with some kind of lubricant so that they don't twist or deform when they are squished into the seal groove. This ensures good seating of the orings and helps prevent damage to the orings during assembly. The grease itself isn't really providing any additional sealing, and usually doesnt sick around long anyway so if it is creating a seal it wont last. Its mostly just there to improve assembly. I wouldn't be too concerned with what you use as lubricant as long as it's compatible with the orings you are using.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell423 View Post
          Generally orings are assembled with some kind of lubricant so that they don't twist or deform when they are squished into the seal groove. This ensures good seating of the orings and helps prevent damage to the orings during assembly. The grease itself isn't really providing any additional sealing, and usually doesnt sick around long anyway so if it is creating a seal it wont last. Its mostly just there to improve assembly. I wouldn't be too concerned with what you use as lubricant as long as it's compatible with the orings you are using.
          What this guy said. And yes, blue Loctite is a good idea on fasteners like caliper half bolts.

And +1 to the Banderas gif.
          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
          X