Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updating a GA16DE powered B13 hillclimb car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    This was Tim just yesterday, shaking the car down at the spring Mt. Ascutney Hillclimb in Vermont. As you can see he cut the corner a bit tight, and launched the car onto two wheels!

    He's always trying to break stuff I build.....


    Comment


    • #17
      That's a fantastic picture! Ha ha

      www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
      96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

      Comment


      • #18
        Love the Duel Plenum Intake & all of the custom fabrication! Great project.
        First 300ZX to break 500whp on the Stock Turbo/Stock Long Block, boost only, no meth.
        Currently building sub-2800# 300zx Twin BW 6258 EFR, AMB Aero, TA-U & Road Race Car.

        Comment


        • #19
          So, the second hillclimb of the season for my friend Tim has come and gone, namely Mt. Okemo. The new Bilsteins were fitted for this event.

          Sadly, there was no time to wait for zinc plating of the strut bodies and the top mounts, so a thin coat of paint was shot onto these parts that might otherwise oxidize rapidly. There were a few fitment issues like brake hoses up front that were too short and rear camber issues, but otherwise everything fit up pretty well.

          As far as the performance of the struts, Tim said he didn't notice anything good or bad about them. However when other drivers approached and asked about how he was hitting a huge frost heave and other bumps without upsetting the car, Tim just said "what frost heave?". So yea, they pretty much soaked up whatever he threw at them.

          The biggest issue by far was the lack of negative camber in the rear (since remedied), and the rubbing of the rear tires in the fenders. This was partially due to the lack of camber, and also due the greater suspension articulation and travel.

          This weekend, I cut off the steel fender flares I made in 2014, and mini-tubbed the rear wheelwells. Tim then fitted some generic rivet-on urethane flares, which were wider and taller and allow for unimpeded wheel travel.


          Rear top mounts and spring hardware



          Front camber plates.





          Struts fully assembled, ready for pressurizing to 200 psi with nitrogen, and ready for 275 lb front springs and 225 lb rear springs with flat wire helper springs.


          Rear strut installed with springs.


          The car has has a bit more body roll perhaps but it has grip and is easy to drive fast. Soaks up high speed bumps with ease. This is at Mt. Okemo a week ago.

          Comment


          • #20
            So, on to the fender clearance issues. Friday afternoon I drove to Tim's house and started on the rear fender rework. The biggest contact issue with the B13 chassis is at the rear of the wheelwell opening. It has to do with the suspension geometry pushing the wheel backwards in the wheelwell as it travels upwards.


            Here I take my Kett shears to the steel flares I made previously. Oh well, easy come, easy go!



            At this point, I've already cut the outer fender nearly flush with the top of the stock wheelwell. The inner section that normally meets the outer fender was cut out entirely, and a new mini-tub about 4" wide was made. This was then welded to the outer fender at the cut line.



            Here you can see the fender cutout is basically flush with the top of the wheelwell. Tim slapped on a coat of POR-15 then covered that with Rustoleum yellow. Seams are seam-sealed to keep water and dirt out too.



            Before the flare goes on, you can see that the amount of droop he has compared to the Koni's is amazing!



            The car is definitely "jumpable" as it sits now!



            Down on the ground at regular ride height, with the rear flare riveted in place.

            Mount Washington is happening in just two weeks, wish Tim luck up the hill!

            Comment

            Working...
            X