2JRacing 200sx new track build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2JRacing 200sx new track build

We've, Joe Ippolito and myself, have been running a 2002 SE-R in NASA Time Trials since about 2008. Joe Ippolito ran it in SCCA the year before. I came on mid 2009 to tweak some more out of the car. At the time Joe already held track records at most of the tracks in the Southeast. After some minor chassis and suspension tweaking we pushed most of the track records 3-4 seconds deeper. Those TTE records should stand for quite a while. 2009 we won a NASA National Championship in TTE by a margin of over 2 seconds. We loved the 2.5, but we needed a little more, and despite my comfort zone with turbocharged QR25's we went a different route. You really can't rev a QR high enough for a real road race car once you take it to a certain level.

We decided to swap a Maxima VQ35DE into the Sentra chassis in the off season. We took our time and even though we missed the first several races of the season still managed 3rd in points in the region and never finished lower than 3rd on a race weekend. We ended up wiring it up to run off of a 350Z ECU so we could take advantage of the better base tuning, and to take advantage of tuning and compatibility with UpRev's Osiris software. The Sentra will be back for next season (2011) with a few areas addressed we didn't find the time to do last season. Mainly weight distribution, a little more track width, and the addition of a full cage..... we've really pushed the chassis past the pick kids up and go to the grocery store function it was designed for.

We (me mainly) got a little frustrated dealing with the classed rules of the TTF-TTA levels, so I decided we needed to do an unlimited build for 2012. Since we're Nissan dedicated, and even worse, FWD junkies, we only had a few viable options.

The B13 is was a good candidate, but we already have one and run it in Lemons, and, hate me if you will, I'm not a big SR20 fan....... I ran through the Nissan line up (and considered the budget) an found a deal on Craig's List for a 1995 200SX SE-R with some slight fire damage to the steering column due to an amateur wiring job. So $500 got landed us a great car.

Same wheel base and track width as our current 2002 SE-R, but, it's 7 inches shorter in length (think lower polar moment of inertia), about 400lbs lighter from the get go, 1 inch shorter, great windshield angle, and it's a 2 door, which gives plenty of room to mod the fenders for big tires, and more room for my fat ass to climb in and out.

The basic plan is to get the car with cage down to 2000lbs, maybe less. 949 6UL 15x9 wheels, 275/35/15 Hoosiers, Brian at Fastbrakes to work some magic on a brake setup, manual steering conversion, VQ35DE and possibly hybrid w/ revup heads, a 350Z ECU (revup if we go with a hybrid) with UpRev Osiris, 6 speed LSD trans, wide fenders, lexan all around, flat bottom conversion, a good bit of aero, and somewhere around 290whp (hp/wt limits in TTS are the only real rules), spherical bearings in place of bushings, 4-5" of track width, BC racing coilovers, and whatever else I think it needs.

Currently the car is a stripped out shell over at Northpoint Automotive getting a cage.

ETA on completion for the car is sometime in 2011 to run in the 2012 season.

The only pics I have are of a stripped out, dirty, shell.

What does a VQ swap wind up costing you guys?
    Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

rule #5, never keep a running total, lol.

If you did it smart and didn't go crazy, don't pay for labor, and have some ok skills and equipment, 2-3k. Once you go into the motor, it goes up.

We don't need A/C, any factory creature comforts, solid mounts are fine, etc. so we don't sweat that kind of stuff. We have Osiris tuner already, so for the cost of a license and an e-bay or 350zforum ECU, we pretty much have a standalone. Harnesses are around $200-400, axles, LSD trans $250-450, VQ bell housing $2ooish, cable shifter assembly (I'm using a Mitsu EVO MR 6 speed cable unit for this one....quality) $45 on the EVO forums, B15 spindles $50 at a salvage yard, used FWD VQ $500-900, and the list goes on.

You start building the motor and it goes up quick...... if I can do a revup head swap, I should get close to my power goals w/o going crazy.

Comment

VQ35 > SR20

The B13 might end up with a QR25 in it, we have all the stuff laying around.

Comment

2JRacing found an 06 Maxima VQ35 w/ 26k on it for $500. Going to pick it up tomorrow.

Comment

LOL sweet price
            Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

That's a crackhead price. I've been checking out FWD VQ35 prices lately for a little project I'd like to start in the far future.
              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

same salvage yard is has 6 up for sale for $500 a pop.... of course we want the one with 26,000 miles on it.

We're hoping they left most of the sensors on it.

Comment

I don't wanna be the one to ask the stupid question, but whats the RWD tax on a VQ these days?
                  '95 240sx

Comment

way more than a FWD..... You can run a FWD on a RWD ECU and get the same performance. I'd go the FWD bolted to a RWD trans and RWD ECU route and save some $$$. plus, I think a modded FWD intake manifold out performs any RWD intake manifold.

Comment

Any chance you can make a QR RWD without too much effort? If so, what's a reasonable power potential for it?
                      In my SCCA class, I've got to stay below 3L, and weight is based on displacement.
                      running the KA, I'm at 2640lbs. (1.1lb/cc). If I go to a VQ30, I'm at 3300lbs.
                      I'm trying to get the SR20DET legalized, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
                      Originally posted by SoSideways
                      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Big J View Post
                        same salvage yard is has 6 up for sale for $500 a pop.... of course we want the one with 26,000 miles on it.

We're hoping they left most of the sensors on it.
                        That's rediculous, considering I've sold VQ30's for 300-400 with harnesses LOL!
                        'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                        [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                        [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                          Any chance you can make a QR RWD without too much effort? If so, what's a reasonable power potential for it?
                          In my SCCA class, I've got to stay below 3L, and weight is based on displacement.
                          running the KA, I'm at 2640lbs. (1.1lb/cc). If I go to a VQ30, I'm at 3300lbs.
                          I'm trying to get the SR20DET legalized, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
                          Clark at JWT did one or was working on one for a 510 iirc. The starter mounting hole isn't there, but the room is there to machine one in.

The 2005+ frontier ran a RWD QR25 and a 5 speed manual.

I'm working on a motor for a friend....... SR20 crankshaft in a QR25 block for a 2.2L displacement that will rev 9,000 no problem...... think tall block, long rod, big bore, SR20.... with a way better cylinder head and valvetrain.......

Comment

I thought QRs had a valvetrain that did not lend itself to revving high. Lifters maybe?

Plus the block is pretty weak right?

Any dynos of high revving destroked QRs?
                            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

the QR is here to stay.

The block is fine. It's a split block design, like the HR. The cylinders are fine, the piston ring lands tend to be fragile if you run into detonation.

The valvetrain is the same as the VQ, cam on bucket. The newer QRs use the VQ buckets which are 9gms lighter. You can retrofit the newer buckets into the older QRs.

The headbolts are the same as the VK56.

My DD has a turbocharged QR. Been boosted for 55,000 miles, 90k total on the original bone stock motor. On 9psi with a 50 trim turbo the car puts down 315whp and 298wtq. I'll run 12psi every now and then, and it's dyno'd 360ish on race gas.

It's the 100mm stroke and short rod that keep the motors from revving.

No dynos of an NA destroked QR. The one I'm building is turbo. But, there is a 2.0L version overseas. The 2.0L pistons will drop into a 2.5 and bump the compression to 12.4:1. With an SR20 crank, the QR20 pistons would be right around 11:1. With some porting and aggressive cams, it would be a really good NA motor combination. It would easily outdo an SR20VE, and probably be good competition for a Honda H22 or K series with enough prep work.

Comment

Working...
                              X