Help me sabatoge my GF's P11

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me sabatoge my GF's P11

Found a P11 the other day on Autotrader and left work early to check it out. List of notables:

5speed
    Touring (VLSD!)
    92k miles

Got to the dealer and it was about as nice as any 10 year old car ('99's are 10 years old now... I feel so old). We drove it around a bit, and put some money down right as some guy came in to buy it (he'd looked at it the day before).

So, now my girlfriend has a P11. I do not believe in the lifestyle where you buy a car purely for transportation. It's going to be autocrossed in some way or another. It falls into the following classes:

- HS: Stock, can do shocks, R-comps on stock wheels, and a front sway.
    - STS: Bolt-ons and suspension work
    - FSP: Same as above but with R-comps

I'm thinking:
    STS: The dominant cars there are EF Civics that weigh about 2000 lbs (G20 is like 2800 race weight?). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, because changing tires sucks. Otherwise, it's probably too much weight and too little power, and too big a car.

HS: Those damn Minis just dominate. They're just as heavy IIRC, but just so small it doesn't matter. Stock spring on the G20 is just too soft to be competitive as well.

FSP: This is where non-vtec Civic EK and ups go. The dominant local cars are a Subaru Outback Impreza and a Lancer OZ Edition (and a Datsun 510 when it runs). I think it might have a chance if I can get 255's up front (Hoosier 255 wide 13's should be out soon). How big can I go before I have to cut/ bend stuff?

So, basics of what I need are: what tires can I fit, what shocks can I get (someone plz say the 30 series Konis will work!), and how light can these suckers get?
    Last edited by AceInHole; 05-29-2008, 05:13 AM.

I know a P10 running 30 series Koni's, so there isn't a problem there.=)

I haven't spent enough time with a P11 chassis trying to get weight out of it.
    Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

LOL! Modding/racing cars is a sickness and this thread proves it man! LOL! Hi-jacking your girls daily for autocross duty! You need help man! But so do I so it's OK! Is your girl at least gunna do the driving, or are you completely hi-jacking it? That would be pretty cool if she was gunna do at least some of the driving.
      function > form
      1990 240sx fastback: IN PROGRESS

Comment

I was tempted to do the same to my winter/family car I thought to myself... Koni yellows... swaybars, 13" hoosiers, strutbars, smaller race steering wheel, buckets, itbs on engine bunch of other crap then i was like what's wrong with me hahaha ... slapped myself on the wrist and said no to myself
        "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

Haha, I too want to do this. GF's current car is a turd though, so I have to convince her to get something better next time. Thinking like a Mazda 3 hatchback, something like that. Spacious/cheap/new-ish/"sporty"(?)

Regarding the P11, aren't they pretty heavy? I would just keep it really close to stock and try to force myself to improve my driving due to the slowness of the car.
          ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
          ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

I'm sure it'll be her driving the car, with PJ stealing the wheel every once in a while.
            Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Yea, definitely. If she drives his SM crazymobile, I'm sure the P11 will be a breeze.
              ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
              ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

This is Jenna at Englishtown (pink helmet!):

Her biggest problem right now is getting the car to the limit. The 240 is too easily over-driven or underdriven. I think a P11 STS car would be a good starting point for developing her skill-set, but I'm just hoping it'll be a fun enough car that she'll drive it instead of the 240 :P

It's gotta be done soon, too. Lately she's been figuring out what throttle-on oversteer is....
                Last edited by AceInHole; 05-30-2008, 07:22 AM.

Comment

STS should be a good starting point for her. I always like STS for the fact that I didn't have to do tire change over
                  -Monty

Comment

Uh oh, sounds like I've got some competition in STS on the horizon.

Comment

Here's the shigspeed koni yellow/GC setup...

http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread....eed+suspension
                      -Monty

Comment

For $190 shipped (he quoted me this today), this little FWD T25 setup would net you a good 220+ whp on the stock motor.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=183729
                        -Monty

Comment

Hmm... I'd still need fuel and more piping though...

Comment

370 injectors for about $70-80 fit in the stock fuel rail. Piping shouldn't be to hard, I've seen a few guys go without an IC, but I'm leary of that.
                            -Monty

Comment

STS would be the best bet. I say leave it close to stock save for a few bolt on's so if its daily driven the reliability is not compromised. With STS you can start small and dont have to jump into a set of 800-1000 dollar tires right away.

The turbo would be fun but would compromise the daily driven reliabilty thing (even if its just a bit).

The guy whom said playing with cars is a sickness is right, it took every fiber in my being to not autocross the wifes accord while my car was down but I decided cant screw up the family rig in anyway

Comment

Working...
                              X