Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know you are hard on your equipment when this happens......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know you are hard on your equipment when this happens......

Well, I had promised Andy we would be tracking the crap out of the car and putting tons of track miles (and we did and continue to do so) but after 60+ track days, 24k miles later, the rather unique setup in front of the p10 with that 3rd link took its toll on the AMR suspension. Andy said he's never seen anyone do this to his suspension in his entire career (go figure we manage to do this huh?) Anyway, I'm more thankful than ever that Andy stood behind his lifetime parts replacement warranty because we just installed the brand new replacements so we are ready to go another track day.

The bent ones are going back to Andy (as per warranty requirement) so he can test/study them accordingly.

Anyway, here are some fun photos of what happened in our case!

(Keep in mind we had used our own offset delrin upper control arm bushings --- offset to give us some negative camber in front)

- 1995 Infiniti G20t 5speed track beastie for PTF/TTF
    - 1994 Sentra sr20de soon to be PTF/PTE
    - 1995 240sx SE 5spd (fun summer car)

~ ABS and traction control are for people who can't drive

DOH!!!
    you need to remove the rubber up top and put a spherical in there. (unless there's one hiding under the rubber...)
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

That's because Andy is full of it and AMR is a joke.

Comment

What's the setup? Since you did the same thing to both sides, it seems more likely there's a design flaw.

Comment

That's not the first time some cheap Chinese/Taiwanese damper shaft has bent from normal suspension loads, won't be the last...
          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Dayam... That's pretty amazing considering the rear is a multi link meaning the load is shared with the rear upper camber arms, lower, arm, etc. Guess you got your usage out of 'em though!

Comment

the big issue I see- and it's just a guess from those pics- is that there's no upper spring perch/spherical bearing etc to allow the spring to pivot at the top of the assembly. It appears the spring is just sitting on the upper mount, which puts a ton of bending force on the shock assembly as the suspension goes through its range of motion and the bottom of the shock travels in an arc.

with no pivot up top, there's no chance in those shocks lasting terribly long.

Ran into that years ago when a "privateer" tried to design some camber plates for the Maxima. he didn't put any sort of pivot at the top and the threaded portion at the top of the strut actually fatigued and snapped off while the guy was driving. modify for sphericals and the problem went away.
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

It looks like there's a rubber bushing up top similar to the stock mount to allow for some articulation, although it appears that it wasn't flexible enough.

Comment

But the top of the spring still sits flat on the plate. It needs to stay parallel to the shock, which isn't always perpendicular to the upper mounting plate. Even if the rubber bushing was soft enough (or had a spherical) the spring would still introduce bending loads on the shaft. Add a proper perch and you'd be all set. Though it looks like you'd lose some travel since you can't move the lower perch down to compensate for the additional spacing up top.

Comment

What he said.

being able to pivot the strut shaft is one thing, but you gotta have the spring pivot with it.
                    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

LOL! Well done
                      S13: Makes ordinary men, into expert mechanics!

Comment

the upper rubber bushing was destroyed as well and has been replaced.

The 2 other things we have done is grind out a little more of the inside of the front 3rd link (hopefully preventing binding) and raised the car another 1/2".

We shall see what happens next.

I told Andy offsetting the top might help but I don't think he is interested in redesign since some people bashed him on g20.net and now there are 3 or 4 other 'cheaper' alternatives available.

Interestingly enough, I have yet to see anyone come up with an upper spherical setup for the g20. Only way I see that happening is if you go complete custom and do it yourself with something like a Moton setup and we are not about to invest over $5k into this car on just suspension!

Comment

You just have to find a top hat that will fit over the piston shaft, and find another upper mount that will mount onto the G20's strut tower.

Or you can find a spherical bearing that will fit the piston shaft, and just have a machine shop make you a spherical bearing mounting cup that you can either weld onto the upper mount plate or something.

Shoot, or you can just buy ones for the S13, and drill new holes for bolts to mount it onto the G20's strut.

You don't need Motons to do this man.
                          http://sosideways.wordpress.com/

Comment

It's easy enough to do with this setup- couple hundred bucks in machine work to what you've got and you'll have a solution. I bet Def or Tower or one of the other guys with machine shop access could fix you up.
                            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Mike (my husband) did do some 'grassroots' repositioning on the top mounts to offset them a bit more as well.

Looks like this now in front:

Comment

Working...
                              X