F80 M3 journal - A Boosted Baby Hauler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F80 M3 journal - A Boosted Baby Hauler

I owned a C6 ZO6 for a grand total of about 1 year and then replaced it with this M3 just before we had our son. It is my year round daily driver here in Wisconsin and I rock snow tires on it from about November through March. I will probably track it occasionally. Planning to do some minimal mods, not wanting to get too far down the rabbit hole on this one. Truthfully, it is quite good stock.

Here it is the day I got it and then with some work friends' P-cars...

These rear flares are why the M3 (sedan) is so preferable to the M4 (coupe) IMO. I just like four door M cars in general, it's way easier to deal with the baby seats and the better rear fender treatment is icing on the cake. I had a 4-door E36 M3 years ago which was a lot of fun.

My winter wheel and tire setup is a square set of Apex Wheels, 18x9 with 245/40 Michelin Pilot PA4. For snow tires they feel great and don't make dry road driving a total drag.

I have a set of TE37s on order and a set of fat RT615K+ tires sitting in my garage awaiting them. I'm just going to sell the stock wheels, they are forged staggered 19-inch wheels with the oh so popular machined face and dark barrel look that I don't love. They are really pretty nice, it's a split 5-spoke design and they're quite light for the size, but I would rather run 18s and I was having a hard time finding a set of the stock 18 inch wheels for a reasonable price locally. I started looking at pictures of M3s on TE37 and the rest is history.

I replaced some of the trim pieces that were chrome with black parts, and replaced the bumper reflectors mandated for the US cars with body painted. This was kind of an impulse buy but I do really enjoy the look with the chrome gone. I might be picking up a carbon rear "diffuser" piece from a friend's friend locally. The car came with an aftermarket rear carbon lip wing with kind of an odd shape, I will probably sell this and get a different one. I'd also like to get the OEM BMW side skirts that they made for the M4 but that fit the M3 with light modification. I don't think I'm putting any sort of front lip on the car, I like the look of the bumper without it and it would probably just get destroyed on parking stops, snow, etc.

Engine wise, I'm still on factory warranty. I tossed in some K&N filters. I will probably do a pair of downpipes and a tune at some point. There is a product called bootmod3 that is an OBD based tuning tool. You can do around 500 whp on pump gas, and high 500s on E85. The cars apparently can run E85 with entirely stock fuel system etc. I have a station about a mile from the house that is my main gas station anyways so this is pretty tempting, at least for the nice half of the year. The market for these cars is interesting, I can get a pair of downpipes for about $400 and the tuning tool with decent base maps for $600 and then make ridiculous power. Or, I could spend over $3,000 on an exhaust that probably doesn't make any power. Hm...

To be fair the stock exhaust does have a giant relatively ugly canister, but it flows well and has valves built in to alter the sound at different speeds and engine mapping settings. I hit the can with some black header paint and it disappears visually now. I might throw some aftermarket exhaust tips on there.

~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
    ~2016 M3, daily driver

I'm just here for the gangban... I mean rear fender treatment.

Nice ride - but not sure I'd want to own it too far out of the factory warranty based on my painful experiences!
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Ha, the fenders are sexy, I love em. I hear you on the warranty. It's a 2016 so hopefully I have a few good years to enjoy it. Zero issues thus far, about 20k miles on the clock.
      ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

I think BMW and Mercedes have become masters at providing a great experience for the initial purchaser, without the expense of making sure that durability carries through well past the original warranty period.

My E36 M3s were both reasonably high mileage (65>85k, and 110>155k), and they really didn't give me too much trouble. The higher mileage one needed some suspension work, but nothing unexpected. Cooling system let loose when I pushed it too far - expected. Otherwise pretty solid once the weak parts were sorted.

I don't think the modern cars really have the weak system or two, it's like everything starts wearing out ~15-35k mi past the warranty period and costs major bucks.

Comment

I hear you. My E36 as you recall was kind of a POS in the end and left my house for good on a flatbed with electronic gremlins. That said, the modem cars have so much complexity and a lot of trouble areas. The drive-train in these at least seems pretty robust. Hopefully the car around it doesn't fall apart.

Realistically, if I get~3 more years and 30-40k miles out of it I'll be happy. I'm not sure what I'd replace it with. Maybe a 911 once kids are out of rear facing seats. Owning a 911 that isn't a GT3 would probably piss me off though, knowing there's a cooler version out there! GT3 is the dream car for sure. I was really interested in the Focus RS but it didn't do much for me when they finally released it. An updated STI could have potential? (?)
          ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Based on the cars you've owned, I think a 911 or 911 Carrera 4S etc. would get kinda boring in relatively short order.

Now as a daily, a 911 Turbo S would be quite tasty, but you're talking some big bucks for a more luxo-GT cruiser type of car. I'm not sure I could pull the trigger on that vs. a GT3 if they were both in my price range.

Comment

Yea, me neither. GT3 would really need to be complemented by another car for winter. Fiesta ST that I could also rallycross would be fun. Not making any moves soon.
              ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Almost a year after ordering my wheels finally arrived. Really happy with these, all the blue might be too much for some but I'm liking it. I went with some pretty big Falken RT615k+. It was hard to find sticky street tires in a wide enough fitment for the rear. It's 18*9.5 275/35/18 front, 18x11 315/30/18 rear. I guess I am a Japanese car guy at heart, I also tossed on some Swift Spec R Springs that I got cheap used on the forum. Drop the car about 1 in, substantially higher rates, and a nice side benefit is that lowering the front gets me some more camber. Front camber is not adjustable in stock form, OE spec is like 1, and camber plates are like 600 bucks and will probably get destroyed with my winter driving. Now I have more like 2.

I also did a few track events since I can never get my **** together to have the S13 ready. The car is really fast and I'm getting more comfortable with it. I got a used set of pagid rs29 track pads for it, stock were completely inadequate. The nice thing is the cooling is all solid, neither the engine or trans overheat at all even hammering on it in the heat. I would definitely prefer to get the Nissan out there, should be for the next event.

~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Totally stanced out! I'm digging the wheels. The subtle blue work well, as it's not too much like if they were also smurf blue like the body.

Now we need some more S13 build updates!

Comment

I'm really liking the look too. Also can finally put the power down in lower gears so the car feels a fair bit faster. And a little more sidewall going from 19 to 18" sizing so the ride feels pretty good, however these are a bit shorter overall than stock.

Guilty on the S13 updates. I have a few little things I need to post up. The project car is just hard with the kiddo. Instead of pushing to get it on track for the Road America event this week, I decided to just get out there and enjoy myself with the M3. I haven't been on Road America in a couple years so I really didn't want to miss the event because of some mechanical problem that I haven't sorted out yet.
                    ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Working...
                    X