Considering parting out/trading my 240sx for... rx7 or 350z or rx8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering parting out/trading my 240sx for... rx7 or 350z or rx8

I am pretty bent on an FD RX7... but I am wondering how an rx8 or 350z would compare?

I've always loved a car that grips/corners/handles more than anything... but I do enjoy high speed runs too.

I know that rx7s can get close to 300km/hr with the right power mods. I doubt an rx8 can be as stable that fast? Pretty sure a 350z can top that.

RX7 has the looks in my opinion over either.

Which of the cars can ultimately have more mechanical grip and better cornering? Which of the cars has the superior chassis/suspension? They are all doublewishbone aluminum arm setups are they not?
    "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

350z will be most reliable and fastest stock, but heavy and doesn't handle as well. Rx7 will handle best stock. Rx8 will be between the two, but are great race cars. Nimble, quick, reliable.

When you want to do stupid **** like go 200+mph, then you throw all that out the window and go for power.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

The FD RX7 is a beautiful and great handling car, but the twin-turbo motor is fragile in a major way that non-rotor heads won't understand. The RX8 is also a nice car, but neither of them will ever be mentioned together in a sentence with the word "torque" or fuel mileage. Honda's are tractors by comparison!

The 350Z is pudgy, but much more reliable and makes great noise with a good aftermarket cat-back system. If you go this way you definately want to look for a later model with the VQ35HR (hi-rev) motor vs. the orginial VQ35DE. The Infiniti G35 coupe is the same chassis but 8" longer wheelbase and a fancier interior.

I won't tell Matt that 300Km/hr is only ~186MPH, but doing that in any of these 3 cars will require cubic money. You'd get closer to that goal (with less money) in a C5 or C6 Z06.
      Don Johnson (really!)
      Just so you know.

Comment

Norotors.com

/thread
        Originally posted by Jason M
        I have no chance to win without the Giken...

Comment

Unfortunately a c6 corvette costs 60,000$ on average in Canada. I love C6 vettes, but they are just too expensive in Canada.. I can get an NSX cheaper lol... but that's still too much money

An rx7 with a v8 would be sweet indeed.
          Last edited by a_ahmed; 09-29-2013, 09:07 AM.
          "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

A 370Z is a MAJOR step up from VQ35DE 350Z's, and quite the step up from even VQ35HR 350's. It's a much more nimble chassis, or at least it feels like it. Makes decent power stock, doesn't weigh an absolute ton. A quick search shows you should be able to snag an early 370Z for ~$20k or so (seems high to me given their MSRP, but I know 350Z's were pretty slow to fall into the mid-low teens).

RX8's are fun, but not fast in any sense, and the stock motor is never going to get you there.

FD's are amazing looking - I've always lusted after one. But they're pretty expensive to mod, and the 13B-REW is not the most robust mill out there as was mentioned. I think an SR swap into one would make for some good lol's. (I know, it's already been done, but as a drag car). I'd also feel bad hacking one up, whereas I like having projects to really mess around with the S13.
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Unfortunately like a vette, a 370z is not anywhere in that price range in canada lol.. you're looking at 60k in canada...

Comment

hands down, c5's are the best bang for the buck. well, at least my hands down opinion. they are amazing and relatively cheap.

that being said, my dream car is a lsx fd. i'll build one someday. once I finish my turbo morris minor.... ugh. too many projects.

our 2005 prius is going to get the rwd sr20det treatment when it eventually bites the dust.

either that or just a carbureted small block chevy or ford. just to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by a_ahmed View Post
                  Unfortunately like a vette, a 370z is not anywhere in that price range in canada lol.. you're looking at 60k in canada...
                  $60k??? They're low $30k's USD brand new. Surely they can't be much more expensive up there.

C5s are a bargain on speed, but they're also expensive to really shore up for track usage. I think it's gotten better over time, but I know a while ago the decent parts for them were big $$$.
                  '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                  http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

If you want to hit 300kph, pick the thing on that list with the smallest frontal area and stuff a big V8 in the front.

That will I think require the smallest amount of cubic money. All options you listed would be fun.
                    '95 240sx

Comment

Not to rain in on your parade, but if you are having issues being able to afford a Vette, I don't see how you would be able to build a car capable of going 300kph AND be a good track car?

Here is something that may fit all of your needs, though. (well... most)

http://www.bsmotorsport.co.uk/porsch...T2Evo/3856.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                        $60k??? They're low $30k's USD brand new. Surely they can't be much more expensive up there.
                        This. I live in Canada... No, they are not 60K...

Comment

Originally posted by a_ahmed View Post
                          I am pretty bent on an FD RX7...
                          Enough said.

Comment

I came in for flames, and found none!

Fd is my vote as well.

Is the Lsx as cheap and plentiful there as it is here in the US?

If not, then I vote for an s2k swap, boosted, with a v160.
                            1990 240sx - Aristo 2JZGTE, R154, GT37, Defsport Wilwood kit, KTS coilovers - daily driver
                            1991 civic si - B18C5 / toda / ATS / hytech - autox
                            2001 integra type R - Greddy td05-18g - garage queen

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisw View Post
                              This. I live in Canada... No, they are not 60K...

What are you talking about? Please find me a brand new corvette for 30k in canada. Check autotrader.ca and tell me how you find in ontario 30k corvettes. Maybe 36-38k used... plus tax, plus financing, etc...

Still I'm not looking to spend more than 10-15k then over time build up the car hence an fd rx7 makes a lot of sense to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X