996 Roll Cage Work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 996 Roll Cage Work

One of my good buddies has a local fab shop. He can pretty much weld anything, but his speciality is putting roll cages into various Porsches. He's a mad man and a fantastic fabricator.

Anywho, here are some pictures from a recent GT3 996. Customer wanted the cage tight to the chassis, but not overly obtrusive in vision. This seems to work. It's not over the top, but still a quality piece.

Shameless plug: If you guys know anyone in Northeast USA that wants a nice cage, or any fab work just send them to JPC Fabrication

'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
    [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
    [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

And to those curious to the sideways supertrap's on the exhaust, that's how you pass the noise level requirements at LimeRock.

Comment

Nice looking cage. I like the fitment. I see so many cages that are like a foot away from the chassis or have an a-pillar bar that comes down 18" from the firewall.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

That's the fitment I'm hoping to achieve as my cage progresses. Takes so much more time to make sure all of the measurements are exact and the bends are perfect to the degree. So worth it in the long run though.
        My Blog | Unfriendly Garage | Endurance Motorsports

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
          Nice looking cage. I like the fitment. I see so many cages that are like a foot away from the chassis or have an a-pillar bar that comes down 18" from the firewall.
          I forgot what classing the cars are in, but I know that there is a rule about not being able to weld the chassis to the cage persay, aside from the mounting points.

On this yellow for example the guy wanted the cage to touch the chassis, so he did it (don't mind the paitners tape we got it out). I persoanlly would be worried about vibration noise from it, but they say there is none:

Now the Cayman cages are a little different. They can't follow the door pillar exact or you'd have a wierd bend in them. There is still a ton of room though.

Comment

I'd be scared of the door bars on the Cayman from punching through my kidneys in a wreck.. That's one helluva bend there..

I saw one cage done by my local guy where they put the main hoop and A pillar bars in, then used a porta-power to mash them out to the chassis before putting the rest of the horizontal braces in. He said when they were on a rough track, the cage would squeak against the chassis...

another trick he did for Showroom Stock cars (no chassis bracing allowed) was to build the cage over some of the factory seat belt holes and such. then they drilled holes in the cage, ran bolts through into those mounts, cut the heads off the bolts and TIG'd them to the cage. then they ground it smooth, a touch of bondo to get rid of grinding marks, and the bolts completely disappeared when they painted the cage. After they put the trim back in the car, nobody was the wiser. voila!
            Originally posted by SoSideways
            I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
            '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Yea, I'm not a huge NASCAR door bar fan unless they have the downward bars that are in compression on a hit holding the bent bar out. If you leave those out, it's not very strong at all even though it weighs a ton.

The best cheap way I've seen to do door bars is take two bars and bend them out into the door a few inches making an uninterrupted X and weld them together then put a gusset on both sides. Basically you have a bent X that is as thick as two bars in the middle. In a hit it will force the main hoop and a-pillar bar to spread, taking a ton of energy in the process.

Comment

Nice work, I'll be in the market for a 4 point cage at some point in the next few years but probably something more budget oriented.

GT3...sigh. Wish there was a GT3 style Cayman, that'd be cool.
                ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
                  Nice work, I'll be in the market for a 4 point cage at some point in the next few years but probably something more budget oriented.

GT3...sigh. Wish there was a GT3 style Cayman, that'd be cool.
                  Then who would buy a regular 911 to do trackdays?

Actually I hear Porsche is kicking themselves a bit since the Cayman is cannibalizing more 911 sales than they expected.

Comment

I totally understand what you mean with the tubes being welded to the rocker panel, but again these are examples were some of the ruling doesn't allow for attachment of the cage to the chassis in places like that. On the normal cars he actually continues the verticle tubes down to the rockers. It's crazy the amount of rulebooks and regulation regarding cage stuff across the many different sanctioning bodies and run groups...perplexing that there isn't a 'standard' yet.

I do know though that while those bars are not perfect, they do work. The first Cayman he ever did got wild up through the bus-stop at the Glen and collided with the wall...the bars worked just as intended by helping bounce the car a little. Driver never even had the bars touch him.

Originally posted by Def View Post
                    Actually I hear Porsche is kicking themselves a bit since the Cayman is cannibalizing more 911 sales than they expected.
                    It's gotta be true, as Jay has done a considerable amount more Caymans this year/last year than 911's...can't blame guys as they are a great little car.

Comment

The price differential is pretty huge, not that the Cayman is an outstanding value, but still.
                      ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                      ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
                        The price differential is pretty huge, not that the Cayman is an outstanding value, but still.
                        It's almost half the cost of a 911, kinda crazy to think for 9/10 the car.

Comment

not to mention the motor is on the correct side of the transaxle....
                          I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Originally posted by CodyAce View Post
                            I totally understand what you mean with the tubes being welded to the rocker panel, but again these are examples were some of the ruling doesn't allow for attachment of the cage to the chassis in places like that. On the normal cars he actually continues the verticle tubes down to the rockers. It's crazy the amount of rulebooks and regulation regarding cage stuff across the many different sanctioning bodies and run groups...perplexing that there isn't a 'standard' yet.

I do know though that while those bars are not perfect, they do work. The first Cayman he ever did got wild up through the bus-stop at the Glen and collided with the wall...the bars worked just as intended by helping bounce the car a little. Driver never even had the bars touch him.

It's gotta be true, as Jay has done a considerable amount more Caymans this year/last year than 911's...can't blame guys as they are a great little car.
                            My big issue with this particular installation is the door bars have two huge- nearly 90 deg bends right where it needs to be strongest. If the main hoop was moved forward a touch (dependent on the location of the seats) and/or the door frame was notched a tad for the cage, you could make those an almost straight run to the main hoop and regain a ton of strength there.
                            http://blehmco.com/pics/240SX/roll_cage/DSCN0215.jpg
                            http://blehmco.com/pics/240SX/roll_cage/DSCN0218.jpg

My door bars don't protrude nearly as far into the door and the bottom tube is much straighter (almost straight).. The top tube still has the same issue, but to a MUCH lesser degree. There was plenty of room in mine to have slightly bent or notched the door frame to make the tube have a straight run into the main hoop. Even with that, you can see how much room there is between the door bars and my seat in those shots. By the time the cage deforms enough to hit my seat, I'm going to have other problems anyway. (i.e. neck/back injuries)
                            Originally posted by SoSideways
                            I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                            '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Not disagreeing with the comments, but you need to consider the class they run in, the rules, and the associated tech. With the cup cars there are additional bars welded to the rocker (like a real nascar) and so forth, but on the ones wehere you can't cut the body an you can't attach them, this is the norm (not even just for him, with most Cayman/911 guys). I know on paper it may not be right (and this may be the worst way to view safety, but it's the only reference) but no one has gotten remotely close to being hurt by the bars in an accident where impact involved the 'Nascar' Bars.

It's a matter of perfection vs the rules vs nothing at all. I personally would go with a traditional X door brace, or a real nascar bar but it's been proven time and time again that even these "2/3" Nascar bars help deflect/bounce the car and work as a slight crumble zone to absorb impact, and generally work very well.

Comment

Working...
                              X