No announcement yet.

Def's New Ride: SW22

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just measured, the tips are about 41-42" apart (Berk tips seem to be angled out from centerline a bit). Two 18" body mufflers might not work for that. I figure 18" body > ~1-1.5" at the very least width to join them (probably a V-band, not even sure I could realistically weld such a tight connection). Then if I trim the outlets down to where I'm immediately turning, that only leaves a 3" centerline radius if it's RIGHT against the body of the muffler. A 2.5" mandrel can be 3.75" CLR at tightest, which is only 1.5D, and as tight as you can really go. If I can get the bodies joined with a 1" gap, and immediately start a bend at the exit, I'd have to bend everything back on each side by ~1.25". Probably more like 1.5-2" after it's all put together. Could be doable, could be damn near impossible with the space I've got.

Sooo... 2x 18" body mufflers might be too much to reasonably fit. I could do an 18" body transverse muffler into a 14" body muffler then cover it up with a sheet of stainless across both mufflers. More fab work overall and more cost.

There's still the question of if going through ~32" of straight through muffler is going to knock the sound down enough.

Or I could hit the easy button with the Vibrant muffler and try to squeeze a cat in right before it goes up over the rear crossmember. It's only 24" wide, and I hope that's the overall body. I wish it was more like 30" wide. It'd be larger, and look a little better. I could put two exhaust valves, cracked open on both sides, and as it gets into boost they'll open up and it'll be a straight through setup. Vacuum is super easy since the intake manifold is basically right over the muffler.. hah

On cost, the Vibrant muffler is about the same cost as the Magnaflows when they're polished, and a little more if the Magnaflows are not polished. But fab wise the Vibrant would be easier than joining two mufflers, getting them both hung, etc. for the MF.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Came across these vids of a stock 350Z muffler on an MR2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBtdm40rDaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXGoM1Wig2o

Seems like it'll fit with minimal work, and it's a 3 chamber muffler with a little packing. Weighs like 35 lbs or so. A little chunky, but it's a nice transverse design that'll allow me to run a cat that's running transversely between it and the crossmember:

Flow direction:

OR.... I could use this 350Z cheap eBay exhaust that's 3" and I'm guessing straight through. But it's still a pretty decently sized transverse muffler for cheaper than just the Vibrant muffler I mentioned earlier:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cat-back-Ex...itleDesc=0%7C0

I could always toss a 3" exhaust valve inline with it if it's obnoxiously loud, but it looks like a larger muffler body than the Vibrant... and I'd have all that extra tubing to make a b-pipe from the downpipe to the muffler itself.

The stock 350Z is probably giving up a decent bit of power on a turbo 300-350 rwhp setup, and might even be a tad bit too quiet. But it's got to make more power and be quieter than the Berk with 2 restrictors in it that choke it down to about 2.1" tube equivalent flowing out with a pretty poor discharge coefficient on the sharp entry.

The eBay exhaust honestly sounds nicer if I want a higher flowing option and I could maybe tame for cruising with an exhaust valve that I keep cracked open maybe halfway.'

Thoughts?

Comment

The eBay option is a pretty cheap entry. Is there nothing decent made for these cars?
        ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
        ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Most the quiet JDM type exhausts were long since discontinued (common theme with MR2 stuff, aftermarket and OEM ).

There is a shop that does group buys of a replica of the GReddy SP, which is one of the quieter 3" exhausts. No idea if it's baffled or not, but it's supposedly quite a bit quieter than the Berk. Finally heard back from them that they'll do another GB early-mid next year, which is a long time away.

I also finally heard back from the previous owner of the car, and he's willing to box up the stock exhaust and ship it to me. I think that's the way I'll go right now, as it'll be a fairly quick MotoIQ level bolt-in install, and give me time to work on other things rather than many weekends fabbing a custom exhaust. Hopefully he comes through and then I can wait around for the TCS exhaust... or do something custom. But the stock exhaust will be fine to drive around with for a while.

Comment

As I sit here roasting with no AC in the house... I started wondering why there are no real Indycar EFRs floating around. It seemed like quite a few were leaking out ~3-4 years ago, but it seems to have mostly dried up from a quick search.

Anybody know of some super secret "race part" site that would have them listed, possibly without using common naming of the turbos?

Comment

Wasn't that one dude on zilvia selling 3 or 4 of them at some point?

Comment

Search nasioc.com (suby site). I remember a dude selling a few on there.
                Core4 Motorsports
                CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
                S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

Wait, the place you just moved to have a broken HVAC system?? Sorry dude

So a couple things with the IndyCar EFR

I had my hands on a few (a 6758 and a 7163). All are mileaged out. Some are sent back to BW, some are from team liquidation and end up for sale. But mostly, they were all stock since the teams went to twin 7163 from twin 6758 (and the big single 9180??). There are race team auctions all the time

Either way, it seems when the turbos are timed out, they are able to be rebuilt (I think a place called PowerHouse or something along those lines rebuilds them. I think the only official EFR rebuilder. That or the race teams just rebuild them themselves is my assumption).

Also, a couple things
                  1) V band inlet is IndyCar proprietary. I had an inside line on the flanges, but haven't spoken to the guy in ages (he works for Roush/Fenway)
                  2) 3 bolt inlet is IndyCar propriety

Those 2 things means no one really want them. Also, mileage out.

Comment

Originally posted by RalliartRsX View Post
                    Wait, the place you just moved to have a broken HVAC system?? Sorry dude

So a couple things with the IndyCar EFR

I had my hands on a few (a 6758 and a 7163). All are mileaged out. Some are sent back to BW, some are from team liquidation and end up for sale. But mostly, they were all stock since the teams went to twin 7163 from twin 6758 (and the big single 9180??). There are race team auctions all the time

Either way, it seems when the turbos are timed out, they are able to be rebuilt (I think a place called PowerHouse or something along those lines rebuilds them. I think the only official EFR rebuilder. That or the race teams just rebuild them themselves is my assumption).

Also, a couple things
                    1) V band inlet is IndyCar proprietary. I had an inside line on the flanges, but haven't spoken to the guy in ages (he works for Roush/Fenway)
                    2) 3 bolt inlet is IndyCar propriety

Those 2 things means no one really want them. Also, mileage out.
                    Not a broken AC system - NO AC system! Only ~33% of the houses in the Seattle area have AC, and honestly it's not too bad for most the year. But it did get into the 90's for the last couple of days and that sucked. It's going to be in the 70s as a high coming up here soon, that'll be very nice. I'm definitely saving some pennies up for central AC though (already have a gas furance and air handler, plus electrical run for the condenser unit) - going to be pricey to get it done here tho'...

On the IRL EFRs, I'd definitely change it out to a T4 IWG housing, but I'd be pretty far along buying a cheap IRL turbo. I could also weld an inlet onto the comp housing, but I wouldn't mind the integrated BOV which it's missing. On the mileage out, I imagine they are very conservative for how far they push a turbo. A possibly failure isn't worth getting a little more life out of a CHRA. So I imagine they still have a LONG life ahead of them in a typical street/track car scenario like we put them up to.

It's not the way I was planning to go, I was just a little surprised to see very few of them popping up when searching.

Comment

They mileage out based off heat cycles, so yes somewhat conservative. However, not all are mileaged out of heat cycles and some may have shown some odd wear characteristics. Its a roll of the dice.

Yep. By the time you factor in BPV and internal gate, you are in BNIB territory. Yeah, Ive been down that route.....twice lol

Comment

I wouldn't think heat cycles would be that bad. They're running on E85 afterall - how nasty could it be for a water cooled turbo? Like I said, the cost is so minor they're probably super conservative on the lifespan.

Comment

Bummer on the discontinued parts situation. At least you can probably get decent $$ for the Berk ATS etc parts on the car now as you turn them over.
                          ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                          ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Yea, it's like what happened with the S chassis world, but with less cars/total market size, and not as many knockoffs to take the place if you at least want SOMETHING to bolt-in.

I tried to install some front speakers and using the adapters that came in the box didn't leave me very happy with the solution. So I either need to cut some out of some 3/8-1/2" HDPE or maybe an off the shelf solution that's thick enough.

Comment

I asked my buddy what he just used. He says:
                              http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK069

Comment

Yea, I contacted the guy and he finally got back to me many days later with a cost for a thicker bracket, but didnít really offer a way to pay. I just bought an HPDE cutting board and will make them myself. Quicker and cheaper.

plus I need to get all my tools organized. This is a good shove in that direction since Iíll need a bunch of power tools.

Comment

Working...
                                X